darkwing

Lonely Feelings in Skydiving

I was watching some video and said to myself, damn, now that's a lonely feeling. Then I got to thinking about other situations that give you a similar feeling. Here are some in no particular order...

1. Being the only guy out in a 10-way speed formation, and being low.
2. Having the people behind you in the exit close the door after you climb out. They usually smile and wave at you as you look down to see if the pilot was in on the joke and you are 5 miles from the DZ.
3. Doing a pirate demo into the wrong backyard, in the wrong neighborhood.
4. Just after exit on a jump you realize you have forgotten where to dock.
5. Three people facing you in the formation are all gesturing wildly at you.
6. You land in a small clearing, way off the DZ and you have no idea what direction to go.
7. You see the dogs in the backyard you are about to land in, and they see you.

-- Jeff
My Skydiving History

3. Doing a pirate demo into the wrong backyard, in the wrong neighborhood.

That's one helluva funny image! Kinda reminds of a friend of mine on a night jump once. The spot was long and she was all alone when she landed, covered in glow sticks, smack bang into some old lady's yard.

At least she ended up getting a hot cup of coffee while she waited for the guys from the DZ to pick her up.

Advertisio Rodriguez / Sky

Leaving the balloon at Rantoul AFTER they tell you the shag van won't pick you up and you have no cell phone with you. ($70.00 cab ride back:()
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717

Loneliest I ever felt was the jump after I grad AFF. Grad AFF in the morning then went on my first solo student jump. Being the last jumper out of the otter was a pretty damn lonely and scary feeling. It was a hellof a lot of fun though, just being able to jump out and relax and take in the view.

12. Laid up in hospital with a mashed femur, listening to the skyvan climbing (Dundee, Errol)

13. Being under a round reserve at 11,000ft after an FXC misfire.

14. The silence after the Life Flite chopper has just left with your buddy on board.

15. Struggling to pack the student rig, waiting for someone to conduct stage checks when the beer light is on.

16 The long drive home on a sunday night.
--------------------

He who receives an idea from me, receives instruction himself without lessening mine; as he who lights his taper at mine, receives light without darkening me. Thomas Jefferson

yep, i feel you. "waving to the eight other licensed jumpers as they finally get out to load the plane after five hours of weather hold, patting us (the students) on the head and telling us they'll go up and check the winds for us"
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

Getting caught in high desert winds on your Level 2 (second time jumping out of an airplane), wearing a 288 sq. foot Manta, weighing 150 lbs. (with gear), getting backed up while trying to cut through 26 mph of wind, downwind from the DZ and trying to get back. Getting further and further from the DZ you wonder if they will find you and you are not completely aware of all of the reasons why this is happening and wondering why there is nothing you can do to make the situation better except to try and choose a nice landing spot away from obstacles.
Roy Bacon: "Elvises, light your fires."

Sting: "Be yourself no matter what they say."

deciding to return to jumping after 5 years. having to Cut away on your recurrency jump as your family keeps an eye out for "YOUR BLUE CANOPY" and it floats by them... empty

My loneliest moments, all on my 131st jump
11pm, 1500 feet ... I'm not going to make it back to the DZ
11:15pm, in a large cornfield .... trying to clear a PD 190's lines out of the corn.
11:30, still in the corn .... trying to find a way out.
12 midnight, behind a farmhouse .... dogs barking.
1am, walking down a country road at night covered in glowsticks .... cars slowing down but not stopping.