brothermuff65

gus wing

It was a very sad weekend.We knew gus back when the Virginia Parachute Council was getting started.I had the chance to see gus several many places across the country and my trips to Deland.We lost one of the the best.My sincere thoughts go out to all his family and very close friends!rabbit

Just a heads up - I heard through the grapevine that they are going to be discussing this on the Today show and will have apperances by witnesses. Thats what I heard. Im off to school and work so I will miss it. ;(

Derek

Just watched it... Tivo got it for me...

Two tandem students who were on the load were interviewed. They did a very good job representing the sport and representing Gus for people with little experience...

The final question. Would you jump again? The guy said yes, he plans to. The Girl said, No, but it had nothing to do with the accident, it was just her goal to do it once.

I guess that sums up our community as a whole...

This website was never mentioned by name, however they did show the www.guswing.com website and that site has this website's logo. They also said the incident was being discussed heavily on internet discussion forums.

Tragic incident, but at least the Today show was respectful. Not one "sport death" comment... They did ask about the "risks" - but in a fair way.

I loved that song. It used to make me happy. Now I'm freakin' crying when I heard that song. That's a damm great song. It's so perfect for Gus. I'm gonna miss ya buddy! I met Gus a couple times at Deland. I got to fly with him twice. I remember one day when it was windy, and I got backed up under my canopy, he was telling me that a friend of his died because he jumped on a very windy and gusty day. He told me "If you want to live long in this sport, you gotta know when to stay on the ground". Darn Gus! Who would have known that his adage would be my cardinal rule that I stick to till this day. You're the best there ever was Gus! I'm angry and sad at the same time! Thank you for having such a positive impact on my life man! I'm glad that I got to meet you. I'm glad that you inspired me. I'm glad that I got to fly with you. Rest in peace buddy. I will never forget your words of wisdom and everything that you taught me. See you soon Gus!

What's the most you ever lost in a coin toss, Friendo?

ALL of the pilots in DeLand are some of the finest jump pilots anywhere in the world

So who has the "right of way" then? The pilot that has no engines and is gliding to earth?, or the the pilot with 2 turbines and a couple of tons of weight combined with a lot of speed?

I would say that the canopy has right of way in the same way that a pedestrian has the right of way when crossing the street. If I get hit by a car, it would be the motorist's fault.

People keep using our skydiving activities to justify that there is no one to blame. I don't appreciate this attitude. Someone is always to blame when somthing this horrific happens.

Just because we jump out of airplanes doesn't mean we are open targets for negligent pilots. (I'm not saying this pilot was negligent) but there have been a lot of near misses in our sport because of complacent aircraft pilots.

As skydivers, we do have rights and I will stand up for these rights even if you don't think that you deserve them.

he allways laughed at me cause i couldn't freefall very well (especially during cutaway), but he did it in a way that made me laugh too.

i once had a few too many with him and bit his belly-button and left a scar (he bled a little) but it was fun.

he could hook-throw a basketball like nobody's business

i'll never forget his final round during sport accuracy --he just glided perfectly 5 foot off the ground for a hundred feet and placed a dead-center with a big shit-eatin grin on his face to take 1st place!

he is a good man --never saw him cross anyone. what a talent in the air though, absolutly great. i liked his comments on survival in video i saw long time ago.

i like gus a lot

My prayers to Gus, his family, and the rest of the people at Deland...

My sentiments exactly. I didn't know him but my heart goes out to his family and friends and all Delanders...special prayer for the pilot.
Blue skies always---April

Camelot II, the Electric Boogaloo!

I can't express the sinking feeling in my heart with words when I heard about this.

I don't know what else to say. I wish we could be in Deland to give all our friends there a huge hug and to share their tears. You all are in our thoughts.

Well put. He was an amazing person and we already miss him terribly. What a loss. Our thoughts and prayers are with you all.

Don & Darlene Kellner

I am incredibly saddened by the news. I met Gus at Deland during my AFF instruction and subsequent trips to Deland. He always stood out from the crowd with his funny (and highly intelligent remarks). He was a Very Special man, and I will miss him dearly.

My prayers and thoughts go out to his family,

Jorge A. Linares

Very sad news.

I'm very gratefull that Gus was one of the first people I encountered when I started in this sport. He shot 110% video for my AFF and shared gentle wisdom on the ground.

Thank you Gus. Blue Skies...
https://www.burblesoftware.com

i think one of my faverite memories of gus actually came in a video of the muff brothers 40 way team and the easter boogie at zhills made by mike mcgowan and the part was gus comeing out of a porta john and takeing a bow , and the music on that part was a very fitting ( don,t worry be happy ) and that was so much GUS and what he was all about . ( don,t worry be happy ) you will be sorely missed .
till later have fun & love each other seeya mb65johnny gates

Someone is always to blame when somthing this horrific happens.

It's my job to argue about and assign blame. I get paid to do it every day. A lot of money and guilt change hands as a result.

As unpalatable as this may seem, sometimes shit just happens. I don't know if this is the case here... but it is most certainly not true to say that someone is always to blame.

My comments snipped from guswing.com :

Wild man, gentleman, artist, innovator, lover of life, and friend; he was all of these and so much more. Gus was one of a kind, for sure, and there will be no other like him. My wife and I are fortunate to have had Gus touch our lives over the years.

Lydia, we love you and you are in our thoughts continuously. Gus was the luckiest man in the world and his life became so much better after he heard you utter the question, "Could I have ten minutes of your time?" You completed him and stretched ten minutes into a lifetime of love.

Bill, you are loved, admired and respected by more people than you may have imagined. Our thoughts are with you as well. You are also one of a kind and one of the "good ones" just like Gus. Stay strong and feed on the love and energy we all feel for you. My life continues to be enriched by having you and Lydia as my friends.

There is a deep hole in the sport and in my heart. I'm going to miss Gus' smile, unmistakable laugh, sly wit, firm handshake, and presence on the drop zone. Most of all, I'm going to miss my friend.

Mikey Darden