sd-slider

Where's the Rush?

Just thought I'd start out by saying it bluntly..."Where is the Rush?

I fell in love with skydiving on my first ever tandem jump. It took a few months, but I came up with the money for AFF and took the leap. Had a blast through all eight jumps. Each lesson presented a new level of anxiety/nervousness, not full blown fear, but lack of confidence in my abilities.

I managed to get through all of the levels (even with rain, wind, and clouds) and I have three awesome jumps since graduation.

I always hear about the "rush", "addiction", "gotta jump" scenarios but can't relate to any of them at this point. I love the freefall, scenery, canopy ride, and landings. I feel exhillerated and mentally free upon landing, but have yet to get the adrenaline rush. Side note: I am well aware of what adrenaline feels like i.e- 30 seconds or so leading up to a bar brawl, etc. I've felt it. Just not skydiving.

Is there a mental, physical, or chemical block preventing me from enjoying it to the fullest?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Slider

BTW - I just dropped $3800 into a rig. I am commited!
Anvil Brother #69

Sidelined with a 5mm C5-C6 herniated disk...
Back2Back slammers and 40yr old fat guys don't mix!

I used to get the "rush", but I really dont anymore... I got a slight taste of it on that malfunction, but nothing like what I used to get when I first started.. But funny thing is I dont miss it, :ph34r:

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I can relate.

I do many activities that the public at large would label "extreme" or whatever (skiing in AK/UT, mountaineering, etc). But...im not sure that I have ever had an adrenaline rush....

I get butterflies...all the time... on the way up to alt, when the door opens...

in freefall I am just focused. I guess that is the right word.

after I land I am elated, but still..no "rush"...who knows, maybe i am getting a rush...but i dont think what I am feeling feels like something that would be described by "rush".

maybe i am incapable of such a thing. for me, skydiving is about the feeling under canopy, and after I land. ..the ride to alt is filled with butterflies (every jump)...enough for me to ask myself what the hell am I doing/I want to stop right now...which comes to a point when the door opens...but after i jump....the skydive is a performance to me (must do well, got to get that point, etc)...not really enough time to think/enjoy... after I open i feel peaceful and happy, and after I land I am very excited and want to do it again right now!

strange.:S

:)

the skydive is a performance to me (must do well, got to get that point, etc)...not really enough time to think/enjoy.

It sounds like you have lost sight of the fact that it is supposed to be recreation, not a contest trying to prove how big your di*k is.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

I can understand what you are saying.

On saturday I jumped my own rig, and my own pack job for the first time.

The opening was great, and then I got to fly my Sabre down to the ground.

Jumping my own gear and packjob, as well as flying a high performance ZP canopy compared to a F111 student canopy gave me and the other 2 guys jumping their own gear for the first time the biggest rush I have ever had.

Dayum I guess you are just going to have to get your A Ticket and then Come to a boogie.. Lets see how fast a 2 way we can do;)

I can show you a rush.. at 200 MPH plus... Hey I know the rig can handle it:P Its been over 300 MPH

It is what it is and it aint what it aint! ;)

Problem for you (also at one time for me) is you have some sort of notion of what it's supposed to feel like based on SOMEONE ELSE'S experience (rush - adrenaline etc).

While looking for something that's not there you are missing what is REALLY happening - YOUR EXPERIENCE.

I suggest you give-up looking for someone else's experience in your own jumping and start experiencing what's happening to you yourself.

Give up trying to find what's missing and start looking at what's really there. Jumping isn't a panacea or a fix-it for your problems, it's just a jump.

Relax - enjoy - have fun.

g.
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"

I dont get anywhere near the same buzz/rush after jumping that I did in the first few. I probably enjoy the jump itself more as I'm more aware of the sensations etc but nothing like the I still alive hit I used to get - got to say I miss it.

I haven't gotten any adrenaline rush since maybe my 3rd jump. Now I do it because I want to do it, because sometimes it can be scary but more often it can be extremely amazing amounts of fun that I still cannot be I have the ability to have.

To me, it is all about the fun. I don't and never have done it ofr adrenaline. I knew that would wear off eventually.
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

It's not about rush for me. It's about the social life at the DZ and getting better at something that's both extremely light hearted and extremely serious at the same time.

It's hard to learn too which adds an extra challenge.

I've had 'rushes' while skydiving. First Birdman jump I was just thrilled when I got down. When two students who'd "tracked to get home" suddenly passed me in freefall while I was under canopy, maybe 10 yards from me - I got a somewhat apprehensive then and the adrenaline came without me asking for it.

It just isn't why I do it.

Anyone who doesn't get an adrenaline rush when getting a big scare ain't getting a big scare. It's a natural response to a potentially dangerous situation. I'd say there are some of those in skydiving but I don't know many skydivers who actively seeks them out.

I used to get the "rush", but I really dont anymore...

That, to me is a shame. Hopefully Nate, you will find (as I have) that you will get "renewed" rushes that (again hopefully) should come along with new accomplishments and "events" as you progress. To me, otherwise ...why bother?

- Docking 8th for your first time on that 8-way (okay, I'm "OLD" ;))

- Your 1st +10point 4-way

- Your 1st +10point 8-way (still a great memory!)

- Your 1st ...well, I could go on & on ...Your new ACCOMPLISHMENTS as you progress in ANYTHING!

Extrapolate it any way you want. CReW, RW, FF ...it really doesn't (or IMHO SHOULDN'T) matter. I STILL find things to get "rushes" from on almost EVERY jump! ...Even if it is "merely" a 2-way coaching dive watching somebody just off of student status "nail" something for THEIR 1st times for themselves. My point is, don't "allow" yourself to ever LOSE that "RUSH". Just me, and my opinion, but if you do (and if I do) ...why bother? ...I'm done.

Looking for that next RUSH hopefully sometime SOON! ;)

Blue Skies,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

I get rushes every now and then still. Got a rush when I nailed down smooth barrel rolling in a track over the weekend(was screaming my head off after doing each one) and got a nice mental high when I spread my legs out on a sit fly and felt my legs take control of my movement instead of my arms.

I always hear about the "rush", "addiction", "gotta jump" scenarios but can't relate to any of them at this point.

Huh?...but:

I feel exhillerated and mentally free upon landing,

and

I just dropped $3800 into a rig. I am commited

Sounds like you got the bug.

We are not Adrenaline Junkies so much as Dopemine Addicts. B|

Once you realise you aren't playing Russian Roulet with your life, you don't get a surge of Adrenaline. Experienced jumpers will tell you they get the adrenaline feeling when they try something new on a jump... or take on a new 'risky' aspect. I get it when I jump with someone I've never jumped with before and we're doing something sorta technical to me (meaning something I'm still working on)

Is there a mental, physical, or chemical block preventing me from enjoying it to the fullest?

No.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

-Wear a blindfold on exit?...
-Don't pull until 800ft?...
-Tie your hands and feet together and have someone throw you out on a low pass?

disclaimer: DON'T acutally do these things. hehee.

My Karma ran over my Dogma!!!

I dont mean to say that I dont get excited, I have a perma-grin everytime I do something new, :ph34r: You should have seen me after my first attempted 7 way (5 of us got linked up) or after doing something as simple as a two person canonball exit, or after my cut away, .. I love this sport, and I definately get my kicks out of it... As for the "rush" that he was refering to, it just went away after about 15-20 jumps ... Still cant think of ANYTHING I'd rather be doing. :D

FGF #???
I miss the sky...
There are 10 types of people in the world... those who understand binary and those who don't.

I definitely agree that the renewed adrenaline rush comes with new skydiving adventures. The best thing for me was focusing on one thing and getting really good at it. There are so many things to try in skydiving I feel like I don't have the time. I have dabbled in birdman, CRW, and freeflying, but my current passion is 4 way. I remember when I had less than 100 jumps, I was really getting frustrated with jumping - I sucked (not saying that I'm great now, but I do okay). I contemplated quitting because I just couldn't get it. The thing that helped me out a lot was the wind tunnel. Being able to see improvement in a short amount of time was what helped me to pull through, figure things out and get my adrenaline rush back. :)

I kinda stepped back on this one to see what
people had to say.

I have a few dozen ways of answering Slider's post, but I don't want to get TOO long winded.
(that's a first!):$

To start...
I've seen Eric in a few 'bar fights' even had his back in one as I recall.
You ain't NEVER gonna get THAT rush from Skydiving bro!
:P

But all kidding aside, Eric's situation I think is a result of both who he is, and of the times.

Eric is one of those SMART guys that has a totally analytical mind, he's two moves ahead of ya,
before you even know you're in the game!
He takes everything down to the lowest common denominator and deals with each element logically and with careful forethought.

He's always been that way...
and it was kinda funny when he got into jumping...they way he talked and did things.
I was the exact opposite as a student.

He had some valid questions about the AFF process among other issues...sought advise ...spent money on tunnel time...did things to insure success.

I think in part, his personality is a reason for his
not 'feeling' the expected rush...he's contemplated most of the "what if's" and hence there
are few surprises for him...for now anyway.

He has the talent...the 'tools' to be a top notch jumper.
No doubt he will soon be into filming & instruction, and I believe the sport will be better with him involved those ways.

Another observation I had being in touch with him during most of his AFF training, was how much the sport had changed since I had been on that end of it.

I understand how and why things are done the way they are these days, but I honestly think in a lot of ways the old days of 'Mentoring' a student was better.

The 'student factory' horse has been beaten to death, but it was clear to me in this case Slider
was getting little of the motivation...the excitement...the 'spree de corps' ...from those
showing him our sport, that I had.

Eric my brother...
you ARE hooked, and trust me it WILL get better
as you do.
Bigger dives...different places...wonderful people,
all await.

I wonder how many 'students' the sport has lost because for what ever reason the
'smell was better than the taste'?
[:/]

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

I wonder how many 'students' the sport has lost because for what ever reason the
'smell was better than the taste'?

I've had this conversation before with a friend. People get into the sport for lots of reasons - to say they did it, to prove to themselves or others, because its fun etc.

Those that do it because its fun tend to stick around after their A license as opposed to people who did it to prove something.

And sometimes... its a little of both ;)

Jen
Arianna Frances