Groundbound

(How) I did it - report for newbies

Just wanted to mention how I made my first jump.
I had scoped out a nearby DZ by asking around, and found out I knew one of the members who was in fact a master rigger working for them. He was extremely generous with his time and I spent an hour+ with him a few days before - asking questions and checking out some of the rigs he had on the table. What a nice guy, I will have to repay him somehow (he doesn't drink or jump now, but any suggestions you have are welcome).
Anyway it settled a lot of questions and I felt much more comfortable when I made the call to arrange a jump on the weekend. I showed up early so I could get the feel of the place, hear some of the banter, see some equipment and also because we get high winds in the afternoon and I didn't want any more variables involved. I already told you how anal I am, there you go.
So I met everyone and tried not to get in the way or look like an ass. My lawyer and I signed the huge release (just kidding about the attorney) and watched the helpful video. I got a suit and goggles and we put on my harness. Lots of joking around but also lots of support and helpful suggestions. By now I am getting pretty fidgety about the whole idea but I am determined. So we hop into the aircraft for some more explanations about what is expected of me, and how to avoid screwing up. I am getting pretty nervous, and you can see it on the video if you know me. All aboard, and up we go in the ragged-out Cessna (no surprise, they are not exactly 'haute couture' travel machines, they are workhorses). The guys (instructor, two camera-men) are very upbeat and realize that I must feel I am going to my certain ugly death, so they encourage and support me. What a job tandem instructors have - trying to keep us both alive, AND babysit, hand-hold us wussies; jeez.
When you reach altitude (pretty cold!; not much O2) my nervousness has peaked, I am panting, and my muscles were barely responding, but somehow I crawled to the door hooked up to my instructor. My view of the world around me was somewhat dizzy - the old brown carpet, the strut, the cameramen, the pilot seat, the step, THE FRIGGING HARD GROUND - A MILLION MILES DOWN, it was all a bit of a blur at this point. Cripes, Sensory Overload before even out the door, what a baby!
Anyway we got on the step, instructor talking all the time, and seated on the door ledge. Now the wind blast is furious, much noisier. I guess they don't see a lot of point in wasting time at the doorway so we do the ReadySetGo and gently fall off into nothingness. I am sure at this point my heartrate was oh, 180 or so. In the video I believe my eyes are closed for a short while, probably a self-preservation instinct. It just feels like nothing else I have ever imagined or experienced. Extreme anxiety combined with shocking visuals. Falling from the very high diving board the first time as an 8yo only begins to touch on it. Here you are slapping the face of a well-ingrained reflex that has kept you safe for years and has become a part of your permanent memory. Its harder for us older guys I think. We have more years of 'solid ground is safe' burned into our cerebellum. And we have to overcome it to succeed at this. Anyway, back to the jump. We tumbled as we left the airplane. First we moved head-down, even though I had my arms out as instructed, and then we did a half roll to the right. There were a few more oscillations in roll and pitch until we stabilized and I remembered to tuck my legs. Finally we had enough vertical speed for the air resistance to give a solid feel, for us to have stability in the fluid around us - maybe 5 seconds. Then we free-fell, all smiles and thumbs-up as I felt the worst was over and it was time to have fun. I eagerly checked out the view, watched the cameraman in front of us, remembered to watch the arch, looked for the airport. Don't remember seeing either the airplane or the other cameraman. Finally I got the pull signal (already?!) and yanked the cord with glee. Some snapping noise and a pulling in the crotch as we were stood upright. Much quieter and my instructor says, "Look, look how fast they move out of sight!", pointing to the two tiny dots that the cameramen become below us, there - they have two good chutes too. We hook my hands into the steering handles and he shows me how to turn, we practice a couple of landing postures/flares and steer towards the pattern. Pretty steep approach for what I'm used to as a pilot. Lots of highwires, pipes, fences, cactus, buildings down there! Anyway, the ground rushes up and we swoop towards the helpers. PULL! and we flare nicely on the target, fall to one side.
We disconnect and arms pull me to my feet - I am rubber-limbs and pale. I feel a great bond to my instructor who has spared my life, put up with the burden of carrying me; I thank him with an embrace.
He is exuberant about the jump and praises my performance although I know mediocre is all my part was!
I spend the rest of the day reliving it, feeling out of body, giddy. I finally settle down that evening but not til after a stiff drink. I DID IT!! God, do I want to go again!

as I felt the worst was over

Now that you have jumped once, the worst is over forever... The next step is even more fun, learning how to fly your own body.

Haha! I was more scared on my second jump than my first - reckon my mind knew what was going to happen!

Great write up dude, only just finished my AFF - you've captured the feeling well :)

Congrats on your first jump! Welcome to the world of skydiving! I know it is a surreal experience with so much going on! Like everyone says, get back up there, it only gets better! You said your an older guy? Compared to who? How old are you?

Muff Brother 3723

LOL Great story, took my right back to when I did it!

I closed my eyes for a moment too when I rolled out the door on my first tandem. It really is an overwhelming experience. But, it's worth it, aye?

Sounds like you did OK. I'm glad B|

If your going to pursue AFF, I highly suggest some tunnel time first. 10-20 mins should be plenty.

Cheers