CerealKilla

Barrell Rolls

I just thought of a question. I am just off AFF and have been solo for about 4 jumps now. At his time, since I have no instructor to grade me, I am basically working on basics in freefall. I try barellrolls about 2wice a jump but can't seem to complete one. I get into a relaxed belly to earth position, then bring in one arm to my chest, where no part of my arm extends past my torso. I think I should start rolling, but I usually get about halfway and come to a stop. Reflexively, I tried to kick around which really screws things up. Arch, Arch, Arch, and I am back to belly to earth. I have no problem with regaining stability after the disorienting maneuver, but I wish I could get the damn barrellroll down...Any suggestions? >:(

Confuscious say: "It take many nail to make a baby crib...but only one screw to fill it."

If you have access to a pool . . .

You might try floating face down in the pool and give it a shot.

I think you'll find that if you press down with the arm, roll your body and keep your body fairly straight -- it'll work.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

I just thought of a question. I am just off AFF and have been solo for about 4 jumps now. At his time, since I have no instructor to grade me, I am basically working on basics in freefall. I try barellrolls about 2wice a jump but can't seem to complete one. I get into a relaxed belly to earth position, then bring in one arm to my chest, where no part of my arm extends past my torso. I think I should start rolling, but I usually get about halfway and come to a stop. Reflexively, I tried to kick around which really screws things up. Arch, Arch, Arch, and I am back to belly to earth. I have no problem with regaining stability after the disorienting maneuver, but I wish I could get the damn barrellroll down...Any suggestions? >:(

I am NOT a Instructor! I am a Student!

Sounds like you are not completing the move...only going halfway...not following through.

From the CSPA PIM 2A....

ROLLS

A barrel roll is achieved by varying the air pressure from one side of the body to the other.

set up in a box

To initiate, bring your legs close together and extend them.Bring one arm in across your chest, roll the shoulder under and leave the opposite arm extended to your side.

To follow through:)
To counter, return to the "box" position as you return to a "belly down" position.

Note: I replaced "back-to-earth" with belly up and "face-to-earth" with belly down.......:)
Edited: to really push my luck and paraphrase(spel) the CSPA PIM 2A ROLL suggestion....B| (YES thats my stupid set myself up, I dont give a rats ass smile B|)

Please refer to you Instructor or PIM/SIM for Instruction on ROLLS (barrel rolls)......sry....I hate to admit it ...but...I do give a rats ass;)

If you have access to a pool . . .

You might try floating face down in the pool and give it a shot.

I think you'll find that if you press down with the arm, roll your body and keep your body fairly straight -- it'll work.

If you have a soft floor, you can practice laying down and staying dry. That's how I learned my barrel rolls - I practiced rolling over on a mattress, then back. The action of tucking in the arm, leaning into the roll, and tucking in the other arm and sticking the first back out was very confusing to me standing up, but laying down on my belly on the mattress it was natural. The timing was about the same as a quick roll on the floor, too. Much more comfortable in the air, tho. :P

-=-=-=-=-
Pull.

Also try the "French roll" described in this thread: legs together, extend arms with hands as if holding a ball or steering wheel in front of you. Quickly rotate the ball/wheel 90 degrees... voila, a nice, neat, smooth, on-axis roll.

BTW, a "barrel roll" (for airplanes, anyway) is when the plane goes in a big circle around its axis, corkscrew-like; rolling on axis is just a "roll".

Sounds like the original poster was trying to do an aerodynamic roll, but forgot - or was never told - about straightening his legs.
My dilemma was always dyslexia. I was never any good at doing aerodynamic rolls that finished on heading, so it was simpler for me to import "French rolls" to North America.
Hee! Hee!
French rolls start the same as aerodynamic rolls, i.e. straighten legs, but become "momentum rolls" when you throw your arms towards that imaginary steering wheel. Then just stay long and skinny until the world turns green again.

ok so i have 15 jumps so i am not goign to give you advise i am going to tell you what i did.

i just though of rolling out of bed. Like literaly rolling out of bed. And then i tried rolling into a pool. and then in the pool. and it eventually worked great in the air. Just waht i did so take it with a major grain of salt due to my lack of experience.

blue skys
--------------------------------------------------
Fear is not a confession of weakness, it is an oportunity for courage.

I've gotta try this "french roll" sound interesting.

I think that everyone talking bout tucking one hand in & then the other is just flipping. A barrell roll, I thougth was more of the kind planes do but on a smaller scale; which is typically done while tracking.

I do not understand how doing a barrell roll w/ ones hand reaching toward the opposite thigh while in a delta track position would cause one to lose so much horizontal movement. Infact, IF you bent at the waist to do this manuver, you'd be stoping your horizontal movement & trasfering the speed vertically (or toward the ground).

I was taught to do a tracking barrel roll to keep the same tracking position, (perhaps hands in @ a lesser angle away from the body) twist the shoulders (one up & one down) w/ the down one to the side you want to go down.... as far as you can & keep the position, momentum carries me around.

There is no can't. Only lack of knowledge or fear. Only you can fix your fear.

PMS #227 (just like the TV show)