Antidote

How often do you pack yourself?

So far I have packed for myself every jump since I got my own gear.

Same here. Actually, I packed my last few jumps on student gear, too.

My main premise is that I do not want to kick back and relax while someone else packs for me until I am really good, quick, efficient. I already get good deployments, but only recently have I been having an actual relatively easy time getting my main into its d-bag. The last four weeks have been sort of an awakening for me, things coming together. :)
Also, I don't mind saving money. No sense in making my jumps 25% more expensive! The gas to get to the DZ is already almost 100% more than it used to be! >:(

And finally, I prefer to be in full control of all my gear and what happens with it. I'd like to become a rigger some day, too, so I can do my own reserve and round out the whole package. :)
-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

There's only three people I trust to pack my 'chute and I am one of them...The other two I supervised the first 2-3 packs before I turned them loose and I use them when:

- I'm in a rush
- I'm tired
- There's a hottie I am chattin' up.

:D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I always pack myself. I had some packers pack for me at the freefall convention a few years ago, and I got slammed on many openings. Now I really don't trust anyone else to do it.

I'm constantly developing an understanding and even a harmony with my canopy - knowing that if I do this little thing when I pack, it makes a big difference on how soft the opening is, where if I do this other little thing, it makes a big difference on the direction of opening, if I do this third thing, I can get it to open faster or slower, et al.

Asking someone else to pack for me is like asking someone else to dance with my girlfriend - I may not always LIKE to do it, but I feel like I can do it better than anyone else, because I've done it more than anyone else.

It's not about money either - if I could clone myself I would pay me $5 to pack every time. Heck, I would probably pay $10. It's really about the intimacy with the equipment, the necessity of me doing the job right, and having only one person to blame if something goes wrong.

I'm sure at some point in the future, I'll feel too rushed or tired to pack for myself, and have others pack for me. But for the time being, I'm happy to do it myself.
Trapped on the surface of a sphere. XKCD