Kimblair13

Certain aircraft more likely to cause tandem side-spin?

Not sure if I should post this here, but...Do you think one aircraft would be more likely to cause a tandem side-spin than another? Example: an otter compared to a 182? Just watched the Strong phenonima of side spin vid and it seems like having faster wind coming off the prop of an otter would be worse than that coming off a 182. I don't know though. I don't have my tandem rating or anything, just planning on getting it. (Oh yeah, 24 more jumps!).

The simple answer is NO.

The aircraft has no bearing on the spin itself. It's poor exiting and lack of control by the tandem Instructor that is the cause of it.

Be ON YOUR GAME and have good technique when doing tandems and it will never happen. ;)

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

Relative wind is relative wind. Some AC make it different to get into the relative wind but I wouldn't say it makes it more likely to cause a relative wind.

As for a 182 causing a sidespin? BS!

Then again, I've only done tandems out of a 182, 206, Caravan, Otter, Beech 99, Casa and a Skyvan.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Some doors are so small they make it difficult to present to the relative wind, i.e. Maule.

However, good instructor technique presents belly-to-wind 9 times out of 10 out of most popular jump planes.

But what do I know, having only done tandems out of Allouette 2, Beech 18, Queen Air, King Air, Twin Otter, Cessna 172, 182, 205, 206, 207, 208, 401, Dornier 228, DC-3, Maule, Porter and Skyvan?

But what do I know, having only done tandems out of Allouette 2, Beech 18, Queen Air, King Air, Twin Otter, Cessna 172, 182, 205, 206, 207, 208, 401, Dornier 228, DC-3, Maule, Porter and Skyvan?

Is that all? No Space Shuttle?:P

I've only done C182, C208, Twin Otter and Porter. Your helicopter tandem sounds like a lot of fun. A tandem master can get taken for a ride if he lets his guard down. I had a little girl do that to me last summer, trying to give her an extra flip since it was her 2nd tandem. It took a loooong time recover. :$

Cool!

We basically said the same thing, though.;)

Some day I'll get a cool list of planes like that going as well, I just need a couple thousand more tandem jumps to have similar numbers with you.B|
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Allouette

I got to do several from the chopper in Wildwood last year including a 83 year old man! Pretty tight quarters in there, but what a blast letting go.

I agree that you can have them out of any aircraft and good presentation will keep you from having one. But, I've seen more spin/near side--spins from a side door because the TM didn't present his chest to the wind. It's something your taught from your first jump...present out the door!:S It'll save you a lot of headaches and grey hairs if you do it.

I have to agree with everyone in this thread that if you are presenting into the wind, the chance of a sidespin is greatly reduced. That being said, twin bos, twin beeches, queen-aires and king-aires with the tight tandem exits are the ones that I have had sidespin scenarios out of. Actually, when I exit these planes now, I don't even try to get into the relative wind with large passengers, just flip a few times, get big, find stability and throw the drogue. seems to work much better for me!

I can show you video of the 100 stable, tandem exits I did from our King Air last year.

"Yeah, but didn't you do 250 tandems out of it?! What about the other 150?":D

I was talking to a new guy about something and I told him a similar saying like" I can show you video of 200 aff that I........" and he came back with that quote above. Damn kids nowadays.

I want to play... I have done a tandem out of a cessna 182 wide and narrow body, C-180,195,205,206,208 and grand 208, Beech 18, DC-3,porter, Skyvan, Twin Otter, King Air, Queen Air, Bell 205,212,412 and a C-130. Thats all I think, log book not near by.
Poor student position will put you in a side spin. Brief student on arching and if/when they do go fetal correct it quickly.B|