RkyMtnHigh

BEWARE!!!! BEWARE!!!! The Media is very much HERE on our website!!!

Since you own the rights to what you post, it's against the law for someone else to copy what you write without your permission.

Really?

(sorry, couldn't resist)

Reporters tend to be very conservative when it comes to copyright, because they know that their newspapers could face a lawsuit if they were to break copyright laws.

That's fine and dandy, but then we're simply relying on the ethics of a reporter. Honestly, I like the idea to have a well defined copywrite policy that you have to click through to get a username and doing away with being able to read anything other then thread titles without having a username and logging in.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

That's fine and dandy, but then we're simply relying on the ethics of a reporter. Honestly, I like the idea to have a well defined copywrite policy that you have to click through to get a username and doing away with being able to read anything other then thread titles without having a username and logging in.

The DZ.com user agreements is pretty explicit that the poster retains all ownership, but HH is granted a few priveleges.

A reporter who quoted someone from their posts without permission would be breaking the law, and the reporter would understand that.

Whether you're able to do anything about it is another issue.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Whether you're able to do anything about it is another issue.

I guess you can say that I don't trust reporters and don't trust their ethics. Not since dealing with them close in and close to home in 1999.[:/]

They basically have no ethics and no thoughts for what they are reporting, only trying to push the pain deeper in those effected and push information out to the public in whatever light and slant they feel suits them best.

A reporter who quoted someone from their posts without permission would be breaking the law

Not to be a snit (well, more of a snit than usual), but your statement simply isn't true and most reporters would know this by virtue of their training. Google 17 U.S.C. 107, which provides in relevant part:

"Notwithstanding the provisions of sections 106 and 106A, the fair use of a copyrighted work, including such use by reproduction in copies or phonorecords or by any other means specified by that section, for purposes such as criticism, comment, news reporting, teaching (including multiple copies for classroom use), scholarship, or research, is not an infringement of copyright..." [emphasis added]

That should give you some direction. ;) It just so happens that I have undertaken a bit more effort in the copyright field than to stay at a Holiday Inn last night B|

D. James Nahikian
CHICAGO

edited for clarification

James, would that be considered "fair use"?

I was wondering about that...I am not a lawyer, and I didn't even stay at a Holiday Inn, but because I've done a fair amount of writing both here and elsewhere, if it is newsworthy, fair use comes into play as I understand it.

How does one protect themselves from being taken out of context during a fair use lift, I wonder?

And not all media are bad. There are some real, honest, good people who do understand the impact of their story, and will treat it with respect. And yes, there are some schlumps floating around, as well.

Difficult subject at a difficult time.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

You guys seems to have cynical fear of media.

It seems that if you've been through what I've been through with the media (including very respected national news outlets), you would have a similar opinion.

Now, how about you fill in some profile or are you simply a reporter who recently logged onto DZ.com to get data that can be twisted into what you want it to say?

You guys seems to have cynical fear of media.

Cynical? Perhaps.

Fear? No.

I don't have a whole lot of experience, but I've seen what the media has done to this sport. It paints us all as daredevil, thrillseeking, wild humans, who don't care about things. The media has stated things over-simplistically in many instances, insulting both the skydiving community as well as the media's viewers/readers. Generally, when I've read about an incident, it's simply "the chute didn't open." Most of the time, that's incorrect. It's not too hard to articulate what really did happen, but then, the media couldn't use the words "plummet," or "daredevil," and would actually have to learn a little bit about this sport we love. It's not too hard to get the accurate information, but don't sensationalize it; that does no one any good.

Generally, we are speaking about the death of a loved one, or two, or desparate injuries. We are speaking of lost family, and how to support their families, fill their needs, love them and help them through a most difficult time. And to have emblazoned across the front page inaccuracies and trite, worn, cliche-ridden 'grafs when the facts are easily understood and articulated tends to create cynicism for this tight community.

So cynical, yes...fearful, no.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

Stephen Hudak can be reached at 386-851-7915 or [email protected]

And Stephan Hudak SHOULD be reached. That was a wonderful, educated, non-judgmental article.

Kudos for taking the time and doing the research.

I just called him...wanted to hear what he thought, journalist to journalist. He said he didn't even know what to ask when he started the story, so he just listened. He also told me that after reading the police report, listening to the people at the DZ give eyewitness accounts and listening to the stories about Gus, he thought it was better to focus on Gus because, in his words, "...it sounded like this was a wonderful person that everyone thought the world of and I wanted to focus on that."

He then proceded to ask me if he was too old to make a tandem jump. :)

I found Stephen Hudak to be warm & friendly, although he did misquote me on the "always with a camera in hand" thing.. but there are worse things to misquote, FOR SURE!

He listened well, seemed to share the loss in a way of his own, also seemed interested in making his own skydive and I told him that Gus would've encouraged that!

It was good to add to the common sentiment.. it's seems awfully hard to say something bad about someone who was loved so much by so many.

I did turn down subsequent requests from NBC etc... it was getting out of hand here too.. but still glad I participated in what little way I could.

Don't be afraid.. be guarded, be careful.. but don't live in fear of ANYONE.

Pink Suits, Blue Skies & Fast Tunnels
Dawn Suiter