kevinwhelan

Have Skyride come to Ireland

Anyone know about this "Dropzone" ?
No one here in Ireland has heard of them
and they Claim to have the only two turbines in the country

http://www.pearsecom.com/fiorspeartha/index.html

edited cos I'm Thick

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

And are they the only DZ in the world that includes a "full set of your own custom made equipment" in the cost for AFF....??!!

And up to six jumps on your first day of static line jumping?? And another 300 pounds for DRP & 1st freefall training after static line... isn't this usually 'free'? (is at my DZ)
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

This is what whois returned

Registrant:
PearseCom
2 Slade Street
Preston, Lancashire pr1 8ne
UK

Domain name: PEARSECOM.COM

Administrative Contact:
Pearse, Rose [email protected]
2 Slade Street
Preston, Lancashire pr1 8ne
UK
+44.01772822303
Technical Contact:
Hostmaster, Internetters [email protected]
Research House
Fraser Road
Greenford, Middlesex UB6 7AQ
GB
+44.2085373434 Fax: +44.2085373435

Registrar of Record: Internetters, http://www.internetters.co.uk
Record last updated on 05-Jul-2004.
Record expires on 06-Sep-2005.
Record created on 06-Sep-2001.

Domain servers in listed order:
NS1.SYSTEMIPS.COM 207.44.232.53
NS2.SYSTEMIPS.COM

Domain status: REGISTRAR-LOCK

Any one know this Pearse Rose?
or anyone named on the site
Skydiving in Ireland is tough enough without the bad feeing this can cause

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

I vote real.

They give their exact location; the site doesn’t really exhibit that much of a skyride feel to it at all. Its not as swish for a start, it’s not linking to hundreds of others, doesn’t come up on google hits, doesn’t go on about vouchers.

Look at their acknowledgements page - their gear's from square1 - someone here therefore must know them if that's true. They even acknowledge the co. who did their site and link to their page.

Is it just that you’ve not heard of them before that you’re saying they must be skyride? I could well be wrong, but to me it just feels like an honest DZ website.

Exact location? Look at that map again... and i couldn't find any phone #s, which seems a bit odd?

Also, I don't really know, they say they are "linked" to the BPA? What does that mean? Isn't there a national skydiving body in Ireland - if there is it's not mentioned. And if they've been operating as long as they say they have surely the locals should have heard about them by now?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Well it's just my feel of the page. And "Fíorspéartha is based half a mile outside of the village of Ros a Mhíl, deep in the Cos Fhairrge region of Connemara." seems to be fairly good directions for anyone who lives in the area.

The BPA link's funny though. Needs to be .org not .co

They are definatly not real
There is no turbine jump planes in Southeran Ireland
Also why do they not mention the PAI the Irish governing body

The site ADMIN's address coming back to a "hotmail.com" addy, tells me all I need to know about the site.

I won't even click on it. Might shell-out to a safe browser to do so, but those of you who have now gone directly to it may want to check your memory and hard drives for spyware! Seriously.

Not for me. No thanks.
Blues,
-Grant
coitus non circum - Moab Stone

The site ADMIN's address coming back to a "hotmail.com" addy, tells me all I need to know about the site.

I won't even click on it. Might shell-out to a safe browser to do so, but those of you who have now gone directly to it may want to check your memory and hard drives for spyware! Seriously.

It is common, when registering a domain, to have to supply a contact email address that is on a different domain (if your hosting company is going to cut you off for non payment of bills then they need another, working, address to contact you on). Do a Whois on my domain (ivanpeters.com) and your'll find my work address as an administrative contact. If I lost my job I would have to change it to something like a hotmail account.

This Rose Pearse has obviously bought some web space and a domain (from internetters.co.uk) and set herself up as a web design and hosting company. This DZ hired her to design and host their site.

What doesn't quite add-up is that they appear to have enough money to have a fleet of aircraft but clearly haven't spent much on their web site. But, perhaps they are not internet savvy enough to know how bad it is.

Ivan

Yeah, I wouldn't put my real email or home address in the whois info if I registered a site. It'd just be a big old spam target.

I personally use yahoo as my "real" email address. Many people use hotmail. I don't know what's mentally wrong with those people, but some people do.

Dave

Are the pic's on the main page at Skydive Chicago ?
Sure looks like it.

Yes, every single pic was taken at SDC. I know that some of those pics were taken by either Mike Garza or Woody. Quite a few of them seem to have been taken around 1999 or 2000 just before the 300 way attempt. I'll send them both an email to let them see the site.

Definitely not real ,its a small country with a very small skydiving population ,
We all know each other and would know if there was a turbine DZ operating in out back yard !
Dont know any of the staff either ,specially the ones who are supposed to be Irish

A skydiving friend of mine lives in Maam Cross in Connemara and I think she would notice a " twin turbo-engined ???" Grand Caravan flying over her house ;)

Also all the aircraft photos appear to come from the Cessna website ?
Could just be a student project but would love to know what these guys are up to .

Hi Padraig
I emailed the office of consumer affairs and the IAA (Irish FAA) and asked them to check it out
no reply yet,
will post any info I get

Definately BS. They claim to have been in operation since at least 2000. There is only IPC, GoSkydive, Falcons and The Wild Geese (in NI). They seem to have more staff than the IPC which seems odd. Currently only The Wild Geese operate a turbine (Caravan), although IPC is looking into buying one.

They also claim to have a turbo 206, I'm not even sure that there is one in the country although IPC have a NA 206 all right. There are no twin Caravans, and what is a "Cessna Caravan 675" anyway. The 600 series are Citation Biz Jets. Maybe they mean the Grand Caravan 208B with the 675 shp P&W PT6A.

The site claims that they operate out of "Ros a Mhíl, deep in the Cos Fhairrge (sea-side) region of Connemara". This is referring to Minna airport in the Inverrin/Rossaveel area. This is the grass strip that AerArann operate out of to the Arann Islands, and no paradrop has ever occurred there to my knowledge. I wouldn't like to jump there - the winds coming off the Atlantic rarely drop to anything near acceptable levels.

The IAA will not not be of much help as they seem to be trying their best to inhibit the growth of GA in Ireland, I doubt that the would be very interested in dealing with skydiving any more than is absolutely necessary. [:/]
Drop the PAI a line and you may get a more positive response. This site may be the work of a student for a project but looks a little too ligitimate for comfort. I tried filling in junk in the registration info form and it accepted it.

Has anyone checked out the staff page? Someone must know who they are if they are real. They seem like an ecclectic bunch I wonder how they communicate? Not the foriegns but the guy from Kent. We Kent types have only a 1000 word vocabulary ... and 850 of those words are F*ck:P

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

Thier aircraft have US call signs. I checked the Stationair, it's for sale in South Carolina right now.
The Caravans look american too.
I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.