hottuna

Jumping without an ACL???

I tore my ACL a few weeks ago and am very upset that it happened just before the season gets started here in the north. I'm wondering if there is anyone out there that jumps without an ACL. I've heard mixed messages about how active one can be without an ACL. I'm wondering if I should just jump this season without it and get it repaired next winter or if I should have the surgery now and blow this whole season. I have 117 jumps right now (112 all done last season). Anyone out there have a similar experience?[:/]

I have horrible knees but my ACL is intact. I would see a surgon and ask them. The ACL repairs can be done quickly (4-6 weeks recovery time) since they do them orthoscopically now. I know that may reduce your season, but you need to evaluate your options.

What you dont want to do is make the injury worse or devolpe significant scar tissue your knee (your body will try and heal itself) making the matter worse.

Good Luck and if you do decide to jump and wait for repairs make sure you get a knee brace to prevent further damage.

Phil

Fire Safety Tip: Don't fry bacon while naked

Hi hottuna -- Disclaimer: I'm not a physician. Having ACL reconstruction on both knees. however, has led me to learn some about ACL injuries. My understanding is that reconstruction of the ACL is not required in all cases. It depends on the nature of the injury (esp. amount of "collateral damage" to other parts of the knee), your age, and the kind of activities you want to pursue.

That said, if you forego surgery it will be necessary to compensate for the missing ACL support by vigorously strengthening the surrounding muscles. This takes time and must be done before you consider jumping. Initially, a torn ACL will usually result in considerable instability that can flare up even when just walking. Don't rush this process.

Following my second ACL tear about 2 years ago, I delayed surgery in favor of physical therapy and a brace. It worked pretty well and I was able to jump about 6 months after the injury. But my recovery sort of leveled off at about 90% of where I wanted to be and I went ahead with the surgery a couple of months ago. I plan to be back in the air in May.

In both of my cases, the surgery has been very successful. Best wishes whatever you decide to do.

PrairieDoug,

where did your new acl's come from? hamstring? patella? is recovery time quicker with one over the other?

There is another option that one of my friends had on her 2nd or 3rd ACL surgery, a cadaver doner.
Fly it like you stole it!

PrairieDoug,

where did your new acl's come from? hamstring? patella? is recovery time quicker with one over the other?

There is another option that one of my friends had on her 2nd or 3rd ACL surgery, a cadaver doner.

From what I hear this is the fastest healing. I had mine done in 93' using hamstring.
She is not a "Dumb Blonde" - She is a "Light-Haired Detour Off The Information Superhighway."
eeneR
TF#72, FB#4130, Incauto

I had a complete tear of my ACL in July and had Surgery in October. I am still recovering from the surgery. Recovery times will vary depending on a partial or complete tear. For a complete tear do not expect anything less than several months of intense work outs for recovery. My doctor gave me 2 choices surgery and no surgery. He said you can get by without surgery as long as 1) you haven't torn your meniscus; 2) you have really strong leg muscles around the knee. Surgery was the other option and the one I went with. Given the possibility of hard landing I did not want to risk jumping without the extra protection the ACL offers. Tearing one ligament hurt enough I did not want to destroy the meniscus or any other ligaments and risk further injury resulting in long term affects (arthritis).

As for braces... You can buy some braces that will protect your knee somewhat, but they cost around $1200. And my doctor said they really don't help all that much. Only strong muscles really help. Although I have had friends that have jumped with them.

As for surgery you have three options petalla, hamstring, or cadaver. Hamstring is what is recommended these days. As was told to me, taking the patella tendon requires taking a piece of bone from the knee, which weakens the knee somewhat. With the hamstring and cadaver your doctor can use bio-absorbable screws. My doctor recommended using my own hamstring rather than a cadaver tendon and that is what I chose.

I haven't jumped since July and it sucks. I still have a few more months before I am 100%. However, I didn't want to screw up my knee any worse and have to take additional time off.

PrairieDoug, where did your new acl's come from? hamstring? patella? is recovery time quicker with one over the other?

Both my surgeries were done using an "allograft" (donor tissue). This provides for a faster recovery because there is no additional cutting to harvest the ligament. I was told that an allograft is not quite as strong as an autograft (self-donated tissue), but is still much stronger than the original (pre-injury) ACL.

Thanks for all your advice. I probably won't jump before surgery as I'm really afraid of doing more damage. I guess I was just looking for some way of saving this season! It is going to be really hard to sit at the DZ this summer watching my husband and all my friends jump without me! Grrr...I'll have to do some serious refresher jumps when I do get back...and under a great big student canopy till I know I can land my new knee safely! So much for that brand new rig I just bought that I only got to jump once!

I tore my ACL on a bad landing back in April 1994 and went to a doctor for a brace. I jumped all summer on it with the brace and then in September I had surgery (patella tendon). I was off it after the surgery for 4 months, then jumped with the brace when I started back up. After a while I stopped using the brace.

The knee is still just fine, and it now is my stronger knee, with the "new" ACL. At that stage in my skydiving career, not jumping was simply not an option. I was way too hooked to stop, but I didn't want to make it worse. The brace was all I needed to keep me in the air.

DJan

I tore my ACL some years ago and was jumping within a month. I found it really depends on how good your landings are as well as how good your strength is in your legs. If you can consistantly stand up your landings and have good muscle built up, I think you should be fine. Talkto your Doctor AND your instructors.

The lack of an ACL will make your leg unstable so muscle tone is the key factor. You may have lost alot of tone following the accident.

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

I had the hamstring graft for a torn ACL about 2 years ago. Took about 6 months of recovery with pretty heavy PT to get back in the air. I've been skiing on it for the last 2 seasons without a brace, something I was afraid would never happen.

From what I understand, it's the bone growing back in around the new "ligament" that is the limiting factor for shock loads (like a hard landing). Take your time with recovery but find a good surgeon now - I saw a few botched ACL replacements during PT that made me glad I did. Look for a doc that specializes in sports medicine, they'll have a lot better understanding of your goals.

Lance

Yeah I had just bought my second rig and only had 6 jumps on it when the accident happened.

If you are going to be at the DZ all summer look into packing or manifesting. It will make the time go by quicker and you will be able to save a ton of money for next season.

Also I forgot to mention, begin strengthening your leg muscles ASAP. The stronger your legs are before surgery the faster you will recover. Talk to your doctor and see if he/she will give you a list of exercises to do.

I myself have just had surgery after originally injuring my knee in 1999. I "survived" until Feb this year without surgery but on the 15 went under the knife and I am presently recovering. Am bummed about not being able to jump but I would rather this than breaking my leg - in the end my torn ACL caused me to put a nice little bucket handle tear in my meniscus - this can cause knee lock and I didn't think that was a real good idea when running out a landing! ;) And to add to the problem my other knee was getting a battering as I was trying to protect my injured knee.

I think there is a common theme. Listen to your dr - but make sure s/he's a good one. Keep you muscle strength up - that was part of my downfall (I did the meniscus when I stopped going to the gym as I moved and then went and played soccer - very silly!). My other piece of advice is either protect your knee always or get the surgery done before your hurt your meniscus. My doctor ended up stiching mine up and it's looking like it will be fine - but there is always the chance that it could pop out again and I will need further surgery to cut that bit off.

I probably won't be back jumping for a while yet. I'm not getting the surgery again - so I'm not going to start jumping again before I am well an truely ready.

P.S Can't wait till I can play frisbee again - even heard my knee go crack one day because I jumped for a frisbee and landed in a world of pain - b/f thought the crack was from me breaking my leg! :S

Best of luck with your decision. It's a hard one I know!