kevinwhelan

What would happen

I have been reading a lot of discussions about swoops and hook turns and was just wondering what would happen if, (and dont laugh)

suppose you have made a hard hook turn to set up for a swoop and you find you are too low and will hit hard with bad results.

What would happen if you dropped your toggels and popped the reserve with no cutaway? Would your forward speed open the reserve and help or would it make a bad situation worse?

btw I have not or ever intend to try a swoop let alone this Idea, just wondering

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

by the time you decide you've messed up and move to open you Reserve you have already hit.. or if you have a LONG arching chute your reserve MIGHT me at line stretch... besides its against human nature your gonna try like hell to pull yourself out of the corner

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

>suppose you have made a hard hook turn to set up for a swoop and you
>find you are too low and will hit hard with bad results.

>What would happen if you dropped your toggels and popped the reserve
>with no cutaway?

You'd hit the ground. Your reserve will not open in time. We're talking seconds here.

What you should do is to both get the wing level and start generating as much lift as possible, preferably at the same time. That means start a flare while getting the wing back over your head, and then flare as hard as you can. Depending on the canopy this may NOT mean to bottom out the toggles; that can stall some canopies. You want to bring the brakes to the position that will give you the most lift, which is usually near the bottom of the stroke. Experiment up high to find out what position gives you the most lift.

Also, how you initiate the hook makes all the difference. If you did a toggle hook, you won't get much response from a flare, since your airspeed will be low. If you did a front riser hook, you will have extra airspeed to work with, and the flare will be much more effective.

I don't do anything high performance yet..not enough jumps..but I have watched people hook it too low and come in HARD and UGLY.

For one..they usually don't even start their swoop with enought altitude remaining to have their reserve open in time even if they did have time to get to it.

By the time you relize you are low you are under 200 feet and losing altitude fast. You are in all likelyhood less then 4 seconds from impacting. Droping the toggles puts you completle out of control of the canopy. The reserve might have enough airspeed to inflate the pilot chute and extract the freebag but its a gamble if it has enough airspeed to start to inflate the canopy.

Basically don't do it. The time it takes to do it is better used to avoid the situation.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

What would happen if you dropped your toggels and popped the reserve with no cutaway?

There are far better solutions to saving your ass when deep in the corner. Popping your reserve will undoubtedly make things worse.

To answer your question, yes. Depending on available altitude, the forward speed would likely open your reserve, and you'd have just induced a "two-out" malfunction at a very low altitude, with very little room to deal with it. People do die from down-planes.

Canopy coaching is an excellent thing, and I urge you to get some throughout your jumping career, especially if you're starting to think about high performance landings.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

*** If I read your post right you are thinking that the reserve will help stop your forward motion by adding drag and slowing your arcing speed that the swoop produced.

Well wondering would it
not having any experience of high preformance landings i dont understand the speeds or times involved (I fly a PD190 loaded at about 0.8) I just wondered would the forward speed extract and inflate the reserve in time to slow the swoop

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

*idly wondering*

Even if you realised high enough to act like suggested, surely if the PC inflated then it would add drag to your body? Wouldn't this in fact work against you and actually inhibit the recovery arc of the canopy and make "digging-out" even slower?