digitalamnesia

skyvan exits

hi,
as some of you may know its langar boogie time and we have a skyvan in, can anyone share with me some differant types of exits

i got thrown out backwards yesterday for my last consolejump - so im A licensed now yeee haaaaa!!!! and iv ran and dived out but i was woundering if you guys could shed some light on some crazy ways to get out

thanks eddie

You wil need to check with the CCI/Pilot first to make sure they are happy to let you do this.

But the best exit i have seen by far was hanging from the bar on the edge of the lowered door (assuming your skyvan has one) and trailing behind the plane and the just dropping away. Look very cool and although ive not done it is suppose to be very cool to do

You should really be doing some nice flat and stable exits.....but put these infront of your instructor first and makes sure he says they are OK to do and suitable with the gear you are using ...

'Reverse gainer'........Get to the door ...face out..jump feet first out ,extend your legs down ...spread out your arms out to the side...keep your eyes on the horizon until it rotates above you.......you will get a nice visual of the plane upside down as you rotate around.

'Jump off backwards'....so you are facing the inside of the plane...
Arch and get nice and stable whislt getting a great view of the plane flying away above you and the next peeeps getting ready to get out.....you get about a half second of nothing as you jump until th relative wind hits you full on !

Just to remind you again....check these first with your instructor !
Have fun :)

Exits I done from the Skyvan are:

1) Hop out backwards, looking toward front of plane, and try to maintain stable head up on the hill, looking at plane.

2) Dive out head first, looking down and try to maintain stable head down on the hill, good for preparing to dive down and dock with someone that exited before you.

3) Hop out in a sit position looking toward the tail of the plane and try to hold stable sit. I'll have to try this facing toward the front of the plane next time ;)

Remember, anybody can just hop out and roll around for a while until they can get stable. However, it's an acquired skill to exit stable and maintain that stability until you reach terminal.

Cheers

Just be aware that you can hurt yourself doing some of the "different" exits out of the skyvan.

If you're going to hang from the strut, check it for nicks before you get in the plane and wear gloves. Also, be careful of your cutaway and reserve handles while doing going over the edge.

As for running and jumping exits, be aware that if you jump up you can hit your head on the door and I've even seen one jumper get his foot caught on one of the door latches at the very back of the door, so aim for the middle.
quade -
The World's Most Boring Skydiver

What Quade said. . .when grabbing the strut and flipping over, watch out for your handles. . .I watched a premature reserve ride due to that happening.
FGF #6
Darcy

But the best exit i have seen by far was hanging from the bar on the edge of the lowered door (assuming your skyvan has one) and trailing behind the plane and the just dropping away. Look very cool and although ive not done it is suppose to be very cool to do

I thought this was cool too, until I dislocated my shoulder while doing it. Definitely seek out someone with experience before trying this.

I had the chance to have my first jump out of a skyvan at the boogie in Floripa-Brasil, for new year, it was a great experience !B|
My favourite was the front loops, once you saw that plane going 3-4 times between your knees, arch the hell out of it ! Great fun and I found it pretty safe.
I tried the same just after from a King Air, but the plane was too fast, I got caught side ways and looked like tumble weed more than anything else... >:(
Can't wait to jump from that back door again !:P

J.Blues
-
Come to the edge. We can't, we're afraid. Come to the edge. We can't, we'll fall. Come to the edge. And they came. And he pushed them. And they flew.

I thought this was cool too, until I dislocated my shoulder while doing it. Definitely seek out someone with experience before trying this.

Same here...
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

thanks everyone,

some of those sound good i think ill try a couple but although hanging from the bar and dropping sounds really good, i think ill pass on that :S

the tourpedo sounds like what i did for my 10th console jump except i was backwards so i got to watch the plane fly away ;)

it feels crazy dont u think, when u dive out and hit still air and then u get hit by wind whoo hoo i love that !!:D
-------------------------------------------------------

if you wanna see the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain

I'VE JUMPED THE SKYVAN AT LANGAR TODAY, DID A
TWO WAY, WITH EXIT AS LINKED SIDE BY SIDE FACING INTO THE AIRCRAFT AND ON THE COUNT BOTH DO A BACKLOOP AS YOU LEAVE THE RAMP.

OR IF YOU ARE LAST OUT RUN THE LENGTH OF THE AIRCRAFT AND DIVE STRAIGHT OUT ( WATCH YOUR
HEAD ON THE TOP OF THE RAMP AND THE RESTRAINTS FITTED INTO THE FLOOR THOUGH).
B|

Take out a tube, nobody does tube dives anymore

An to reitarate what someone said, If you feel the need to hang on the
side bits, be very carefull, Ive seen some nasty scars on peoples hands where they have caught them
on the pointy bits of screws

Have fun an stay behind the line till its your turn

Gone fishing

lol i probaly seen u somewhere then

i jumped the caravan but was on skyvan lift 11 and as we got to the runway that big storm cloud came over and we could not jump, guttering or what

i hope the weather is ok tomoro cos i took a week off work for the boogie :S

whats a tube dive? it sounds interesting

edit: to reply to zep
-------------------------------------------------------

if you wanna see the rainbow, you gotta put up with the rain

Yeow, how to explain a tube dive.

Ok I think the dive got it's name from it's appearance to an inner tube.
If you can imagine rolling a large inner tube out of an aircraft it will first
roll on a vertical axis then turn to a horizontal axis
So using a minimum of four skydivers you can do the same, In the skyvan I've done
with up to ten people.
When you launch this at first it goes down verticaly over an over untill it reaches terminal
then has the tendancy to turn on to it's side whilst still rotating (fast)
By the time it's turned on to it's side an gone round a few times it's difficult to keep gripes
so it's normally turned into a big dougnut, When it gets to this stage the trick is not to put your arm out
an slow it down, The time will come when it will be nearly impossible to hold on an will blow it's self apart

A fun dive

As for exit postions ask an oldtimer on the dz as it's difficult to explain. But it's great to alternate guy's an girls
cause in the exit your head has to be between the legs an laying on top of the next person

I'm shure some one can add to this

Gone fishing

I'm surprised no one mentioned "Pike" position exit yet...step to the tail and turn around facing the interior of the plane, grasp your ankles or calves and gently fall out backwards and hold the position. The wind blast under the plane will hit the back of your legs and put you into a perfect, on axis rotation. Several rotations are possible before the wind blast is nominalized.
A real crowd pleaser! Enjoy...

'Reverse gainer'........Get to the door ...face out..jump feet first out ,extend your legs down ...spread out your arms out to the side...keep your eyes on the horizon until it rotates above you.......you will get a nice visual of the plane upside down as you rotate around.

Kinda like that ...?;)

yip.....a real feel good exit

one i've done before, simple but fun, stand with your toes on the edge, facing inwards, then keeping your body straight just fall backwards, like a trust exercise (but no-body's gonna catch you!!)

It's wierd, because you fall all the way through horizontal before hitting the slipstream, but just watch your head on the top of the door if you are tall... i'm 6' 2" and i have to stoop a bit to avoid this

Tube jumps ROCK!!

I did my first one at Sydney back in Dec...a 6 way...awesome...was the last load of the year & we went upto 16K B|B|B|

Apparently another tip with tube jumps is to keep the tube tight ie keep your arms tensed/close to your body. But yeah, after awhile you just can't hold on anymore & it blows apart lol :D

try it...lots of fun