binkster

Performance Designs Bad Attitude

alright i got too many replies with people not flyin aggressive canopies. Isn't it my choice how fast I want to go. I know the possibilities.

Huh. Ok. I fly a XF2 loaded at 1.9:1, is that agressive enough?

I'll tell you that when I had 200 jumps I was flying a Heatwave loaded at 1.7:1. I'll also tell you that I really REALLY wish I would have jumped something loaded at 1.2 or 1.3 instead (looking back at it now). I would have learned much MUCH more and ended up being a better canopy pilot today.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I have the accepted email from kim but you called me at 6 in the mornin. She checked the criteria and got approval. You seem to have been misinformed. I am going icarus regardless. And I still think that you were completely unprofessional. I shouldnt technically blame PD themselves. But you do work there.

It seems there are a lot of smart asses that think they know your situation better than you do.

Unfortunately I have been to a lot of funerals where the jumper knew more than everyone else and was a better pilot than his jump numbers indicated.

I hope this is not indicative of the advice you are giving to new jumpers at your dz.

Blue skies,

Jim

i hear you dude im not the bad guy here. I just got like 50 replies and I am being questioned for my choice to demo a katana. I already jumpa stiletto and nitron and have 400 jumps in about a year plus

Huh, how far could you swoop the stiletto? What about the Nitron? I bet you couldn't do what good canopy pilots can do with lesser canopies.

Well, I'll tell you something. You show up to my DZ with a Katana and 400 jumps, you wouldn't be allowed to jump. We would be happy to let you rent a Sabre2, but a Katana...dude, for 400 jumps, I don't care who you are, that's a seriously high performance canopy. Nevermind that its a 120 (or smaller).

I've seen too many people hook in, I've seen too many people die. I've seen people who will never walk again and I even saw a guy I know hook in under an Omega that hit so hard it severed both optic nerves and even knocked one of his eyes out of his head.

So you do what you want, you jump what you want, hopefully you'll come through it ok and when you have more jumps and more experience you'll look back at this thread shacking your head in embarressment.

I know I'm a hypocrite, I know what I jumped with low jump numbers. I got lucky, that's why I'm so adiment about this subject. Its very serious.

I say (along with a lot of other people) that you are the bad guy here. Folks are trying to help you make the right kinds of choices and you're bashing them. That's one hell of a fuck you to some seriously experienced people (i.e. the folks at PD).

Good luck, hope you don't live to regret this decision from a wheel chair.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

alright i got too many replies with people not flyin aggressive canopies.

So what? Some of us know our limits based on our age and/or skill level and seen enough of our friend's splintered bones when they got into trouble under their "faster" canopies. Most of them are no longer jumping. Do you want to be just like them? They were really fast swoopers too, for a very short time!

Isn't it my choice how fast I want to go.

Not when you are making it harder for the rest of us to continue in the sport after your accident. It's not if you have one, it is only when.

I know the possibilities.

Obviously you don't. Next time someone at your dz femurs in, go stay with them in the hospital the first few days then tell me you can accept what they've gone through so easily.

Blue skies,

Jim

I have spent several weeks tryin to get a Demo canopy from PD and they have run me in circles. They are the biggest dealer with the worst record of satisfaction. No wonder no one likes them. Maybe they have a decent product but who wants to use a product that is made by a company with no regard to an individuals needs. Tryin to deal with Pd is like tryin to deal with a corporate lawyer. Only that you dont even have a chance at a fair deal.:(

I've jumped PD canopies and dealt with PD since the mid-late 80s and your experience is unlike mine or anyone else I've encountered. PD has a great record of personal satisfaction in my experience but I've only owned 11 of their canopies and sold another 20-25 so maybe I'm missing something.

"no one likes PD" Get real...

"no regards to an individuals needs?" Who are you talking with?

"like trying to deal with a corporate lawyer" ? Who are you talking with and can you get more specific about the circumstances, questions, your experience level and what you want to demo?

Might I also suggest you park your attitude...

pms

They are the biggest dealer with the worst record of satisfaction.

There is nothing wrong with feeling this way. It seems there are a lot of smart asses that think they know your situation better than you do.

Customer service is important. Statements about the skydiving industry not being like McDonalds or PD refusing to run their demo program like a mail order program are in fact part of the problem.

We are all grown adults and capable of making our own decisions on what we choose to fly. The people at PD don't know anything about you and shouldn't be in the business of "rating" skydivers abilities.

What is the point of checking references for a demo anyway? Anyone can use "fake" references and if someone bounces, PD could get sued because they didn't check the references properly.

It's opening a can of worms that could be totally avoided if they would just treat skydivers like adults
and have a general waiver of liability, just like the one you sign at the DZ.

This is so funny that it has to be a troll. Or else Dead4Life is living in another world. Just my two cents...

You came out in public to bash a company for not giving you what you want, and when questioned of further details, you won't even back up your story. If you want to convince people publicly that PD sucks, then back up your claim with facts. If you have none and are just bitter because they're too smart to hand you a Velocity, then admit you were wrong and apologize before people really start thinking poorly of you for willfully and purposefully slandering a reputable company and a valuable asset to our skydiving community.

I often make posts then have to be away from the puter for hours. Not all of us can sit on dzcom all day long. Plus I know Binkster, he's a nice guy. I'm sure when he has time he'll respond.

Oops, my bad. I didn't look to see the time of post. I just noticed a few pages of replies and assumed. You know what happens when you assume....:D:$

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I have spent several weeks tryin to get a Demo canopy from PD and they have run me in circles. They are the biggest dealer with the worst record of satisfaction. No wonder no one likes them. Maybe they have a decent product but who wants to use a product that is made by a company with no regard to an individuals needs. Tryin to deal with Pd is like tryin to deal with a corporate lawyer. Only that you dont even have a chance at a fair deal

I love PD...In fact it is their not just sending out canopies to just anyone since they signed a waiver that makes it so I BUY PD canopies when I have been offerd FREE canopies from other companies.

I want to support the company with the good product that is responsible and not out to just make a buck.

My first new canopy was orderd as a Stiletto 97...John called and we talked for 30-40 mins. After our talk he agreed to sell me a 107...After our talk I bought a 120.

You have to LOVE a company like that.

They care about the customer, not the customers wallet.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

alright i got too many replies with people not flyin aggressive canopies. Isn't it my choice how fast I want to go. I know the possibilities.

OK I have 2,000 jumps on a Stiletto loaded at around 1.75...Is that enough?

How about 200 jumps on a Velo 96 at 1.87?

How about 300 or so jumps on an 88 loaded at over 2.0? No?

OK how about a few jumps on a 69 loaded at 2.6?

I hear people say they knw what they are doing al the time...Very few really do know what they are doing.

Some get broken badly
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

First, I have no issues with PD. Everyone there has been totally nice and treated me right. When I sent one of my canopies in for a re-line they phoned me and let me know what their rigger found upon inspecting the canopy. They gave me a price and told me when I could expect the canopy back. Their work on the canopy was totally professional.

As far as the demo program goes, They even have their reserve canopies set up for demo and I got to demo a PD126R canopy so I know that there would be no surprises if I ever had to use the one I have in my container.

Like others said, PD is interested in YOUR SAFETY and are not going to give you a demo canopy that they feel you do not have the experience to demo.
This protects them with the liability issues etc.

An example of how PD takes your safety serious is when I demoed the PD126R Reserve. They gave me specific instructions on how to deploy this canopy at terminal when it was set up for a main. I followed their instructions and had a very rewarding and pleasant flight and a great landing under the parachute.

In summation, PD is a very good company to deal with.

Chris

Blink,

Sorry you had a bad experience with PD. You seem to be more of an exception than the rule. When I called PD looking for a canopy to demo it went very smoothly. I advised kim I was new to sport, what I jumped in AFF, who my instructor was and my who my DZ S, T, & A was. I told her to feel free to contact any of them regarding my limited skill. She got back with me via e-mail a few days later and sent me the demo.

I would like to think if you owned a large company that allowed demos, you would be as careful as PD is. I think it would beyond foolish if PD allowed me to Demo a Sabre2 150 with my WL and experience. As far as one fellar being rude to you, no one is perfect and we all have bad days.

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Im not crying. The marketing director treated me like shit after i was approved for the demo.

How?

So far we've got yet another baseless accusation. If you really want to get the word out about PD's terrible customer service then you need to tell us more than "I was treated badly". Tell us HOW you were treated badly, tell us the WHOLE story.

For what it's worth - I checked your profile, it says you're flying a Nitron 135 at 1.63. Seems to me that you're after either a Velo or a Katana in the 120 or smaller range. At only 400 jumps I applaud their decision to do some research before sending out those canopies at that wingloading. Good on them.

Anyhow - let's hear the entire story. It lends more credibility to your side of the argument.

-
Jim
"Like" - The modern day comma
Good bye, my friends. You are missed.

I have more jumps on a VX-60 @ 3.1:1 than you have total. You may abstractly know the possibilities, but you don't know how likely those possibilities are. How well can you fly the Stiletto? How many jumps on it? Hint: 400 jumps on the same canopy and you are getting a good handle on it. I seriously doubt all your 400 jumps were o the same Stiletto. What size is it? What size Katana were you looking at? What model an size are you looking at from Icarus now?

You don't know what you don't know. You are the sterotypical downsizing too fast and don't realize it skydiver.[:/]

Derek