binkster

Performance Designs Bad Attitude

I have spent several weeks tryin to get a Demo canopy from PD and they have run me in circles. They are the biggest dealer with the worst record of satisfaction. No wonder no one likes them. Maybe they have a decent product but who wants to use a product that is made by a company with no regard to an individuals needs. Tryin to deal with Pd is like tryin to deal with a corporate lawyer. Only that you dont even have a chance at a fair deal.:(

Everyone I have ever dealt with from PD has been great. The only time I have ever heard anything bad is when someone wants to try a canopy they are not ready for. I know a guy at my DZ tried to get a Vengance demo at 230 jumps and after they call the S&TA, PD just did not return his e-mails. I am not sure what you are looking for or if the above is similar to what you are looking for but in my experiance PD has been great.
Kirk

No wonder no one likes them.

You sure about this? I seem to know plenty of people (myself included) who like PD products and like PD customer service. Are they perfect? No ... but they are the industry leader for more reasons than just making good canopies.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I have spent several weeks tryin to get a Demo canopy from PD and they have run me in circles.

Having been through the PD demo process twice, I'm guessing there's a good reason why they have you running in circles. It couldn't have been more straight forward for me. My Spectre 135 demo arrived just a few days after I put in the demo order. The Sabre2 135 demo took a little longer since it's so much newer, but I was put on the waiting list and it arrived as expected.

What are you trying to demo and what exactly is the issue? From your post it sounds like they don't think you're ready for a certain canopy so you're coming here to cry about it. Tell me there's a better story...

Dave

I just sent my Sabre 2 back for testing because it seems there is a problem with it. They have been prompt, polite, helpful and very professional at all times. They have arranged a dealer here in the UK to send me a demo Sabre 2 to use while they are testing mine.

So far I can't fault them.

I have spent several weeks tryin to get a Demo canopy from PD

First things first.... what type and size canopy have you requested? PD has a reputation for having the BEST demo program in the market. I am betting there is more to this story than the original rant... assuming this isn't a troll.

Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

I've dealt with several of the PD Guys/Gals and have no issues with their actions. The demo's were sent promptly and as scheduled and they even let me keep the Sabre2 150 an extra week due to me spraining my ankle playing softball. I do know that they won't let you progress faster than THEY are comfortable with NO MATTER WHAT!!!

I have a couple of questions.
1. what canopy are you trying to demo?
2. Have you spoken with any of the staff or the EXCELLENT canopy coaches at Kapow and what were their recommendations?
The last is a statement from someone that has picked up after too many broken bodies...
IF PD isn't giving you a canopy because they do not feel as though you are experienced enough I applaud them!!

Oh and just a point of information...PD isn't a dealer;)

[:/] only "bad attitude",, might be yours..:S
never had anything but Good experiences with Performance Designs.......
... of course... everybody is different...
Is it a canopy size issue ?? or maybe an availability issue... maybe your current choice is very popular.. Even though a manufacturer is willing to send you a demo,,doesn't mean they're in a hurry to do it at their expense... Did you offer to cover "next day shipping" or else shipping of ANY kind....? Have you been short or demanding when you contact them????... I'm not sure what P D 's equipment demo program is like...but I bet it's responsible and professional...

You might consider being grateful that they would EVEN send jumpers brand new canopies to 'test drive'
... be that jumper AND be critical and petty and you may just push yourself to the back of the line....:| skydiving is a little different than normal day to day life, and business dealings.... We do for one another out of a common respect... jumping is Not
" mail order".. it's not I need to have it now.!!!... and so maybe manufactures go that extra miles for people who are skydivers first.. and customers second,,, rather than for someone.. who Notifies them that they , " will now have a demo canopy"
..... my post here is general in nature and not meant to be specific to your situation..could be.. things were much different for you,,,. but sometimes impatience can let us forget our manners....

Hello Everyone,

Although my username is my old one, I am now working as the marketing director at Performance Designs. I first want to thank all of you who have posted regarding this thread and Performance Designs appreciates the support. We also want to thank all of you who have participated in our demo program and we appreciate the opportunities we have had to earn your business.

As some of you know, we do have guidelines for giving canopies out to customers and if a demo request does not fit into our parameters. In this situation, Kim our demo coordinator, felt like she needed to check some references and it took a couple of weeks to get to the person who had the best information. We apologize to this customer that we were not able to process his request faster.As normal, we sent follow up e-mails informing this customer about our progress. I publicly would like to commend Kim on doing a great job handling the demo requests and if any of you have not worked with her yet, please e-mail her at [email protected]. Thank you.

Justin Thornton

They are the biggest dealer with the worst record of satisfaction.

1st not a dealer, second where did you get your info PD? Show me:S

No wonder no one likes them.

Who says....you....

Maybe they have a decent product but who wants to use a product that is made by a company with no regard to an individuals needs.

Let me see, their product is exactly that... individual needs.. Why do you think they have so many line/styles of canopies? Huh maybe thats why they are the leaders...

Their Demo program is probably a MAJOR cost for them, they cant and shouldnt have enough demo's to supply every phone call that comes in.
If the canopy you requested is out, wait your turn.
they will get it to you.

Hope you get a chance to work it out with them, they rock!

Kolla rocks. The only negative thing I have to say about her, is she won't give me her hat:ph34r:
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I have spent several weeks tryin to get a Demo canopy from PD and they have run me in circles. They are the biggest dealer with the worst record of satisfaction. No wonder no one likes them. Maybe they have a decent product but who wants to use a product that is made by a company with no regard to an individuals needs. Tryin to deal with Pd is like tryin to deal with a corporate lawyer. Only that you dont even have a chance at a fair deal.:(

get a few more jumps under you belt, and maybe a instructor rating, and then you would be VERY pleased with the way P.D. handles there demo's and not letting the wrong canopy get into the wrong pilots hands.

i know of 2 people that i worked with on canopy control that got upset with me or one of there other coaches because WE wouldnt let them jump the P.D. canopy they wanted to jump, one being a vengeance 120 that would have been loaded at 1.5 with a jumper who had 105 jumps. well they went around me and there other coaches and contacted P.D. directly, with out my knowledge. and P.D. stopped them from getting the canopy by checking references.

Cheers to P.D. for being such an outstanding company, and for being not so money hungry to be able to say NO.

Now this post is funny! EVERYTHING that is said in your post is the exact OPPOSITE of all my experiences with PD. I am always amazed at how helpful everyone is there no matter if it is buying a new canopy or just asking a question. The people at PD have always bent over backwards to help me. Sometimes going WAY above and beyond the call of duty.

So, thank you PD for always being so helpful and for making great products! The customer service you have shown me over the years had been nothing short of amazing!

"No wonder no one likes them."

Thats right, no one likes PD, we just use them for their canopies. Shhh! Don't let the cat out of the bag..........

Um, you can blame PD for everything from Global Warming to the "Flock of Seagulls" reunion tour [:/], I ain't leaving an airplane without a PD reserve on my back.

--
My other ride is a RESERVE.

Where did you get the idea that everyone dislikes them? It seams just the opposite to me.

I have had nothing but good experiences with them. I do not know of anyone that has had anything but good experiences with them. What it seems like to me is, based on your profile, that you probably requested a canopy beyond your skill level, and they refused to send it to you. Now you are bashing them in a public forum as retaliation. If I am wrong, sorry.

I have demoed at least five canopies from their demo program, and as long as they had it in stock, I received it within three days. What other company that you know of gives this kind of service? I never requested a canopy that I may not have been ready for, and if I did, I would not expect them to send it to me without good references testifying to my ability to handle it.

I have also sent in at least three canopies for reline, and have never had problems with their service.

I have talked to them numerous times on the phone and at boogies, and have found them to be nothing but polite and very willing to answer any questions I may have had.

Thanks, PD for doing a great job and making a great product.

Bob Schuyler

If you told them what you were jumping for a reserve, they probably realized that you are loading it almost forty pounds over maximum weight and did not want to chance loaning one of their mains to you.

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Literally every dealing I've ever had with PD has been above and beyond what I would call GREAT customer service. They've even been nice enough to not be mad if accidently kept a demo a weekend too long.

When I called up a few years ago to demo a Stiletto, Kolla didn't want to send it to me due to my low jump numbers. I said, "ok...my S&TA told me I should demo it, would you mind talking to him?" She said "no problem, I'll call the DZ and talk to Todd about it." She then called me back to tell me it would be shipped out to me, but also gave me a very stern warning about the canopy! That was very much appreciated and I can say I'm glad to see that a company like PD has ethics like that! They understand the problem with canopies in skydiving right now and are doing their little bit to help out.

Hell, I even called up Isiah to ask questions about canopy choices and he spent 45 minutes of his day to answer all of my questions and give me a lot of good tips and advice!

So far, PD is one two companies with really great customer service in this industry (the other being Sunrise Rigging), IMO.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

Well, Justin, it must be all your fault. :ph34r: How come whenever there is a customer service issue some how you are involved?:S

Congrats on the new job. Hope everything is going good for you at PD.

Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.