PIZZ

AAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!

I have to say you guys all have either the biggest set of balls known to man or you're all clinically insane! I chickened out of a tandem skydive a few weeks back. I've been really curious to try it but I just cant pull myself together to go for it. Just thinking that the only thing stopping me from smacking the ground at 1000 miles an hour is a properly functioning backpack somehow makes me a little bit nervous. Cheers to you crazy F@CKERS!

you guys all have either the biggest set of balls known to man or you're all clinically insane

yes.;)
Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. --Douglas Adams

bwahahahahah... I'm not crazy .... the doctor says I can have silverware again.

The great thing about a tandem is for you to burn in you instructor has to go with you, and as a professional it would hurt his reputation, make it difficult to continue working that day ... oh and make him dead, which he has made a profession of avoiding.

Staticline or AFF on the other hand ...

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

Just thinking that the only thing stopping me from smacking the ground at 1000 miles an hour is a properly functioning backpack somehow makes me a little bit nervous.

Does it make you too nervous to drive a car, knowing that the only thing keeping you from smacking into something solid at 60 mph is a metal contraption made of hundreds of moving parts?

Something to really think about is skydiving rigs have two canopies in them, so if the first one does not deploy into a good canopy it can be cut away and the reserve can be flown down. Skydiving is a dangerous sport but so many things in our lives are dangerous, and how many other places in life do you have two chances to get it right. Oh and even though it is a possiblity to have the main canopy malfunction it does not happen very often (numbers will very per person) but out of my 1014 skydives and 220 tandems I have never used my reserve canopy.
The door way is difficult at first and the fear can make it almost impossible to breath but right outside that door is true bliss.
Kirk

Did you "chicken" out before you arrived at the DZ, at the DZ, or while in the door of the plane? If it's the first or second, you need to try the third before making any longterm definitive assessments about skydiving....;) Suck it up and jump!;)B| you might love it.....

>Does it make you too nervous to drive a car, knowing that the only
>thing keeping you from smacking into something solid at 60 mph is a
> metal contraption made of hundreds of moving parts?

I used to be nervous about that, but then one day I was driving my old Datsun to work and the distributor cap fell off. And despite thinking I would die instantly, all that happened was that the car stopped.

It would sure be nice if skydiving were the same way. Imagine if you start fumbling for the pud or reserve handle at 1000 feet, everything just sorta slowed down and stopped, and they had to get out the long hook to get you out of the sky.

>Does it make you too nervous to drive a car, knowing that the only
>thing keeping you from smacking into something solid at 60 mph is a
> metal contraption made of hundreds of moving parts?

I used to be nervous about that, but then one day I was driving my old Datsun to work and the distributor cap fell off. And despite thinking I would die instantly, all that happened was that the car stopped.

It would sure be nice if skydiving were the same way. Imagine if you start fumbling for the pud or reserve handle at 1000 feet, everything just sorta slowed down and stopped, and they had to get out the long hook to get you out of the sky.

I'm reminded of a loony toon in which Bugs Bunny was in a plane diving straight towards the ground at such an incredible speed that the wings melted off from the heat. Suddenly the plane runs out of fuel and comes to a complete stop just inches from the ground
__

My mighty steed

Imagine if you start fumbling for the pud or reserve handle at 1000 feet, everything just sorta slowed down and stopped, and they had to get out the long hook to get you out of the sky.

Skydiving has a perfect record - in over 60 years of skydiving activities we've never left anyone up there....yet.

I'm reminded of a loony toon in which Bugs Bunny was in a plane diving straight towards the ground at such an incredible speed that the wings melted off from the heat. Suddenly the plane runs out of fuel and comes to a complete stop just inches from the ground

I think that plane had hare brakes.

Maybe it's me and I've never done this either but It would seem to me that base jumping is safer and more controlled since you're holding the shoot in your hand. Or am I just crazy??

BASE jumping is much more hazardous than skydiving. (And it's just a pilot chute in hand, and then only on certain jumps).