superman0710

[N] is it possible to pack your chute backwards?

It's easier to hook it up backwards if you are not watching and you don't check once you are done. If you put the bag in upside down or twisted it will just cause you line twists. If you are on a bigger canopy not nearly as big of a deal as on a smaller one. Good luck

Patrick

you mean so that the leading edge will face behind you on opening? ... pack ... I dont think so .. hookup yes, put the R riser on your L shoulder 3ring and vise versa. but I don't think you can land one one jump and then pack so that the next jump will have you flying backwards without releasing and re setting the 3 rings... BUT I AM NOT A RIGGER, and I don't have a lot of experience

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

If you mean so when you open it up you'll be flying backwards, then no. You can hook up your canopy backwards, but not pack it that way. If you place your canopy into the container so that it will open backwards, then you will have what's called an off heading opening. This means that you are facing one way and the canopy is facing the other way. You will quickly spin out of this half a line twist and will most likely not even notice it.

I got a strong urge to fly, but I got no where to fly to. -PF

I'm not sure if you mean, attaching the canopy to the harness backwards, or packing a correctly attached parachute so that it open backwards.

If it's the latter it'll just be a line twist like mentioned upboard. People do however attach canopies to harness' backwards sometimes by mistake. It's a bit harder to do nowadays than it used to be. Rigs equipped with RSLs (reserve static line) would show the RSL attachment to be on the wrong riser.

In the old days it used to be many people had their risers marked right and left to avoid that mistake.

When canopies were generally bigger and more forgiving intentionally attaching your canopy backwards was something you did once in awhile just for fun. There was even a spat of "backwards canopy relative work" going on for a while. However this was done by a generation already experienced in flying backwards with round parachutes and the low performance squares of the time.

Also, with some square canopies in those days you could stall the canopy and fly backwards. Instead of collapsing these canopies would go into what looks like a bowtie configuration and in that steady state they were pretty controllable. Letting up on the toggles would put you back into forward flight. Very early BASE jumpers sometimes used this method (with varying degrees of results) to avoid object strikes. (This involved stalling the canopy until it starts to reverse and then letting up on one toggle to make the evasive turn.)

Being a student the above may be a bit confusing, but it shows you are thinking. We'll save landing round parachutes that are not only backwards, but also inside out for another time . . . !

NickD :)BASE 194

This has happened on at least one occasion with which I am familiar when the mains were likely switched without removing them from the bags. The jumper in question was flying backwards at Sebastian after it happened, someone else having connected the risers backwards.

Edited to add: he cutaway and landed his reserve.

No one ever owned up to it.
|
I don't drink during the day, so I don't know what it is about this airline. I keep falling out the door of the plane.

Harry, FB #4143

If you are on a bigger canopy not nearly as big of a deal as on a smaller one. Good luck

Not necessarily ture. I believe that it's also a function of shape and wingloading. A couple of weeks ago, I twisted up a 269sf elliptical canopy loaded at 1.2 and it was a big deal vs a similarly sized non-elliptical I used to twist up as a student.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

Not only has it been hooked up backwards by some in the past, Wingnut (a DZ.COM poster) has apparently landed it backwards. :o

Hell, there are crazy people that do that on purpose then build backwards CRW 4-stacks, at night!!:o
Sky, Muff Bro, Rodriguez Bro, and
Bastion of Purity and Innocence!™

This has happened on at least one occasion with which I am familiar when the mains were likely switched without removing them from the bags. The jumper in question was flying backwards at Sebastian after it happened, someone else having connected the risers backwards.

Edited to add: he cutaway and landed his reserve.

No one ever owned up to it.

i actually saw a very experienced PST swooper and test pilot do this... he and a team mate were jumping some test canopies and apparently switched bags without unpacking the chute... they were doing clear and pulls and so were first out...

that thing opened FAST...looked really painful... we watched him fly around for a bit before he cut it away but there was some discussion as to if he would try to land it backwards... but given his wingloading even with his skill level it would have likely been a very bad idea...

some of his teammates were also on the load with him (doing some coaching, I was one of the students) and filmed the exit from the plane... we even watched the video again on the way up to full altitude and everyone had tears in their eyes from laughing

As have I. At the end of a cross-country where I got to fly backward the whole time :$

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

Not only has it been hooked up backwards by some in the past, Wingnut (a DZ.COM poster) has apparently landed it backwards. :o

I did a few jumps last febuary, and there was a guy there who was jumping some of his old shit. (Delta II, t-10, thunderbow)

His first jump of the day, he jumped the Delta II. From the ground, most of us had never seen a canopy like that, and it looked weird to say the least. Looked like he was flying in it backwards.
As he got closer to the ground, sure enough, he had hooked it up backwards :o .
Landed it within 2 feet of the target. :D

A friend of mine had gotten a new canopy about 9 years ago. He had his rigger attach it to the risers. Then he packed it up, and having only 40 jumps at the time or so, wasn't real attentive to what things were supposed to look like...

He jumps, deploys, and WTF... Nice clean opening, BUT... the fucking canopy was hooked up 90 degrees off!!! :D:D:D:S He looked up at it, did a double-take, tried a few controls, brakes worked fine. Ultimately he didn't feel confident he could land this safely, even with a wingloading of less than 1:1... so he chopped it.

His rigger, the dumbass who hooked it up, gave him a free reserve repack... :ph34r:
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

His rigger, the dumbass who hooked it up, gave him a free reserve repack...

That's almost unbelievable I'd have to say!

If it is a true fact, that rigger needs to return his ticket to the FAA IMO. >:(

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

If you don't check that the lines are straight, you can pack a round parachute inside out, so that it flies backwards. Not much of a problem these days.

The first thing you do when packing a round is to make sure it's not inside out, always. ;)

Be safe.
Ed

He jumps, deploys, and WTF... Nice clean opening, BUT... the fucking canopy was hooked up 90 degrees off!!! :D:D:D:S He looked up at it, did a double-take, tried a few controls, brakes worked fine. Ultimately he didn't feel confident he could land this safely, even with a wingloading of less than 1:1... so he chopped it.

But that would have been a beautiful sideways PLF!:S:D

That's almost unbelievable I'd have to say!

If it is a true fact, that rigger needs to return his ticket to the FAA IMO. >:(

There are times when you have to pay 110% attention to what you are doing. Hooking up a parachute is one of those times. That's one rigger I would probably avoid in the future. :o

This may seem a dumb question ... but how do you hook up a main 90deg wrong? I'm sure it can't be done at the 3rings ... do you connect the A/B lines to one riser and the C/D/steeringlines to the other? Seeing both toggles to one riser would be a big clue right? unless I'm missing something 90 degrees off sounds impossible to do accidently .. sounds trickey to do Intentinally

Good Judgment comes from experience...a lot of experience comes from bad
judgment.

This may seem a dumb question ... but how do you hook up a main 90deg wrong?

By stupidity.

do you connect the A/B lines to one riser and the C/D/steeringlines to the other? Seeing both toggles to one riser would be a big clue right? unless I'm missing something 90 degrees off sounds impossible to do accidently .. sounds trickey to do Intentinally

If the canopy came attached to the cardboard card, that clearly has the line groups marked such as right front, right rear and steering line, then it pretty self explanitory to hook up.

Regardless, a 4 line check should always be done when attaching a conopy to the risers.

Be safe.
Ed

I can't figure it out either, but it did happen and it was the damnedest thing we all saw that day. Unfortunately, I didn't get to really look at the lines and how they were set up, and how would I have understood it, being that I had 50 jumps at the time, give or take?
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

>but how do you hook up a main 90deg wrong?

A/B left to rear riser, A/B right to front riser, C/D left to other front riser, C/D right to other rear riser. Toggles still have to go through the guide rings. I once started to do this - got one line group hooked up and was starting on the second before I realized what I had done.

>>Regardless, a 4 line check should always be done when attaching a conopy to the risers.<<

Not just a 4 line check, a complete line continuity check should be done. (Just clarifying if that's what you meant) . . .

NickD :)BASE 194