alphawolf

Realistic Costs to get into the sport?

Jumping without an AAD is no more dangerous now than it was then.

Agree. It is better to jump without one than to buy an AAD and then end up making 20 jumps a year because you run out of money. The same applies to rigs in general. My first instructor said it is better to be current than jump a shiny gear. There is a limit, of course, and I would not suggest to buy a rig that is unsafe to jump.

AAD is compulsory in Australia for all jumpers as of January if I am not mistaken. Is it compulsory for A-license holders at least in the US?

Neither the USPA nor the government require any licensed jumper to have an AAD. Some individual dropzones choose to require AADs for all jumpers or just jumpers below a certain experience level, but most don't.

Old joke: How much does the first jump course cost?

135.00 and a third of your income for the rest of your life.;)

I have spent around 45,000 on jumps alone.

Good safe gear should run around 2500-3000.

All depends on what you want...BUY USED. You don't need new and you will not keep it that long. I did 370 on my first rig and that was a bunch.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

A friend of mine who I thought had more than 500 jumps was buying his first cypress. He said it was because a new rule that came in making it compulsary to wear a cypress. Mind you he could have been mistaken, or he might have less than 500. If anyone else knows anything, please it would be nice to know.

Depends how much it grabs you.. as to how much it's going to cost ..

Before I'd finished AFF I was hooked and I have only recently moved out of the completely obsessed stage after a year of being able to think about nothing else. Below is roughly what I spent within 12 months of getting hooked - mind you I did buy new and I did choose to travel quite a bit:

$2,775 AFF / A-Licence
$5,200 Rig (new)
$350 Jumpsuit (new)
$450 Alti/Helmet (new)
$4,600 Jump tickets
$4,000 Travel and accomodation
$240 USPA/BPA memberships

$17,615 TOTAL

You think that's bad ... WAIT TILL YOU GET HOOKED ON THE WIND TUNNEL .. HAHAHAHA .. I've not even bothered putting down what I've spent on that baby .... but its probably the same again.

I've got about 90 minutes in the tunnel. That cost me around 1,100. I bought some a couple of 10 minute blocks and the rest was 2 minute tickets.

I think the package deal for AFF runs around 1400 if you pay all together, and jump each level only once.

hmmmm... lessee...

AFF - $1,200
case of beer for graduation.. $20
app. 25 jumps with rental gear.. $1,000
4 or 5 of those being coach jumps.. $200
A license... $45
beer for getting A license.. $20
new to you used rig with cypress.. $2,300
jumpsuit, helmet, alti.. $600
beer for jumping your own gear.. $20

So.. $5,405 to get a shiny new A license, about 35 jumps and some good used gear.

then every weekend and half your income for the rest of your life..

until you figure out you need to cut the costs and become staff somewhere.. then the bleeding slows.. but it takes about 500 jumps before you can start jumping for $$

so figure another $9,000 in jumps, $500 in beer and another $5,000 in equipment.

Yup.. that's about it.. $20k to get to the point where it costs alot less to skydive.. Course, that would be the less expensive route..

The more expensive route..

You could buy all new gear...
2 rigs, 3 jumpsuits, 3 helmets, 2 dytters, video camera, altimeter, digital still camera, misc. lenses, gear bag, etc.. $18,000..

and get lotsa coaching and go to all the boogies.. $25,000..

and spend $43,000 doing your first 500 jumps..

and just screw that whole idea of ever becoming a working skydiver..

Most people do something in between.. :)
chopchop
gotta go... Plaything needs a spanking..

Lotsa Pictures

Dean, you need to get your parents involved, i.e., they should be financially supportive so that both they and you know that you have the latest and safest gear. It will go a long way in calming nerves all around, and provide you with an opportunity to advance your skills at a steady pace.

Welcome!

It is possible to buy good used equipment and enjoy the sport even if you can't turn your new hobby into a lifestyle.

If you can only make a few jumps a month, try to pack them into the same couple of days, rather than doing one here, another there, etc., at least until you develop some basic flying skills. Your learning curve will not be as dramatic as that of your peers, but you'll still have a great time with a bunch of great people and you will, over time, improve.

Safety has more to do with your attitude than your gadjets. One of the biggest curses in the sport has become the widespread use of AAD's, only because this has led to a mindset whereby people become afraid to jump without them. Back when most jumpers didn't use AAD's we didn't approach the door with added apprehension. We really didn't think about it. Today, new jumpers are being trained to regard the lack of an AAD as not much different than jumping without a reserve.

If your DZ won't let you jump without one, find one that will. And, of course, if you want an AAD and can afford one, go for it. You don't need an audible altimeter, booties, or the latest top-of-the-line helmet, either. Just progress at your own pace and enjoy your sky time.

Let us know how it's going.

Cheers,

Jon S.

This may be true that some people are becoming complacent due to the introduction of an AAD. But what about mid air collisions, lines around the neck, collision with the plane, hitting head on the way out and other unfortunate accidents that may induce unconsciousness.

I think the AAD is a great thing for me as a student, but I recognise that if it fires under normal conditions I should have a long hard look if skydiving is for me as this should be only a very last resort. I think you are making the asumption that all students see the AAD as being only if you forget. I see it as being if you are unable to pull for whatever reason.

I would not jump a rig without an AAD for the above reasons, I like the fact that it is compulsary for all to wear one.

Assume ~$7,500 for your first year in the sport. Training, gear, license fees, first 100 jumps, etc.

Seconded...18mo after starting I have an A and ~125 jumps...I was jumping consistently for 12mo straight, visiting multiple DZs...now I'm pretty much broke, so for the last 6mo I've been out of it, trying to figure out how to get $ to get back in...excuses excuses I suppose. But one does have to eat and pay bills.

Anyway, yeah a solid year, all the gear (some second hand, some not), licensing, training, travel, food, beer, etc etc....Quicken says I've spent $8525.05. I keep pretty good track of all my nickels, so I'd say that's probably 95-99% of all my skydive related expenses.

I would say one of the biggest mistakes a new person could make would be to underestimate the costs of getting trained, licensed, and purchasing essential gear (alti, helmet, etc). It would be very frustrating to get half way through the Student Program, or get into the A Licensing Program and not have the $ complete it. Give yourself the tools to be successful, this is not a sport where you want to cut corners.

IMO, skydiving has been the most expensive sport I've ever been involved in. In my experience I spent less on snowboarding, skiing, bmx bike riding, and mtn biking (on a per year basis). Obviously there are ways to have different experiences...But for example, you only buy one $60 lift ticket in snowboarding per day. In skydiving, you buy 3-5+ jump tickets a day...and even at the low low price of $16-$17/jump you will easily exceed a snowboard/ski lift ticket and burger.

...oh yeah, it was worth it ;)
Does whisky count as beer? - Homer
There's no justice like angry mob justice. - Skinner
Be careful. There's a limited future in low pulls - JohnMitchell

And don't believe a word they say when other jumpers tell you not to worry because the sport gets cheaper after AFF is over! People used to tell me that all the time.

Of course it starts with a rig and then as you progress it becomes newer canopies, then a camera setup, then a wingsuit and then even more toys and so on and so forth. Still, i wouldn't trade it for the world! :D

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

No doubt. Its like crack. I load up the Square 1 website or Dropzone classifieds and I'm giddy like a Valley girl with Daddy's VISA at Nordstrums.
---------------------------------------------------------------
There is a fine line between 'hobby' and 'mental illness'.
--Dave Barry

This may be true that some people are becoming complacent due to the introduction of an AAD. But what about mid air collisions, lines around the neck, collision with the plane, hitting head on the way out and other unfortunate accidents that may induce unconsciousness.

I think the AAD is a great thing for me as a student, but I recognise that if it fires under normal conditions I should have a long hard look if skydiving is for me as this should be only a very last resort. I think you are making the asumption that all students see the AAD as being only if you forget. I see it as being if you are unable to pull for whatever reason.

I would not jump a rig without an AAD for the above reasons, I like the fact that it is compulsary for all to wear one.

_ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _

True, an AAD can be useful despite one's best efforts to avoid a "situation," but I hate to see people pass up the sport because they can't afford a Cypres.

With a little awareness & common sense you'll spend your entire jumping career without ever needing an AAD. Many of us have lasted many years without one.

I won't quibble with AAD requirements for students, but I think you're far too eager to accept this "big brother" mentality of forcing everyone to wear one.

I used an AAD for most of my student jumps. In fact, when I had about 20-ish jumps I was gearing up and they brought me a (chest mount) reserve without one. I asked if I could have an AAD and they said "sure!" and reminded me not to be shy about asking.

As I approached the end of my student career I began jumping the used rig I would soon be buying. The DZO simply reminded me that it didn't have an AAD and that if anything happened I'd have to be sure to pull the reserve myself. There was nothing unusual or controversial about this. (Besides, I had already had my first reserve ride on my 14th jump and had pulled it myself, before the AAD went off.)

It's a pure cost/benefit issue. I can't/don't want to deal with the concomitant costs & maintenance hassles (not to mention the outside possibiliy of a misfire) associated with AAD's.

Yes, an accident can happen. As in other situations, I place my trust in the same God who knows when the sparrows fall. I would appreciate DZO's & other authorities not interfering with my choice & imposing their own narrow views on me by forcing me to use an AAD just because they think I should. If you follow the incident reports, you'll see far more people getting hurt & dying while landing hot, fast
canopies than by going in on no-pulls.

Enjoy your sky!!:ph34r:

Cheers,
Jon

Reading some of these posts, I just can't imagine if I had spent as much as some of the people here.

My first jump (IAD Student) was 5/11/2003 and these are my expenditures (US $):

1st Jump Course=$130
13 Student jumps at 45 each=$585
15 student jumps at 50 each=$750
35 jumps at 0-20 each=$581
Used gear with AAD=$1200
New protec helmet=$35
Used helmet=$150
Used jumpsuit=$50
Used altimeter=$100
Repacks/AAD checkup=$396
Logbook=$10
Tunnel-$100
Used main=$375
Total=$4,759 and does not include any travel expense, lodging, meals or beer.

This total should be a little higher, but many jumps were weathered out and I've had to sit out a few small periods of time due to injuries, both skydiving related and non-skydiving related.

You can get a good deal on some nice used gear if you simply shop around instead of buying the first thing you see. Also, check pro shops at local dz's for used gear.

david
--------------------------------------------------
Failure to prepare is preparing to fail

i have spent around 8-10k US dollars in my firt year, i got my AFF did like 50 jumps with rental gear, bought my own gear for 3500, and i bought the accesories like audiable altimeter, goggles, jump suit, and now have 143 jumps,
this does not include my transportation, consideing i have been to 9 DZ's across the states and I am fro Puerto Rico...
come on down in Feb. for our boogie,... check out the video on skydivingmovies.com its killer!

blue skies,
dan
HISPA 72 ----- "Muff Brother" 3733

What I can add to this conversation is:

I have about a year and a half in now. My first full season as a non-student cost me about $5200. Thats packing for myself, buying a helmet, and having some work done on a jumpsuit. I made close to 300 jumps and went to rantoul.

Of course now in 2005 I just bought another helmet and a camera+accessories. Oh and I can't forget the tunnel time in two weeks.
~D
Where troubles melt like lemon drops Away above the chimney tops That's where you'll find me.
Swooping is taking one last poke at the bear before escaping it's cave - davelepka