bch7773

Don't grip the door on exit if you enjoy using your hand

figured i would post this in hope that someone might learn from my mistake. not gonna name names since i think a couple post here.

on the sunset load we were gonna do a 4 way from our C182... participents included a couple fairly low time jumpers 30 jumps and 60 jumps. Me and my friend who has 200+ jumps decided to take the slightly harder slots since we had more jumps, so he took strut and I took door. on climbout, one of the jumpers gripped the wrong arm on me... so i reached over and shook his hand off and put it on my correct arm... and looked up just in time to see the group let go. One of the low time jumpers giving the count couldn't see me, and so she assumed that I was ready and did a quick count.

This all wouldn't have been a problem if it wasn't for the fact i had gripped onto the door frame pretty tightly with one hand so that i could scoot out the door. My fingers all got caught on the frame on the way out as the group pulled me out of the plane. The dive was pretty screwed at that point, but 3 of us did manage to get back together and wait for the 4th. But basically now i sit here typing this with a pretty badly broken finger (on my right hand too so this has taken like 20 minutes to type haha) and a badly swollen and bruised hand.

Anyways, lesson learned is don't jam your fingers into the door frame on exit, even when you are just climbing out, since the group can exit at any time, even if you aren't ready. I guess i got lucky with just a finger, it could have been more fingers or hand bones.

and finally, am I the only guy who has managed to somehow break stuff on exit??

MB 3528, RB 1182

Yep, and a broken finger isn't the worst that can happen. People have lost fingers on exits if they get them in the wrong place. Also, wearing rings can be a problem; it's easy for the ring to get hooked on something and stay with the aircraft on exit.

Adrock and Myself were on that Dive With BCH7773 when he broke his finger -
Just like he said, he was trying to correct the fourth guys hand position when we launched, although I couldn't see that part as I was hanging on the other side of the person who was poised on the step.
I guess there are a few lessons that could be learned from this, and looks like BCH covered them all - let's all hope this doesn't happen again to any of us...
=========Shaun ==========

You gonna try static line after spring break?

I'll see. I don't wanna do anything too fast and rebreak the finger when i got that coach course coming up in less than a month. but then again i guess its not too dangerous and shaun does need to toss some s/ls. i get another x ray after spring break so i will see.

haha, took me a while to figure out who you were though.

MB 3528, RB 1182

hey, like i said its nobodies fault... it was just a few little mistakes that only were a problem because i (stupidly) gripped the door frame too hard.

wait, actually it was all shaun's fault. as the guy with the most jumps on the plane, he's responible for everything... including my fingers :P:P

MB 3528, RB 1182

So did you have your fingers wedged into some sort of slot? Because if you are just grabbing something externally (i.e. a bar or the corner of a door), then if you get ripped away from it I don't see how a finger could get broken.
www.WingsuitPhotos.com

About ten years ago a girl at our DZ was exiting a Cessna in the strut position. Somehow her foot slipped off the step and got between the step and the wheel. When the group exited her shin snapped resulting in a compound fracture. Not exactly what you want to happen at 10.5. She ended up healing fine and continued to jump for a number of years.

Another friend was exiting the Otter on an extremely cold day. He was front float. He either missed the count of left late, but when the group left he was still gripping the bar. The tendon connecting his bicep to his wristbone tore in half. It took him months to heal.

Watch all your body parts when exiting any plane.

- Dan G

Another friend was exiting the Otter on an extremely cold day. He was front float. He either missed the count of left late, but when the group left he was still gripping the bar. The tendon connecting his bicep to his wristbone tore in half. It took him months to heal.

I've seen a videographer (rear floating) on a Caravan, get his alti stuck. I think he took an underhand grip on the bar. Fortunately, it did minimal damage to his hand and altimeter, but he totally missed the 4-way's exit (causing a rejump or zero, can't remember). He was lucky. Keeping your alti out of the way is just another thing to think about when you're setting up to exit-- grip the bars accordingly, and, of course, watch those fingers.

Brian,

Wow, not to worry, I promise we will not make fun of you at the Coach Course............. much.

Having just passed the IE exam a few weeks ago I have to laugh though. One question in the first aid section went like this.

"You are exiting last out of the Otter and you look down and see a finger laying on the floor. What do you do?

d. Pick the finger up and put it in your pocket. You've always wanted to "flip someone the finger".

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

A similar thing happened to the wife of a jumppilot and DZ owner in Ohio. He was flying, she jumped out, and another jumper asked the pilot "whose is this finger?"

The pilot recognized the ring he had given his wifestill on the finger, and dove the plane getting to the ground as she landed.

They packed the ring in ice, and rushed to the hospital. It wouldnt reattach.

Neil Armstrong (Apollo 11) jumped from a farm wagon, and caught his ring on a barn door when he tried to steady himself for the jump 3 ft to the ground. He tore his finger off as well.

Stay safe friends....play safe.

Bill Cole D-41

it's easy for the ring to get hooked on something and stay with the aircraft on exit.

a wedding ring saved my father from following a SL jumper out of a C130 shortly after i was born....he still has the scar and stopped flying soon thereafter...

Just out of curiosity....did you dirt dive this at all?

Yes, Many times. I Even went to the aircraft and we rehearsed the exit about three or four times for the one low timer on the load. Like BCH said, the guy with 40 some jumps took a wrong grip, and the count was given before he was ready.....

Just out of curiosity....did you dirt dive this at all?

Yes, Many times. I Even went to the aircraft and we rehearsed the exit about three or four times for the one low timer on the load. Like BCH said, the guy with 40 some jumps took a wrong grip, and the count was given before he was ready.....

Well, since this is a learning opportunity..........
You mention that the jumper giving the count could not see you and gave a quick count. Did you dirt dive the exit to include the "counter" to wait for a signal from each that they were ready? You know, someone, if not the "counter" herself, to see that all are ready and give the "hut!"

--
A male pilot is a confused soul who talks about women when he's flying, and about flying when he's with a woman.

Well, since this is a learning opportunity..........
You mention that the jumper giving the count could not see you and gave a quick count. Did you dirt dive the exit to include the "counter" to wait for a signal from each that they were ready? You know, someone, if not the "counter" herself, to see that all are ready and give the "hut!"

I'm not trying to be defensive or answer for BCH, but this is my .02......

We rehersed the dive and the exit well, I remember talking to the person cueing the dive about looking around and starting the count after everyone had acknowledged that they were ready... All that happened is that there was a miscommunication while BCH was fixing the grip of the guy in the "V"..... either BCH or Ardrock could give more Info, I was hanging on the strut and couldn't see everything on the other side....

No one has mentioned this, so I will. Being front-front on an Otter. A lot of people put their fingers on the "flap hinge", a triangular piece of metal under the wing. If you do this, do not wrap your fingers around the hinge. Just put your fingertips on the leading edge for stability and to hold you close to the plane.

Good Otter pilots are ok with this if you don't put a lot of pressure on it.

hahaha ok Brian, why don't you tell them the truth!!! You were killing kittens and tripped when you tried to walk away with your pants down, fell on your hand and broke your finger;)

hahah just giving ya crap man. Hope if heals, let me know if you need anything done to help it heal etc
<--- See look, pink dolphins DO exist!

One of our local jumpers had a problem like that last year. He had a good grip on the plane and the formation left sooner than he thought it would. Tore his biceps, so he spent most of last year on IR. He won't launch the formations anymore.

Vint
. . . . .
"Make it hard again." Doc Ed

“A person needs a little madness, or else they never dare cut the rope and be free” Nikos Kazantzakis

har har har.

but you wanna know something weird? Got the two week checkup x-rays and they actually discovered multiple breaks in the finger and knuckle. the sports medicine doctor thinks the finger twisted all the way around, like 360 degrees, started shattering, then the tendons pulled it back to normal. i got some type of spiral break. :S

MB 3528, RB 1182