Stewart_555

Small Drop Zone Rumor Mill

People don't like hearing bad things about their home DZ, even if they are true. A lot of jumpers will defend their home DZ without question, even if they know they are wrong.

What? Naaaahhh.

I am a new skydiver and jump at this dropzone.... This is one of the most friendly places I have ever been and would encourage anyone to come and join all of us for alot of fun in a very safe skydiving environment.

:o :)

If you’re still not happy, move on! Still not happy, step up invest all your money and time, and open your own DZ! It’s really fun, and as DZO life is always rosy, never money or people problems, and I’m sure you’ll always be able to make everyone happy all the time without exception!

I've been watching this thread for a while now and I find it fairly interesting.

Martin,

Good response, although I'm not a DZO (thank god I still have my sanity) I've been on staff at a DZ for a while now and can really understand what you're saying and have been through the ups and downs with different staff members that have come and gone as well as with the DZO. However, I'm still at my DZ helping my DZO understanding that it won't always be perfect but I'm work with him to help him resolve issues as I can. My DZ isn't a perfect DZ, no DZ is, but its my home DZ for a reason (even though there are 4 other DZs pretty close to me).

Running a DZ is definately not an easy process.

For one, every DZ has its politics and problems, that's not always the DZO's fault, its a people thing. No matter where you go you have that problem. Hell, even a preacher will run into those problems with his staff at a church.

Being a DZO isn't an easy job, obvious items aside (money, gear, planes, etc) dealing with the people alone is a hard job. Think about the kinds of personalities in this sport and how those sorts of personalities react when they don't get their way.

Over the past 2 1/2 years I've been on staff at a DZ I can tell you it hasn't always been perfect, there seems to always be a people problem somewhere. Someone will get their panties in a wad and want something done their way when it may not be the best course of action. Eitherway, if you like the DZ and are willing to DZO you chat with him/her in private and try to work out the problems. If the problems aren't resolved to your liking then you are always welcome to move on. However, the grass isn't always greener. Hell, looking around the grass is almost never greener. Each DZ has their problems and each DZO has his/her own way of dealing with them. Never will it be to the liking of everyone on staff or even the fun jumpers.

Whats the solution?

Grow up.

Its not a perfect world, there's no such thing as a perfect DZ and even if you open one yourself you will never keep everyone happy all the time. Learn to deal with the personal conflicts in a private manner and work to help the DZO fix problems you see arising.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Oh Christ, anything but the old job... being temporary DZO/Manifest Bitch for a few weeks cured me... please don't ever leave me in charge again... it's going to take months to get all my friends back... ;)

Gary "Superfletch" Fletcher
D-26145; USPA Coach, IAD/I, AFF/I
Videographer/Photographer

Hey Bryan...
I don't have friends...I'm a cop, remember? Make ME the manifest bitch! I'm computer literate, I'm personable, and I have a Glock to shove up their nose! LOL

BTW, in regards to Martha's comment:
Supercop, you were called an accident waiting to ahppen and you had your AAD go off because your head was up your rear and no one was surprised.***

First, my AAD did not save my ass...I pulled my reserve handle. My reserve was out when I went thru the student cypress firing altitude. Only thing the cutter "cut" was the reserve closing loop...but it was already out. Yeah, I was low, but I knew what to do.

And, let's see...oh yeah, I know who you are...all 30(?) jumps you and your wife have...why don't you have the courage to say your real name? I mean, all the pieces of the puzzle are there...just like the email that was sent directly to me...

Anyway, sorry to rant and rave, but this just keeps pushing the button. Past performance is an indicator of future behavior..I'm sure we'll see controversy follow "Martha" at their new DZ...

Yep Fletcher got it right, my Offical Title in Life is Rev Joseph D Thomas. Been that way for years.. oh Remember me, the guy who preformed the wedding of a few skydivers thru the years!

As far as kicked off the dz, man I would have to think about that and Nope no thoughts of that come to mind.. I did leave on free will once, left for several years in fact.. jumped at many other great DZ's in the process. I eventually came back when I moved back to the area!
Bryan welcomed me back to the DZ and offered me a job....

Such pettyness, it's sad. Hide behind a fake name, make up jump numbers you don't have.. is that to try and give your self some kind of status?
You have an A# and I am sure not close to 450 jumps. Don't do this.
Can't we all just get along, sorrys don't fix everything but they are a start.
I hope that you will find a DZ to call home and that makes you happy, I really do mean that as I always wish people the best.
Good luck in Arkansas or where ever you choose to jump.
R. J Thomas
www.greenboxphotography.com

Please do not make such comments about our DZ, DZO or anyone else for that matter.
The staff at freefall express love thier DZ, we love our DZO's like family and are very happy.. so just go away!
Joe Thomas

I think it was a trick by Bryan and Lyn...."Hey Lyn I got an idea to bring everyone closer around the dz AND get away with airing our dirty laundry at the same time" "Here's what we'll do" "Geee Bryan that sounds like a good idea...I'm so proud of you...You're so smart"

Huh?!? What cloud?!? Oh that!!! That's just Industrial Haze
Alex M.

First, my AAD did not save my ass...I pulled my reserve handle. My reserve was out when I went thru the student cypress firing altitude. Only thing the cutter "cut" was the reserve closing loop...but it was already out. Yeah, I was low, but I knew what to do.

Eh? What kind of rig was it? If the Cypres cut the loop, you probably didn't beat it.;)
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

Eh? What kind of rig was it? If the Cypres cut the loop, you probably didn't beat it.

Not true...
I've seen several AADs fire after reserve pilot chute launch and before enough deceleration has occurred.

Skycop had pulled his reserve but not in time to prevent the (student) Cypres from firing.

Steve Babin
"Science, logic and reason will fly you to the moon. Religion will fly you into buildings."
"Because figuring things out is always better than making shit up."