justaflygirl

Christian Skydivers...

But if you feel offended by my post, so was I by the initial post.

I think it's a bit out of line....but...

You're forgiven

:)

Yes, be nice to the trolls and they can do us no harm.

WE LOVE YOU TROLLS!!! :D:D:D
Why yes, my license number is a palindrome. Thank you for noticing.

OK, so I'm a little late to this thread... But, yes I am also a Christian. I'm so excited seeing all of these people speak up! Can someone put together a list and post it?

Oh, and I am also a member of CSA.
Danielle

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

That's right Chris, about Chicago having services every Sunday morning. I wish more DZ's did. We Christians could easily make that happen. Just need a little yard space and I'm sure it would be real easy to find a local pastor who would come and do it.

jt

I got no beef with fraternities or sub groups in skydiving or life in general. As long as they don't intrude on my life, I have no objections - quite the contrary. Bonding's good.

But with th CSA thing I see two potential problems. One is in the text above.

I go to the DZ to get away from everyday stuff - and that includes the church and religions and politics and everything else that is potentially dividing and might put people up against each other for no reason. So, if someone dragged a mobile church to my dropzone, I'd ask them to set it up at a non intrusive place. One I wouldn't have to pass on my way to a load/packing and so on. Then it wouldn't intrude on my life and I wouldn't limit others skydivers abilities to do their thing.

Thing number two about the CSA thatI find a bit disturbing is this (quote from their goals on their website):

Take the Gospel message of Jesus Christ, Acts 16:31, Romans 10: 9, to the community of parachuting enthusiasts.

Dudes. Seriously. I don't wanna hear about Chtulhu (ok, maybe a bit, coz Lovecraft is a scary mofo writer) or the Easter Bunny or the Christian God in its many manifestations or Allah. Due to cultural bias, I'll listen if you're talking about Thor or Odin because they're pretty cool. Particularly Freja, I like her.

Anyway, my point is: you'll get farther working in the quiet so to speak. Preaching to people about your religious beliefs is invading their privacy, unless they specifically asked for it. Leave that bit out of it and I'm positive coexistance will be enjoyed. But push your beliefs on others and there's a high risk of conflict. And, unfortunately I must say, I'll be the first one to sign up for it.

I really do believe in the 'Do unto others...' (which predates Christianity, but that's a tangent) and if my fellow Christian skydivers can see my perspective and I theirs, then that would be a cool thing

I go to the DZ to get away from everyday stuff - and that includes the church and religions and politics and everything else that is potentially dividing and might put people up against each other for no reason. So, if someone dragged a mobile church to MY dropzone, I'D ask them to set it up at a non intrusive place. One I wouldn't have to pass on MY way to a load/packing and so on. Then it wouldn't intrude on MY life and I wouldn't limit others skydivers abilities to do their thing.

It's a skydiving community...it's not about YOU!;)

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

Thing number two about the CSA thatI find a bit disturbing is this (quote from their goals on their website):

Take the Gospel message of Jesus Christ, Acts 16:31, Romans 10: 9, to the community of parachuting enthusiasts.

Dudes. Seriously. I don't wanna hear about Chtulhu (ok, maybe a bit, coz Lovecraft is a scary mofo writer) or the Easter Bunny or the Christian God in its many manifestations or Allah. Due to cultural bias, I'll listen if you're talking about Thor or Odin because they're pretty cool. Particularly Freja, I like her.

Anyway, my point is: you'll get farther working in the quiet so to speak. Preaching to people about your religious beliefs is invading their privacy, unless they specifically asked for it. Leave that bit out of it and I'm positive coexistance will be enjoyed. But push your beliefs on others and there's a high risk of conflict. And, unfortunately I must say, I'll be the first one to sign up for it.

I really do believe in the 'Do unto others...' (which predates Christianity, but that's a tangent) and if my fellow Christian skydivers can see my perspective and I theirs, then that would be a cool thing

I'm sorry, but I missed the part in CSA's goals about "pushing our beliefs on others". I didn't see it mention "invading someone’s privacy by preaching to them without being asked".

I know that this probably is not the place for this discussion. I just want you to know that just because I decide to associate my self with a certain religious label does not mean that I do everything that you have experienced from others with this label. It saddens me that when people hear of Christians they automatically jump to the thought of having beliefs shoved down their throats! Please realize that we are not all like that. Some of us prefer to witness through spreading the love of God!

If you showed up at my dz, I wouldn't care what kind of t-shirt you had on or what kind of religious activity you did, I would still jump with you, welcome you and love you. All I'm asking for is the same respect that I show others!

Sorry about the hijack!
Danielle

"Life is either a great adventure or nothing." - Helen Keller

I'm a Christian too! ...but still working on the "skydiver" part :)

Lol, me too! B|

"I have done that," says my memory. "I cannot have done that," says my pride, and remains adamant. At last, memory yields. - Nietzsche

But with th CSA thing I see two potential problems.

"Potential"

In reality, I know quite a few members of the CSA. Some even say quiet prayers on the plane.

I probably have less interest in discussing religion than anyone you have ever met, but I have never had a CSA member bug me about it.

The only exception is on the rare occasions when I see Ron and he says something about people using profanity. He is generally ignored. People on the dz having excited conversations about politics irritate me more.

At WFFC, they have a quiet morning prayer service in the main entertainment tent. People who aren't interested will walk right past. They do their thing, I do mine. That seems to be working ok.

I am a Christian and am glad to see this thread. For those that seem worried that if we get together they will be bothered by us at the DZ:

I try to live my Christian life at work, skydiving etc. as an example. Admittedly I am not always successful. But as St. Francis said "Go evangelize, and sometimes use words."
>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Lord, let me be the person my dog thinks I am.

Christians gathering together for a short while in prayer and worship is what I had in mind. You and others seem to have a vision in mind of a Christian standing on a busy street corner with a bull horn screaming hell and damnation. As a Christian, I am just as much turned off by that image as you.

Instead, at the dz before the first load of the day or between loads or on a weather hold, picture a few friends standing around discussing the latest swoop meet, over there a few friends standing around discussing NASCAR, over there a few friends dirt diving, over there a few friends discussing a recent concert, and over there a few friends praying and discussing amongst themselves how Jesus changed their lives.

Now you can stroll around and listen for a second and decide whether to join in any of these conversations or just keep moving on. Nobody's trying to convert you into a NASCAR fan or trying to force you to swoop. If you want to listen fine, if not, live and let live.

Blessings to you,

jt

Let's all do this safe enough that we can still do this in our 90's.

I often think of these words when in the jump plane.

I Sing the Mighty Power of God,
that made the mountains rise;
That spread the flowing seas abroad,
And built the lofty skies.
I sing the wisdom that ordained
The sun to rule the day;
The moon shines full at His command,
And all the stars obey.

While all that borrows life from Thee
Is ever in Thy care,
And everywhere that man can be,
Thou, God, art present there.

From "I Sing the Mighty Power of God".

Christians are not devisive they just dont drink and get nude. and they pray for ya.

serious they are great

Ron is a great guy. Christian skydiving is his baby.

I wonder if ron could land with just his angel wings and not that old canopy. still land in the peas.

My only complaint is ron flat packs ( how offensive )

but he is a great guy and a christian

Thanks for the kind words. I'm jumping in late on this thread.

But, for those who don't know the CHRISTIAN SKYDIVERS ASSOCIATION has been around since 1987. Several other jumpers before me attempted to organize but for one reason or another discontinued their efforts.

The CSA is along the same lines as POPS, ultra informal. The purpose is to provide a point of recognition between skydivers who are Christian, via the CSA emblem. After that, let the Lord guide.

I usually jump at Skydive Tampa Bay, South Lakeland Airpark, Cliff Dobson's DZ, because it is only 8 miles from home. We have been holding a Sunday morning Bible study at 0700 and then manifest for the first load.

BTW, what do you mean "old canopy?" My Z-po 190 is only 13 years old and my PD 218 Lightning about 16. Shucks! Don't you know how to take care of your gear?;)

And, just for the record, I know how to Pro Pack. I choose not to, most of the time.

Ron,

So glad to see your post here. Read back through the posts and see all the folks who said they didn't know about the Christian Skydiver Assn., and that they want to join. SIGN EM UP!!! :)

I will definetly come over for the 0700 Service and jump one of these Sundays, when the weather gets a little more consistent.

Blessings to you, my brother in Christ,

jt

Let's all do this safe enough that we can still do this in our 90's.

As you say, it's a community. I'm part of it. I won't push my religious or political beliefs or symbols on anyone, unless they ask for it.

If we are to function as a community with minimal friction, we better be willing to find ways to coexist. Mind you, I don't want to ban religious activities at the DZ. But there are specific places for that. Churches, synagouges etc.

HappyThoughts Yep potential. I am very intleli..le smart, so I purposedly used that word :P
The DZ is primarily there to get us jumping. Its primary function is not a place of worship, unless you're talking Turbine planes or somesuch :P.

So, you do your thing, I do mine, and let's try to take each other into consideration before we act?

So, you do your thing, I do mine, and let's try to take each other into consideration before we act?

That's all I'm saying! B|

I know it takes away from the whole
skydiving experience to possibly have a group
of those wild and crazy Christians whooping it
up with a short prayer service.
They are infringing on my very right of choice,
since I have no other alternative but to
see them there.

Ya know what...
I don't like Chinese food either!
I think that anyone bringing Chinese food to
the dropzone should have their gear conficated
and be banned from the USPA for life!

...and the pink jumpsuit people...what's up
with THEM?:S

Are you for REAL?!

I really don't care if someone wishes to worship
a can of Lima Beans...It's NONE of my concern!

As long as they don't tie me down and force
feed them to me, what's the difference?
If out of the kindness of their heart..and
common politeness, they should OFFER me
some lima beans...

I would be just as gratious when I decline the offer...

Because after all, I'm am Atheist....
that HATES lima Beans!

Do you really get all worked up over someone
else practicing religion?

I guess everyone needs a cause...!

~ If you choke a Smurf, what color does it turn? ~

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
In Reply To
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My Z-po 190 is only 13 years old

So what are you saying Ron...?

I got your OLD(er) Zpo 190???
and it the newest canopy I have!!!

You have the new one, SN 006; mine is SN 004.

Ron,

So glad to see your post here. Read back through the posts and see all the folks who said they didn't know about the Christian Skydiver Assn., and that they want to join. SIGN EM UP!!! :)

Seems like I got reprimanded once a while back for soliciting in the forums. Anyone interested in joining can visit the CSA website for further info.

I know you can pro--pack RON please take no offence

but that AARP - 190 you jump has to much arthritis to pro-pack.

Every time Ron packs before he closes his rig he, pours a half a bottle of ensure in the containor, puts two centrum Silver tabs in the hacky handle and then raps a depends around the pilot chute.

I have a theological question I dont know much about the Christian Religion but I heard of the rapture

If the rapture happens when Ron is in the air will his parachute still land on the pea pit??