huka551

Keeping your A lisence

from what I understand you have to keep current, so yes, but I dont' think you loos your license if you dont' stay current but i'm sure you would have to go through some sort of currency dive w/ coach or instructor to have them check you out to make sure your good.... that and I'm sure different DZ's have different polocies about this type of stuff...

You have to jump once every 60 days to be current if you have an A license. Other licenses have different currency requirements. Once you've gone over the 60 days as an A licensed jumper you'll have to do some form of refesher training before you can jump again. It's a safety thing.

You have to be paid up on USPA membership for the license to be "valid" (whatever that means). That's a money thing. Ratings and membership can be revoked if you're a bad skydiver, but AFAIK no one can take your license away from you once you have it.

The USPA reference(s) you will find handy now and in the future are posted online HERE.

To answer your question, the USPA SIM says the following about currency:

USPA A-license holders who have not made a freefall skydive within —

1. 60 days: should make at least one jump under the supervision of a currently rated USPA instructional rating holder until demonstrating altitude awareness, freefall control on all axes, tracking, and canopy skills sufficient for safely jumping in groups

2. 90 days: should make at least one jump beginning in Category D with a USPA AFF Instructor or in Category B with a USPA IAD Static-Line, or Tandem Instructor before proceeding to unsupervised freefall

Cheers!
Arrive Safely

John

If not clear, you don't lose your license as long as you pay your dues. Even with a gap in membership you license becomes recognized again with rejoining. But, to be considered current to do unsupervised jump USPA wants you to follow the recommendations above. Even D license holders have currency requirements.
I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE

Actually, currency is not a requirement. It's a recommendation. You can go twenty years between jumps and as long as you're a current USPA member you can jump at USPA GM DZs. Even without USPA membership you can still jump at many USPA GM DZs if you're a foreign visitor.Your first jump back after twenty years can be a 40 way night freefly skydive while jumping a main you packed yourself twenty years ago. As for licences, they're forever. You can have a licence and stop jumping and still have that same licence for life. There are no time limits or curency limitations on licences. So as gar as what's required and what's not, check the BSR's for what's required, the things that if you don't do you could get booted from the USPA. And know the recommendations, the things that if you don't do you might be seen as a hero by some, death in waiting by others, stupid, dangerous, but not in violation. There are rules and then there are good ideas.

.Your first jump back after twenty years can be a 40 way night freefly skydive while jumping a main you packed yourself twenty years ago.

I thought that as with reserves, mains must also be repacked every 120 days? Then again, I could be dead wrong about this. Is that just the "recommended" repack time?

i know one jumper with nearly 2500 jumps and only an A....

i never saw the point in getting any of the intermediate licenses and dragged my feet getting another night jump before the number change for D... eventually i'll get around to it...

Reference? I think you're wrong on this one. It's only the "emergency" parachute that is required to be packed by a rigger within the previous 120 days.

Edit
(I am wrong, learn something new every day):$

So, disregard my asking for a reference.

('cause I found the correct info) (/edit)

-------------------------------------
§ 105.43 Use of single-harness, dual-parachute systems.
No person may conduct a parachute operation using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, unless that system has at least one main parachute, one approved reserve parachute, and one approved single person harness and container that are packed as follows:

(a) The main parachute must have been packed within 120 days before the date of its use of a certificated parachute rigger, the person making the next jump with that parachute, or a non-certificated person under the direct supervision of a certification parachute rigger.

(b) The reserve parachute must have been packed by a certificated parachute rigger—

(1) Within 120 days before the date of its use, if its canopy, shroud, and harness are composed exclusively of nylon, rayon, or similar synthetic fiber or material that is substantially resistant to damage from mold, mildew, and other fungi, and other rotting agents propagated in a moist environment; or

(2) Within 60 days before the date of its use, if it is composed of any amount of silk, pongee, or other natural fiber, or material not specified in paragraph (b)(1) of this section.

(c) If installed, the automatic activation device must be maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions for that automatic activation device.

Mains must be packed within the last 120 days by a rigger, someone under the direct supervision of a rigger or the person jumping it. No documentation, specific equipment, or facilities required for mains.

BUT a TANDEM main is NOT required to be packed within the last 120 days. They forgot that part when they put tandems in the FAR's.

We realized that for the 180 day exemption we're writing we should include the 120 day main requirment to 180 days.

Sec. 105.43 Use of single-harness, dual-parachute systems

No person may conduct a parachute operation using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, and no pilot in command of an aircraft may allow any person to conduct a parachute operation from that aircraft using a single-harness, dual-parachute system, unless that system has at least one main parachute, one approved reserve parachute, and one approved single person harness and container that are packed as follows:

(a) The main parachute must have been packed within 120 days before the date of its use by a certificated parachute rigger, the person making the next jump with that parachute, or a non-certificated person under the direct supervision of a certificated parachute rigger.

(b) The reserve parachute must have been packed by a certificated parachute rigger-

(1) Within 120 days before the date of its use, if its canopy, shroud, and harness are composed exclusively of nylon, rayon, or similar synthetic fiber or material that is substantially resistant to damage from mold, mildew, and other fungi, and other rotting agents propagated in a moist environment; or

(2) Within 60 days before the date of its use, if it is composed of any amount of silk, pongee, or other natural fiber, or material not specified in paragraph (b)(1) of this section.

(c) If installed, the automatic activation device must be maintained in accordance with manufacturer instructions for that automatic activation device.

emphasis added and the tandem text

(b) No person may make a parachute jump with a tandem parachute system unless-

(1) The main parachute has been packed by a certificated parachute rigger, the parachutist in command making the next jump with that parachute, or a person under the direct supervision of a certificated parachute rigger.

(2) The reserve parachute has been packed by a certificated parachute rigger in accordance with Sec. 105.43(b) of this part.

I'm old for my age.
Terry Urban
D-8631
FAA DPRE