ChrisL

What does this mean?

Jumpers who are cleared to self-jumpmaster that are not acting in an instructor capacity. Even if you're an AFF-I, if you're doing a fun jump at the time, you're an up jumper.

At least, that's my interpretation. We tend to refer to "up jumper loads" as ones with no students, AFF or tandem.

I've heard it too.

I've taken it's context to be jumpers who are off student status, but are not yet at the Instructional level.

I doubt anyone will be able to tell you WHY they're called "Up Jumpers."

t
It's the year of the Pig.

I doubt anyone will be able to tell you WHY they're called "Up Jumpers."

Because they go all the way up. :D

That was the term used for anyone off student status regardless of jump numbers when/where I started jumping. No one there knew why either.

So could it be an abreviation of the term "Up and coming?"

I don't think so, I really think my theory about SL students is where it came from. Although tracking this one down will be like trying to track down the BSBD and where it started, I believe.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I think some of you guys are giving this WAY too much thought and effort!B| My head hurts... I think I'll go lay down now!:(

Blue 111-
Jeff

"When I die, I want to go like my grandmother, who died peacefully in her sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in her car."

My theory for the origin is the student jumpers who were on SL and had reached the point of doing full altitude loads insted of 5, 10, 15 second delays.

Hi AD

I agree:o partly.:D We went thru the standard S/L progression " way back in day" when that was all there was and never heard the term "up jumper".

The first time we heard it was when we were jumping with a military jump club 1990 and they used it to differentiate sp?:$ between the folks getting out low (sl progression) and the ones going "all the way". So I'm guessing it started with the 4 letter word ARMY.

there's some kind of a connection betwwen skydiving and the military I just can't remember exactly what it was[:/] Nappy poo time:)

R.I.P.

I think some of you guys are giving this WAY too much thought and effort!B| My head hurts... I think I'll go lay down now!:(

Very true...but nothing better to do on a rainy Saturday so might as well reply since I heard that exact phrase.... Took my gear to Hawaii one vacation and went to Dillingham airfield to jump. Manifest began to explain all the tandem info... I explained I had my own gear etc... The response was a very surprised "OH, your an up-jumper huh?". (licensed vs. tandem, AFF...their primary core customers on vacation) P.S. what a view!

I think some of you guys are giving this WAY too much thought and effort!B|

Wow.. no kidding :)
Fun jumpers and up jumpers are the same thing.

What it's called depends on the DZ.
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I agree with Skybytch. My explanation just got too long.

We use "fun jumper" and "up jumper" interchangably. But clearly, the definition varies by location. :D

my speculation is that "up" comes from "pick up" because for the most part "up jumpers" will not be 'driving' the loads, but instead picking up slots on loads driven by tandems, students and team training...