binkster

Performance Designs Bad Attitude

It wont be easy.

I turned a bunch of people away in Eloy looking to demo xfires. I think one of them had 150 jumps. He I asked why he wanted a xfire, he didnt even have an answer. I offered him a safire and he said he would see me the next day.

Never saw him.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

Yea, but I'm finding it harder to laugh about those idiots every day. I lost count of how many femurs I've seen a few years back.

Amen.

I've wondered if it is more nature or nuture that creates jumpers like this?

Most of the people I have met who had accidents had "the attitude" before they jumped, during their student status, and as new jumpers. It's almost like they have no humility in regard to what can happen to them. Most don't seem to realize that the difference between walking away and being taken away is only inches. The "I am better than other people at my level" statement ignores the fact that it is only true under perfect conditions. One other jumper cutting them off on their final and forcing them to downwind or crosswind could be all it takes to get the medivac ride.

Several who started out with "the attitude" have come around with and without femur breaks. Sometimes it's a bad scare that wakes them up. Other times it is the overwhelming advice they keep getting from most of the more experienced jumpers.

I think, in answer to your question, that we try our best to nurture, but their nature is difficult to overcome.

Blues,

Blue skies,

Jim

1 - PD has always been decent to me, as have most skydiving companies and dealers I've dealt with.

2 - Canopy know-it-alls. The best way I've even seen this handled was at a tunnel camp 2 years ago. One of the participants started to tell (the) Shannon Pilcher about how well he flies a canopy, DESPITE his low jump numbers, noting it's always been natural for him and that the 'old timers' keep telling him to take it slow until he gets "more jumps". He wasn't a kid either - in his 50's I believe and opinionated (I recall he talked a lot about how slow other people fall - like everybody he's ever flown with :S).

Shannon didn't ask him how many jumps he had, or what he was currently flying. He simply explained that before downsizing the jumper should be able to execute comfortably a set of canopy manuevers (riser turns, flat turns, half brake landings and so on - it was about 10 or 15 different things). (He did flash a look :S at a couple of us when the jumper wasn't looking, but it wasn't mean, just a "how many times have I heard this" kind of look)

He looked the jumper and asked (not in an acusatory way, just innocently) if the jumper has done all these things on his current canopy. (He hadn't of course) Then said if so, he might be ready to try something more advanced - in small steps. It was a class act and well done.

The point here is, the jumper learned a lesson without being patronized or made to feel he was put under a spot light, or being judged or anything else negative. He just got good information presented in a kind way. So did the rest of us in the room.

The jumper was rather quiet after that on that subject anyway. I think he also had a pretty good camp experience, too.

There is a lot of well intentioned, but still patronizing advice for new and eager canopy pilots here in these forums.

I like the other approach better. And see it here too occasionally.

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Good observations.
Shannon (as well as the other guys on the PD team) have years of experience behind them along with an incredible amount of knowledge flying canopies.

Anyhow.
Binkster, I am truly sorry that you feel we gave you the runaround. It shouldn't happen, and we do try our best to treat our customers with the respect they deserve. At times we fall short of our goals, but we will keep on trying to provide the best service possible, along with the best products we can design and produce.
Should you decide to give us another chance and try a Katana, the demo will be on the house. I might even be talked into buying you a jump so you can take it for a spin :)
I would like to thank you all for your input to this thread. A lot of it has been very positive and we take that as an indicator that we are on the right track. There is always room for improvement though. We count on you guys - the people out there using our products and services - to let us know where we can do better.

That said - I think it's time to put this thread to rest. Put down they keyboards, get off dropzone.com and step away from the computer for a little bit - go out there and have a great weekend jumping and flying canopies!!

Blue Skies - stay safe!!

Kolla Kolbeinsdottir,
Performance Designs, Inc
Blue Skies Magazine

>Besides, nobody cares about Performance Designs canopies anymore.

Other than the skydivers who have made them the #1 canopy supplier, I suppose.

>There are better canopies from better manufacturers.
>Try one of them.

It is good advice to try out different canopies. PD makes good canopies but they are by no means the only suppliers out there. Your best bet is to try a wide variety of canopies (ones you can jump safely, that is) and decide on your own which one you prefer.

Should you decide to give us another chance and try a Katana, the demo will be on the house. I might even be talked into buying you a jump so you can take it for a spin :)

MAN!!!! I should start a thread complaining about PD, it'd get me a free jump and a free demo!

Unfortunately, people would realize that I love my PD canopy and that I'm just doing it because of the money. :D

PD rule got my T-shirt today. Now i feel important or impotent. Who cares, i look cool. Thanks isiah...probably spelt wrong...
http://www.skydivethefarm.com

do you realize that when you critisize people you dont know over the internet, you become part of a growing society of twats? ARE YOU ONE OF THEM?

PD rule got my T-shirt today. Now i feel important or impotent. Who cares, i look cool. Thanks isiah...probably spelt wrong...

LUCKY!! I gave up on ever getting my Sabre2 shirt. Bought 2 brand new Sabre2's and still no shirt. :( But Kolla did give me a funk-a-licious hat in rantoul.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

I have spent several weeks tryin to get a Demo canopy from PD and they have run me in circles. They are the biggest dealer with the worst record of satisfaction. No wonder no one likes them. Maybe they have a decent product but who wants to use a product that is made by a company with no regard to an individuals needs. Tryin to deal with Pd is like tryin to deal with a corporate lawyer. Only that you dont even have a chance at a fair deal.:(

I've been dealing with them since 1989. Always on top of their game IMHO. None better.

You're the customer. Don't like it, go buy something else.

Microline and todays Zero-P are all brain childs of PD as are cross-brace technology and even the shape of the leading edge on most canopies today - the Sabre was the first to incorporate this.

Totally off topic but:

The Sabre was introduced in May 1990. Parachutes De France introduced the Blue Track in late 1989. (Poynter's Manual vol 2)

The Sabre was introduced in May 1990. Parachutes De France introduced the Blue Track in late 1989. (Poynter's Manual vol 2)

What do americans know of PdF ?? :P:P:P They are not sold over there...
scissors beat paper, paper beat rock, rock beat wingsuit - KarlM

I tried to get "on the list" to demo a canopy a while back but they were very nice and stayed in close contact with me...they "rush ordered" my reserve and main with no additional charge and have been very good to me...perhaps this was a rare "hiccup":S..it happens..we're only human.. not perfect:)

I guess Jonathan Tagle won the world cup of canopy piloting after 4 years of skyidiving by not downsizing and pushing the envelope. Im sorry but if I want to go faster I will. It is my choice. I am not being stupid dude. I am getting canopy coaching and my coaches ok'd me for that canopy. Sorry you are reluctant to understand that it really is my choice.

i have coaching with team xaos members and was approved for the canopy by kim from Pd after she checked my stats. Then justin got mad cause i was a little impatient and denied me. I told him he sucked. He we are. Who cares. I told him he was very unprofessional and was gonna put this on dropzone and he laughed so here it is. He kept telling me of his untarnished reputation.