brothermuff65

gus wing

way more diplomatic than I would have said it.

People forget that it's about a person...until it's their person.

Both of these guys are people that I've known and worked with and said "love you" to. Gus was always kind to me--and it isn't just anyone who is always nice to the manifestor, especially when she screws up--and Bill...well, he's a real curmudgeon, but somehow, the same was true for him. They're both really wonderful people, and this is a horrible thing. My heart is broken--for them and Lydia and all of us--but I can understand someone trying to understand, even if the effort inadvertantly brings hurt.

As Julia would say, "love and light" to you all.

rl
If you don't know where you're going, you should know where you came from. Gullah Proverb

Damn that sucks.. Say hi to everyone for me Gus . Guess the Lord needed a great Video man for the big way. You will be missed

First of all, to Gus's friends and family. A huge hug and condolences for such a great loss.

I don't know Gus, but in reading the post above I felt the need to get to know who this man was. I wasn't able to find his profile on dz.com, so I went to rec.skydiving to ferret out a little about him.

Here is what the search netted me.

Particularly poignant was a rant by Martin Evans back in the year 2000.

" Gus Wing gives daily lectures at Deland on landing technique (or lack there of). it's the same attitude that I was brought up`in the sport with! I would hazard a guess that Gus is as sick, if not more so, as I am of seeing friends and fellow jumpers die needlessly!"

BSBD, Gus. I wish I could have met you.

ltdiver

Don't tell me the sky's the limit when there are footprints on the moon

Damn.... My team trained at DeLand 2003/2004; Gus always had time to talk to anyone, in this case me; he didn't need to know who you were. Listening to his stories of early skysurf camera and Grand Canyon jumps and you soon realise the history he has personnally added to the sport.

BSBD

Ivan
"If you can keep your head when all around you have lost theirs, then you probably haven't understood the seriousness of the situation."
David Brent

***The Central Florida news keeps reporting that Gus is in stable condition and alive. That was reported at 5pm florida time. Someone better make sure before a whole lot of people are terribly upset without reason. ***

I kept hoping it was a repeat of the death of Manley Butler, but it isn't and News 13 finally caught up about 20 minutes ago.

He's gone. Really gone. But I wish he weren't.

I've known Gus since before I started jumping. Met him while working at Flyaway in TN in 1990. He has always been concerned about safety and caution. He rightfully scolded me a few times. This is just very hard to accept with the experience both the pilot and Gus have. I've got a lot of good memories from being around Gus. Blue Skies buddy.

T. Bowen

Gus videoed me several times since my first tandem a year ago to my girlfriends tandem 6 months ago. He was a great man. I was very kind and soft-spoken. I got the chills this morning at the DZ when we heard who it was and how it happened. I have just heard the news that he died and I have shed a tear. He is going to be missed at the DZ. Is anybody going to be at the DZ tomorrow, Sunday, so we can maybe do a BIG WAY for a BIG-HEARTED GUS out of the sky van. Brett Hilliard

Blue ones, Gus . . . the sport is a lessor place today . . .

>>so I went to rec.skydiving to ferret out a little about him.<<

Yikes, :o if this is how people in the future learn about us, we (the old-timers) are doomed . . .

Please, when my time comes, find someone who really knew me.

NickD
BASE 194

Blue ones, Gus . . . the sport is a lessor place today . . .

>>so I went to rec.skydiving to ferret out a little about him.<<

Yikes, :o if this is how people in the future learn about us, we (the old-timers) are doomed . . .

Please, when my time comes, find someone who really knew me.

NickD
BASE 194

But the truth would be so awfull.......Wouldn't the lies and stories be better? That's what I want when it's my time. Just kidding Nick. I never really knew Guss but i've met him
on ocaision and he was a true pioneer in his feild and a great jumper, it's a tragic loss. My deepest symphathys to all involved, this kind of thing shoudn't happen but unfortunatly it does. Rest in peace BROTHER.

Mick.

So sorry to hear this..... Gus was a really great person. At 20 jumps or 10,000 jumps...he always treated you like a friend... A terrible loss of a great person....My prayers go out to him and his family...

Will miss ........:(

In the end...the universe has a way of working itself out.... "Harold and Kumar go to White Castle"

So sad that Gus is gone :( He was always looking out for me and giving me safety tips. He was on the plane with me before my accident. He always asked about my recovery and how things were going. Gonna miss seeing his decorative rig and :)
:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(:(
Tunnel Pink Mafia Delegate
www.TunnelPinkMafia.com

Heard about this on the DZ this afternoon at Miami. It's rare to hear about someone dying so quickly while you're at a DZ, so you knew it was someone well loved in the sport.

My best wishes to Gus' family, the folks at DeLand and the pilot involved.

This is a terrible loss for all of us. My prayers go out for Gus, his family, the DeLand crew, and also for the pilot. He's got to be feeling it harder than anyone else.

:(
Vinny the Anvil
Post Traumatic Didn't Make The Lakers Syndrome is REAL
JACKASS POWER!!!!!!

He's got to be feeling it harder than anyone else.:(

Especially since they were such good friends for so long.

Gus & I were working on his website, so now I guess I own www.GusWing.com:(:(:(
I just got home from the tunnel and have started working on a memorial which I will begin posting tonight. If you would like to contribute, please email me [email protected] and I will include your thoughts, messages, photos, videos, WHATEVER you would like to contribute.

On a personal note, Gus was one of the reasons I still skydive.. he was always concerned with safety, I am in as much shock and horrer as anyone else. He is family, always will be, that will never change.
:(