willso

Flipper

Need some advice and/or experiences from anyone out there who has had problems with flipping on ur dive exits!!! I've only done 5 and every time I flipped over, which I don't mind so much, but I'd like to nail one. My main concern is I'm doing stage 9 of AFF (hop n pops) which is from 5000, 4000 and 3000 here (Australia). Flipped, recovered but passed the one at 5', flipped and took waaaaay too long at 4' and have to repeat that before doing the one at 3'!!!!

I have had plenty of advice from legs up ur bum, to arms more out, to arch harder, to keep ur head up etc etc etc!! I ended up flailing around a bit and on my back (which I have never done before)?? on the 4' hop n pop, but recovered and pulled at a reasonable height.

I am a bit concerned about the LAST TWO jumps of AFF and it is costing $$$$$ with every fail. I feel fine at the skyvan door and have no hesitation actually getting out??

Any advice out there??

Willso :):)

I have had plenty of advice from legs up ur bum, to arms more out, to arch harder, to keep ur head up etc etc etc!!

It sounds like you are receiving good advice.

It is possible that you are not coming out with a downward attitude, but perhaps you are diving straight out. This might cause you to barrel roll to the left and end up on your back.

Get video of your exit and review it. What you think you are doing may be different from what you are doing.

Many people will flip over because their orientation to the horizon is so steep, or even past vertical that they give up on flying their body.

You must convince your mind to ignore the orientation to the horizon, and realize that you are barely tracking relative to the air if you dive out and go past vertical. When you are able to realize that you can fly the exit like this, then you will be successful.

Also, it helps if you have more confidence than is justified. :D
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

Have your instructors explained "relative wind" to you so that it makes sense? This concept is primary to making a stable diving exit. It's easier to demostrate in person, but basically it means that, upon exit, you're not falling straight down at 120 mph, but falling across the sky at about 90-100 mph. Straihgt down is not towards the planet, but towards the forward horizon. That's where yur stomach should be pointing.

When you do a head high exit from a plane, there's not much change from standing in the door to being stable, head high, on the relative wind, a shift of maybe 30-40 degrees froward from standing straight up. The fact that we lean forward on many exits makes that change in pitch much less. A diving exit make us need to pitch downward, maybe 120 degrees or more, 3 times the rate, to be flat and stable on the relative wind. This faster pitch rate makes it very easy to overrotate, or "flip over".

Like a hitting any target, you need to know what you're aiming for. Have an instructor describe and demonstrate the proper exit and body angle for a diving exit from your type aircraft. Then visualize and aim for that pitch angle out the door. If you don't "aim" to be stable, you probably won't hit the "target" body position. I used to imagine diving headfirst down a big kid's slide. Worked for me. I've been able to do diving exits from as low as 1200 feet, no problem.

;) Thank you for the advice did not get to read these until after I nailed my 3000 and 4000ft hop and pops today. Ended up being my legs were not bent up my arse as they should have been and was not looking at the horizon which caused me to flip. After receiving advise off other jumpers at the my DZ I had two as what was described as perfect dive exits and clean pulls. Bring on B Rels!!!

Blue Skies
Willso B|B|

Right on brother! I had problems with that as well. What are you jumping out of? I did my hop & pops out of a C182. I solved my problem mostly by relaxing (sounds crazy) more on exit and imagining flying head up along side of the plane on exit. In stead of worrying about making myself get belly to earth, I just made a big X and let it happen. I let gravity do the work.