mdwhalen

Watch "World's Dumbest AFF Student"

"I pulled my main and it just broke off. They hadn't trained me for something like that to happen." Then lands in power lines. Blames his equipment and bad luck.

Looks old so this is probably a repost.

Yeah, it is, but keep it out there. Every skydiver needs to get a good look at this guy in case they see him on the street so he can be properly shamed.
I would so love to overhear this guy talking about his "ordeal" in a bar.

i need to watch this every time i wonder if *i* was a really dumb aff student... because this reminds me that no, no, compared to that i was brilliant...
his body position is just horrible and i just about lost it when i saw him pulling the cutaway.. "his reserve chute finally opens???" how about, he finally *pulls* his reserve handle??

aw. pisses me off.
life is either a daring adventure or nothing at all.
(helen keller)

What's amazing is the number of times he fails at trying to kill himself :S:P

No, what is amazing is the fact the commentator does not say, "So Scott, why did you pull your cutaway handle??? Actually, it appears, Scott, that the equipment worked just as designed...:P"

No, what is amazing is the fact the commentator does not say, "So Scott, why did you pull your cutaway handle??? Actually, it appears, Scott, that the equipment worked just as designed...:P"

That doesn't sell.. the guy is an ass, obviously he figured this would make for good video to sell to a show like this.. cause his instructors must have ripped him a new asshole after this jump.. and he just showed his family and was too much of a loser to admit he screwed up..

That doesn't sell.. the guy is an ass, obviously he figured this would make for good video to sell to a show like this.. cause his instructors must have ripped him a new asshole after this jump.. and he just showed his family and was too much of a loser to admit he screwed up..

Sure it would sell... Let the guy tell his whole story, as if the equipment was malfunctioning... Then all of a sudden, show how he really screwed up and how wrong he was... :P

Ya, I know what you are saying... Sensationalism always sells over the truth... I just thought it would be funny to see this guys facial expressions if the interviewer called him out on his “misconceptions” of how the dive went.

Actually, it appears, Scott, that the equipment worked just as designed...:P"

I don't hink so. The RSL did not work. I am pretty sure the main JM deployed main on purpose (she knew that it has been cut away), hoping that it would open the reserve. It did not happen. I am 99% sure the jump happened at Skydive Sebastian, so the RSL would have been used at such established DZ.

Also, it looks like the Reserve JM was not aware of the wole mess. He just tracked away as soon as the student started decelerating. Probably that's why the Main JM decided to activate reserve via RSL - it was much faster than trying to signal what happened to the Reserve JM and "asking" him to deploy the reserve.

So, what's up with that RSL?

In the commentators defence, he did eventually learn about the innacuracies and re-edit the video. I've seen the updated video and there were still issues, but it was far more balanced.

I'm not sure if there's a version online or not.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

I am 99% sure the jump happened at Skydive Sebastian

The jump happened in Perris. He pulled the cutawaypad just a second before the JM threw him out. I can't speak for the mainside AFFI but I believe he was unaware of what happened and was getting him a canopy over his head. The reserve side JM does what he is to do and holds on till the student starts to get lifted vertically and then tracks away. Too bad the student did'nt get a canopy but instead got lifted then tumbled.

This video is great proof of showing why not to trust your backups.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

I think he was a lawyer, but I don't know if he sued

I believe some student who ended up in power lines sued Perris (or tried to). Hence the 2,436 pages release documents you have to sign prior to jumping there. I thought it might have been him.

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

No matter how many times I see that clip, I don't know what is more appalling: the fact that he was stupid enough to pull the cutaway, OR the idiot whuffo commentator. You would have thought he would have done at least a LITTLE fact checking.>:(
Skydivers don't knock on Death's door. They ring the bell and runaway... It really pisses him off.
-The World Famous Tink. (I never heard of you either!!)
AA #2069 ASA#33 POPS#8808 Swooo 1717