GravityGirl

I want to hear your sucess story!

When I first started skydiving I had a little craziness bug tucked into my brain that surfaced when I skydived more than it should have. I am sure I made more than a couple people nervous. But I was always surrounded by good people that did not banish me or push me away and it rubbed off on me. This was way before my instructor days. I remember the day I actually made that first concious safe decision to be a bit more aware and be resposible not just for my self but for others as well. It was a while ago but we where climbing to altitude on a questionable day. Lot's of clouds, rain, wind, etc... For some reason I was near the door and was asked to be the spotter. For some reason there where a low experience level overall ont he plane. I think me a my 400 jumps at the time was the most. Anyway, I remebered before I stuck my head out the door that the base of the clouds where between 3-7K. I thought "fuck I don't give a damn, I'll be fine, I am getting out this door regardless... I wanna punch some puffiiieees." So there I am looking out the door and it's complete white out. I can't even make out land marks anywhere to guage our position. Pilot was flying with a Loran and did have a GPS at the time. So I tell him cut and get ready to bail and I notice 2-3 young experince looking jumpers with rental rigs on and for some reason i ask "hey how many jumps do you have? Have you ever punched clouds?" Let's just say the answers where not good enough for the conditions we where in. I quickly shut the door and yellled at the pilot to take us down below the clouds. Those jumpers on the plane that knew me well looked at me in awe. Jaws dropped, dazed looks... "did Seb just do what i think he did?"

I quickly looked at the newer jumpers and said something that never really registered until that moment... "hey better to be on the ground wishing you where up here than being up here wishing you where on the ground"

We went down and found some space and got out the plane around 7K. But that was a definative moment where my cavalier reckless atttitude changed. Don't why but it did but it did. Everyone got down safe. Even though I would have been fine to get out and would have made it down probably with no issues I wasn't sure that the less experienced folks should have gotten out.

To this day there are jokes from people that where on that load that kid. "I remember the exact definitive moment Seb got responsible!" And then the story goes like I said above more or less....B|;)

It was a good decision.

In 1991/92 I went to Perris. I had about 50 jumps at the time and I pretty much sucked. I ran into John Hamilton, who said hello and asked where I was from etc. When I was getting ready to leave he said "Hey, we're going to do a 12 way; want to go?" Now, I had never done a successful 4 way at that point, but I was willing to try.

We took off in the DC-3 after Mary Pat came running after it with her camera helmet. We launched the 12-way and ended up turning 6 points, including three piece moves. I must have watched that video 100 times.

Of course, I figured I had somehow gotten much better at Perris, and was suprised when I didn't seem to be any better when I got back to NY. Years later I read the signatures in my logbook - John Eagle, Kate Cooper, Tony Domenico, Dan BC, John Hamilton - and I realized that it wasn't me that had made that dive work.

Years later Hammo and I jumped onto a beach in Cabo with some little starlets for an MTV special, and got paid the big bucks to do it. I wonder if, back in 1991, he thought that flailing geek from NY would ever amount to anything. But in the end, it was because of people like him that I did.

I was having trouble relaxing and had to repeat L2 several times. I could not get the arch.
Solly Williams took 10 minutes from his busy day to dirt fly with me. During that time he told me I was to think of him holding a very large needle over my ass. If I did not get my ass down he was going to stick me.

Pine at Deland. He told me to F"" the sky.

Because of them I was get my arch and was able to pass L3-7 in 1 jump each.

There have been others but they deserve my biggest thanks.

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez

A few tidbits:

The first time I found myself around a bonfire at a boogie, I overheard Bryan Burke talking about landings. He said simply "If you're stabbing your toggles, you're f***ing up."
That was probably nine years ago. I still remember it, and it has for the most part kept me out of the corner ever since.

I printed and saved Bill Vons treatise on flat turns off of wreck dot.
Eventually, I overlooked a set of power lines at an unfamiliar dz. I realized a little too late that they were there, and had to turn. In large part due to reading Bill Von, I knew enough to do a flat turn, and only broke my ankle, when I otherwise would have been killed.
-Josh
If you have time to panic, you have time to do something more productive. -Me*
*Ron has accused me of plagiarizing this quote. He attributes it to Douglas Adams.

Speaking of Mr. Burke! I remember some 8 or 9 years ago, I had a little cypres incident in Quincy. When I got back to my booth, Brian handed me a glass of whiskey and said, "Thanks. I haven't seen anything that stupid in a while." :$

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Peace and Blue Skies!
Bonnie ==>Gravity Gear!