MakeItHappen

$50 per day

At ------ Offering Expert Freefly Organizing and Coaching!

Registration fee to jump with ----- will be $50.00 PER DAY plus your slot. If you wish to do one on one coaching dives with him you will be charged an additional $25.00 per jump. Otherwise there are no hidden fees. Make one jump with him a day or ten - the price is still $50.00 per day.

Take advantage of this opportunity to get expert coaching at a more than reasonable price.

I ran across this advertisement on a DZ web site. Names replaced with dashes.

Do people actually pay $50 a day to jump with someone?

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker

Yeah...most freefly coaches I've encountered charge $70 per dive, which includes your slot, their slot, and their fees.

USPA Coaches generally charge slot + 10, which is about $50 per dive, but that's for ISP kinda stuff.

Having the right coach is what matters--sometimes the best flyer isn't the best coach, and sometimes the best coach may not be the best coach for you. But having the right coach for you is definitely well worth the money.

My club, our coaches don't charge at all. And if we jump at the club, the club pays the coach's slot and the student pays just their own slot. Most of the coaches if we jump elsewhere (eg on holiday) pay their own slots.

But I know we're very unusual in that, we still have a strong attitude of coaching is something you should do a) because you owe it to the people who coached you and b) because you enjoy it.

I guess our attitude is fairly out of date compared to the modern professional (eg money-making) direction of the sport but that's why I like the place so much...

I did once while on holiday come across a coach who not only charged slots and a fee, but also charged a packing fee for his rig - when he was packing for himself.

Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..

But I know we're very unusual in that, we still have a strong attitude of coaching is something you should do a) because you owe it to the people who coached you and b) because you enjoy it.

I'm a WARP coach and I have to charge because its my only source of income. I have to afford to run my car and buy food plus pay rent. There is just no other way of doing it. If I had loads and loads of spare cash then yes I would more than likely pay my slot, but life is never that simple.

Warwick University Skydiving Club

I guess our attitude is fairly out of date compared to the modern professional (eg money-making) direction of the sport but that's why I like the place so much...

It's awesome to hear that still goes on. I hope your club never falls into the 'money-making' trap.

Instill these ideas in the next generation to make sure it lives on.

Efex is right though. There are some people who make their living this way. No-one expects them to do it for free. I'm happy I'm fortunate enough to not rely on skydiving for income (at this point) so giving free coaching is my way of giving back. Unfortunately not everyone has this option :(

Blues,
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

Nope at my club you pay your slot and his slot thats it. No fees, the instructors are happy to do any discipline they are Qualified to teach Rw, Crw, freefly, they get a kick out off seeing new people advance in the sport:)

Billy-Sonic Haggis Flickr-Fun

I ran across this advertisement on a DZ web site. Names replaced with dashes.

Do you see this as any different than world champion four-way jumpers (like Joe Trinko and Chris Talbert) charging more than $200 per day (plus travel) to stay on the ground and just coach creeping and do video debrief? Do you feel it is any different than Kate Cooper charging people for the privilege of attending her "camps?" Personally, I feel this is a matter of simple economics and guys are going to charge what the market will bear if there is a market for it. While Dave Brown does not compete at all, he IS a very good instructor and I believe people get their money's worth when they pay him. Same for Max Cohn. He has no records to speak of, yet he is a very, very popular and extremely talented instructor/coach. While I am not a freeflyer, both of those guys are friends of mine and I regularly run into them on the boogie circuit. I think it's great that they are able to parlay their name into the means of supporting themselves.

Chuck

Aparently some organizers also charge DZ's to come visit.

Some Course Directors charge to give ratings.

Some tandem instructors even charge for a tandem jump! Imagine that!

I think the root problem is that home builders charge for houses. Even trailers aren't free. Damn those evil trailer makers!!!

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Yeah i'd pay that and more. When i was getting warp coaching the deal was generally you pay the instructor's slot, but it's good for the progression of the dz as a whole to have warp coaches available.

I've done some freefly coaching as well and paid 65 euros a jump for 5 jumps (that included my slot, the instructors slot and the instructors fee), it seems a lot of money, but i learnt more on those 5 jumps than i learnt on 30 jumps just trying to work it out myself, so works out cheaper in the long run!!

If i go back to that dz i'd do more coached jumps without a second thought!

Sounds like a re-hash of the old-school versus new-school attitude towards coaching.
While I came up through the old-school, I do not miss it. Back then coach jumps were free if you had big tits or gave recreational drugs ot the chief instructor. Too bad my job (military) prevented me from buying drugs.
Hee!
Hee!
Nowadays, skydiving is my sole source of income, so I cannot afford to give away anything. While my current boss may allow me to do free fun jumps, my time is better spent chipping away at the mountain of rigging lurking in my loft.

Ass, grass or grass, nobody dives for free!

Hmmm... let's play with some numbers.

Assume that between dirtdiving, debriefing and packing an L.O. will be able to make one jump per hour of daylight. Also assume there are 12 daylight hours available to jump in. So the L.O. can do 12 jumps a day.

Assume that ten people pony up the $50 to jump with said L.O. for the day. Of that group of ten, assume that 6 are capable of doing freefly jumps of any size, 2 are capable of doing freefly jumps not larger than a 4 way and 2 showed up specifically to pay extra to do one on one coach jumps with the L.O. Each of the 8 who are capable of and/or want to do more than 2 ways hope to do 8-10 jumps with the L.O.; an extra $5 - $6.25 per jump, which is not an unusual or outrageous amount to pay to jump with a quality L.O. The two who showed up for one on one coaching each want to do 2-3 jumps. Since those two will be paying $25 extra per jump it's likely the L.O. will happily do as many one on one jumps with them as they want to do.

How many jumps are the 8 wanting to do bigger stuff likely to be able to do with the L.O. that day? How much extra will each jump cost them?

My last math class was a long time ago so I'll leave the figuring as an exercise for the student.

Our club's in Scotland and only open at the weekends so even if you did charge you'd be hard pushed to make any kind of living out of it beyond a bit on top of your 'real job' wages.

Also most of our coaches are also club instructors which means they get all their slots free (for anything), so their only expenses are buying a rig or two, BPA membership, becoming an instructor in the first place, travelling to the DZ, eating, reserve packing and the like. :P Not too much outlay on beer though, which is the student's area of expenditure.

I wasn't suggesting that where it is practical to make a living skydiving you shouldn't do that, but we've always been a club. As such the people who are now coaches didn't pay extra for their coaching, and I like that they want to pass those skills on to others.

I suppose it depends on whether you look at it as they are working therefore they should be being paid, or they are jumping which they clearly want to do regularly, so they get to have the chance to jump free - and if they enjoy coaching as much or more than say competition jumping it works out well for them.

Also nothing exists in a vacuum, it's not just the coaches that give to the club, so do the DZ controllers, people that clean up, people that maintain the building, pilots, the lot. Everyone does their bit.

I like the idea of making a living jumping, but I also like the idea that instructing/coaching and progressing the future of the sport is its own reward. Nothing against people that think the other way but I think I will always have a day job to pay the rent and if I can save some money on my hobby by instructing, even better.

Sweep
----
Yay! I'm now a 200 jump wonder.... Still a know-it-all tho..

Obviously some people do. I don't.

Is that because you get coaching for free or you don't recieve coaching?

If you are being coached, are you recieving one on one professional quality training?
My grammar sometimes resembles that of magnetic refrigerator poetry... Ghetto

I've met more than a few coaches that I'd pay good money to llearn from.

I paid Pat McGowan for coaching time in the Perris tunnel last year and I cannot wait to go back to Perris and actually jump with him.

I'd pay for that too.

Now, I like the spirit of giving back just as much as the next guy. However, let's not lose the fact that depending upon your skydiving goals, there are a great many coaches out here that are damn well worth what they charge.

that said, this is a damn dangerous sport and I take it awfully seriously. the thought that I'd have to pony up every now and then for some quality training, well, thats just not too hard to stomach.

j
It's a gas, gas, gas...

What about the Rigger Examiner charging $200 per day, plus expenses to train new riggers?
I was paid a hundred dollars a day, plus expenses while doing drop tests.

I charge $200 a day plus travel and expenses for drop tests. For test jumps I charge $200 a jump plus expenses. No more then 4 jumps a day if under 18,000 msl and only one a day if over 18,000 msl.

But then testing is more fun than coaching.:P

Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

Skydiving has gone commercial Jan, for good or bad, I don't know. When I was a newbie it was difficult - at first - to find experienced jumpers to jump with me. Once I got to know people, I got some excellent coaching from experienced jumpers as well as AFF Instructors for free even when I offered to pay for their jump - I still owe Carmen for a jump she refused to let me pay for. I was lucky to get into the sport when I did. I benefited from the kind of mentorship that seems to be all but gone. I don't have tits and I didn't buy drugs. I lucked out and found a Family of friends I'll know for the rest of my life.

Jan, I guess the point is, people are willing to pay big bucks to get good fast. Priorities have have changed.
Keith

Don't Fuck with me Keith - J. Mandeville

We have freefly organizers at my dz. I think if they get 5 people together on a jump then their slot is paid for which makes it win-win for everyone. Jimmy and Paxton will organize and jump with us and also give us debriefs whenever they aren't doing their official coaching duties where they get paid and earn their living on.

I apologized to Paxton once for not being able to pay the coaching fees and he said that wasn't a problem for him at all on these kind of jumps. He said beside having the satisfaction of watching me get better and seeing that big smile on my face when I accomplish something, it's better for him too because it creates more locals for him to jump and have fun with. It would be a great thing for other dz's to implement also if they're not doing it already.
She is Da Man, and you better not mess with Da Man,
because she will lay some keepdown on you faster than, well, really fast. ~Billvon

I get 150 a day to spend the whole day with someone.

I can't do AFF or Tandems if I am coaching all day. I have yet to have a single person say it was not worth it.

Now I do plenty of free jumps, even free AFF jumps...But if they want me to devote the day to them, I ask to get paid.

People pay more than 50 bucks a day to be on big ways.
"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms." -- Thomas Jefferson, Thomas Jefferson Papers, 334

Talk about thread hijacking….

The ad is for 'whoever shows up' type loads, not pre-planned camp type dives, AFF, ISP, WARP, rigger training or even drop testing.

There's no guarantee that a +1k jumper would not end up on a load with 100 jump jumpers. (Jumps in that discipline.) If the +1k jumper didn't want that, they'd be wasting their money. I get the question 'Who else is on the load?' all the time before people commit to a load. They want to jump with people of similar skill level. If I ask ringer types on a lower experienced load, I tell them that ahead of time - so they are fully aware that the dive difficulty will be lower.

I have no problem with people charging $ for coaching. I do it myself.

A 'whoever shows up load' would be different.

I always like pre-planned groups of similar skill level that jump together for at least 5 jumps. This way the coaching is more effective. You can build up skill sets by teaching one or two skills per dive and then putting them all together on the last jump. This is a model that is proven to be effective.

If the roster changes jump to jump you end up re-teaching the same lessons. That is ineffective for the people that have already learned the lesson, who only need a quick review. There is also an intangible confidence in each other that comes along with jumping with the same group all day long.

Anyway, if there is a market to charge for 'whoever shows up loads' maybe I will tell DanBC that I'll organize pick-up loads at Perris. He's been bugging me for months to do the 'whoever shows up loads'. But I really don't want to organize those loads for free. Somehow, I think I'll still ensure that the group is of comparable skill level.

The good thing about pick-up loads is that you don't have to send a bazillion emails out weeks before or deal with cancellations Friday night at 10 PM or Saturday morning at 6 AM.

Make It Happen
Parachute History
DiveMaker