superman0710

[N] is it possible to pack your chute backwards?

i was thinking about this last night. :$

Hi Superman

Hooking up the canopy backwards shouldn't happen with a line check:|

But if you find yourself in this situation:o

Stay cool:) Remember that pulling on the left brake line (your left) will turn the canopy in the opposite direction.[:/]

Just head for a open field, set up for a long final into the wind (you may be going backwards) and flare like usual:)
Tight landing area:S Maybe Reserve[:/]

Just my opinion:$

R.I.P.

4-line check: outermost A/B & C/D lines run clear to the outermost lines on the riser of the same side

Brake line check: L & R steering lines running clear and outside ALL A/B/C/D lines from toggle, thru riser keeper, and thru slider to respective L & R side of tail without crossing each other.

Min line check req's: A brake line check should be done at every pack.

If rapide links have been reconnected prior to jump: A complete continuity check of all lines is needed.

If one or both risers have been reconnected via 3-rings prior to jump: A 4-line check on BOTH sides is needed.

Continuity has been checked before and canopy just being repacked (not been disassembled): A 4-line check on one side only needed to check for step-thru.

As said before, a brake line check is needed as well on every pack-job.

Also note that a canopy that has been connected backward can still show continuity from riser to canopy on a 4-line check if attention isn't paid to WHICH SIDE of the canopy the riser is connected to.

On a canopy that's known to be assembled correctly it's not possible to step-thru the lines and it not show up on a 4-line check on both sides - this is why only one side need be checked when the canopy is being repacked from a jump.

And to answer the question if I'm to read it right - it's not possible to PACK a canopy so it flys backwards, it's only possible to CONNECT a canopy backwards.

Hope this is of use :)
g.
"Altitude is birthright to any individual who seeks it"

>>Regardless, a 4 line check should always be done when attaching a conopy to the risers.<<

Not just a 4 line check, a complete line continuity check should be done. (Just clarifying if that's what you meant) . . .

NickD :)BASE 194

That is what I meant, thank you Nick. :)
Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

funny, i just saw a picture of this in last months parachutist. it had a picture of someone landing a canopy like this (see attached)... it made me think too!
not that i need to know at this point, but since the topic is up... is it only done at large dz's with large open fields? i'm guessing you would probably be the last to exit & allow a lot of time to avoid collisions, but still ...how do you know when to flare?
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

that is a freestyle canopy landing, the latest sub discipline for professional swoopers...that canopy is hooked up normally and the pilot does a full 180 during the surf...

its a REALLY sick, very high difficulty maneuver

oh:|
welllllll, it looked backwords and there was not an article with it... only the byline you see scanned in... oops. :S i can't stand being wrong!:P
i didn't lose my mind, i sold it on ebay. .:need a container to fit 5'4", 110 lb. cypres ready & able to fit a 170 main (or slightly smaller):.[/ce

Take a packing class, even as a student you can benifit from understanding how your chute is packed, and ways not to create malfunctions. I took a class between my level 4 and level 5 jumps, and on my level 5 I jumped myown packjob! It was worth it, and I don't have to worry about doing it for my lisence.

Muff Brother 3723

Hey,
At my DZ one guy has a cutaway harness and we'll hook up the chute backwards and do CReW. It's pretty cool. And it feels super weird to do a hard turn facing the wrong way. There is a clip of it on skydivingmovies.com Just look under the Landing and Swooping. Then on the 2nd page it's the "Section 8 Eugene Skydivers". It's pretty sweet.

Another reason to hook up a canopy backwards is to do crew video from the front of the stack, I think this used to be fairly common but don't know if its still the norm. I know of a couple of folks who have landed small canopies that were accidently hooked up backwards but if you're gonna be stupid you better be tough. I swap bagged canopies around a lot but not only am I REALLY careful but my risers are either identified by an rsl ring on the right (on my Infinity risers) or are marked in felt pen if lacking an rsl ring. If the canopy is unpacked before hookup there is really no excuse for a bad hookup. And as has been mentioned, if the rigging is correct there is no way to pack a canopy in reverse. That being said I'm sure that someone will find a way anyhow.
Sometimes you eat the bear..............

oh:|
welllllll, it looked backwords and there was not an article with it... only the byline you see scanned in... oops. :S i can't stand being wrong!:P

It just looks that way...it's a little hard to tell from the pic is all. What he's doing is putting himself in a 1/2 line-twist to face backwards during his swoop. A very nicely sick maneuver if pulled off right. I watched someone pull that off at the pond at Rantoul last year...insanely sweet move.B|
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

I have watched 2 people at my DZ be in a hurry when they hooked up their main, got on the plane, opened up and were flying backwards.

Both of them landed their mains hooked up the wrong direction...Neither stood up, but neither got hurt either.

This isn't any big deal. The best way to land this is to swing upside-down in your harness so you're facing the correct direction. Flare your rear risers with your legs and run it out by walking on your hands. I've done this lots of times.
"I encourage all awesome dangerous behavior." - Jeffro Fincher

This isn't any big deal. The best way to land this is to swing upside-down in your harness so you're facing the correct direction. Flare your rear risers with your legs and run it out by walking on your hands. I've done this lots of times.

Okay, I'm not gonna believe it until I SEE it! If you can do that without earning a trip to the ER, I'll buy you a case of beer! :D I dare you... ;)
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban