arni999

Freefall Backache?

Hi all, i did my RAPS course in late 2003 and managed to do 5 jumps. Unfortunately, on the fifth jump i landed very badly a tore a ligament in my ankle. I haven't been back since as it put me off (for a while anyway) B|

I'm now booked in for AFF level 1 in 3 weeks and i literally cannot wait. Im so excited that i'm reading all the info i can possibly find on the net (especially this website). I was reading some AFF course material that describes in detail the jump procedures for each level and decided to practice them (on my bedroom floor :$ ). The theory being that it will help when it comes to the actual jump. Now, this may sound like a really stupid question BUT, when in freefall, does it hurt your back and shoulders? My reason for asking is that when i practice them on my floor, my back and shoulders hurt like hell (kind of a muscular pain).

The biggest problems seem to be the dummy RP's and holding my neck really far back. Is this purely because i'm practicing on my floor, obviously as there is a solid mass beneath me, or does it also hurt your back when doing the real thing?

I know this probably sounds really stupid, especially lying on my floor pretending to be in freefall! LOL BUT, its a problem none the less that is really bugging me.

Any help on this topic will be much appreciated.

Cheers
Mikey B|

Mikey
------------------------------------------
Fear Is Weakness Leaving Your Body

I find it very much harder to arch on the ground than in the air. In the air, if I arch with 100% effort my back hurts a little, other than that it's fine.

Actually, I think it's more important to be able to do a good PLF forwards, sideways, and backwards before starting AFF.

Cheers

No, this wont (or shouldn't) happen in freefall. When you are practicing on the floor your back, neck..etc muscles have to put a lot of effort in to get the arch and all your weight is placed on your abdomen, but in freefall the air pressure supports your entire body and you simply relax into the arch so your back muscles do very little work. Some people recommend laying on your back on one of those beachball things that gyms have as this is a closer representation of what you feel in FF than what you are trying now.

When I graduated static line, for the first few freefall jumps I found that I had a sore back but discovered that I was trying too hard to get a big arch. When I just relaxed and when with the flow it all came together and the pain went and my stability and control increased dramatically.

first few freefall jumps I found that I had a sore back but discovered that I was trying too hard to get a big arch. When I just relaxed and when with the flow it all came together and the pain went and my stability and control increased dramatically.

I would agree completly, when I did my first jumps, I arched really hard, and my shoulders, back, neck, butt, everything hurt. I was very tense out of the door, but after a few more jumps (and a little tunnel time) I learned to relax into my arch. I use to practice on the floor too, and Yes it does hurt your body. My suggestion, if you want to practice...do half your body at a time. Practice leg position, without doing a full arch, use a chair/couch to simulate what it feels like to have air pressure on your toes. Then do the top half of your body, arm position, and turns, then put them together in the sky (practicing on the ground is just to build muscle memory)

Muff Brother 3723

Cheers for all of the advice. I was thinking for a while that it was just me.

I'll start practicing again now! hehe

Less than 3 weeks now and i can't stop thinking about it. I remember how good it felt before when i was doing static line, and that was without any freefall. I think it's gonna blow my mind. (or at least i hope). haha B|

Thanks again
Mikey

Mikey

Do it in a 5 foot or so deep swimming pool. Assume a freefall position and exhale ALL air. You will "freefall"/sink to the bottom. You will know if your arch is good - only a part of your belly should be touching a bottom. Alternatively, you can also hold the swimming pool ladder/stairs in your hands when doing it.

You need a lot of muscle to arch on the ground, but half as much muscle to arch in the air.
A good freefall arch is more like laying face down in a hammock: relax all the muscles on the front of your body with just a little tension in the muscles on the back (down wind) parts of your body.

Do it in a 5 foot or so deep swimming pool. Assume a freefall position and exhale ALL air. You will "freefall"/sink to the bottom. You will know if your arch is good - only a part of your belly should be touching a bottom. Alternatively, you can also hold the swimming pool ladder/stairs in your hands when doing it.

I have to say, the theory behind this one seems good. I'm not sure what the lifeguards will make of someone in the deep end of the pool though - face down, arms and legs wide, sinking to the bottom! [:/] I think they'd be jumping in to save me, thinking that i was drowning!! I can just see their faces too when i tell them that i'm actually fine and just practicing my skydiving freefall technique. The words men, white coats and mental asylum spring to mind! :P

Mikey

Mikey