superman0710

air traffic blunder on AFF 4.

coming in for my landing on my AFF level 4 i noticed a tandem instructor on final about 50 feet above me. Since i was unsure about right of way (lower person has the right of way; but are tandems an exception?) i decided that i'll stick to my landing pattern versus risking a low turn. Incidentally the tandem master had to alter his flight plan. When we landed i learned the golden rule that if you're coming in from the right half of the field, land there; vice versa for the left half.

tandem master was really cool about it telling me "don't worry, we've all been there" he complimented me on my accuracy and landing and then we headed for the bus.

a bit embarrasing but just a reminder to all to KNOW the air traffic and landing patterns of your drop zone and any you visit.

When we landed i learned the golden rule that if you're coming in from the right half of the field, land there; vice versa for the left half.

There ya go... Your learning.

I was given an LZ walk around during FJS that showed me how to use the area. I assumed it was standard practice.

Tandem should have the right of way for any landing pattern on final aproach, as they are LESS manuverable then any other canopy in the pattern.

Yes so guys like me (so called experienced fun jumpers) do need to give the tandem the right of way. But Superman0710 did the right thing at his entry level experience level not doing a panic low turn all because the tandem was above him. I'm glad you didn't pound Superman0710.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

but are tandems an exception?

Tandem should have the right of way for any landing pattern on final aproach, as they are LESS manuverable then any other canopy in the pattern.

In theory, a tandem should be given the right of way, but when a tandem instructor and a student are conflicting, the tandem instructor should fly defensively and yield to the student. Remember, the tandem instructor knows what he is doing, and can actually maneuver very easily. The student is a huge unknown, and at least while the conflict is happening, shouldn't be expected to do anything to avoid the problem.

In this case it looks like the student didn't know what to do, so the instructor altered his course. They chatted about it later, and the student learned. Good work on the part of both!

For a bit more discussion about right of way and avoidance, see Article 12 "Landing Direction Defined" at http://ranchskydive.com/safety/index.htm. Some of it is specific to The Ranch, but there is a good deal that applies to any drop zone.
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

A while ago I learned to stay away from the tandems. Not long ago after a high altitude hop n' pop, I was setup over our swoop course and a tandem was directly below me over the entry gates. I aborted the swoop of course and wasn't happy at the lost opportunity (people shouldn't be over flying the swoop course). But in that time I learned that I wasn't innocent on this lost swoop. It was my fault for not timing my entry into the pattern so as to ensure myself and tandems are not in the same sky low to the ground at the same time.

One skill people need to learn especially when they are jumping at large turbine aircraft DZs is to look at who is getting on the airplane, what sort of jump are they doing, what sort of canopy do they fly and what kind of landing will they make. Sometimes it makes sense (for those of us jumping high performance canopies doing high performance flight) to be the first one down. Sometimes is makes sense to try and hang in brakes. And sometimes it makes sense to find your window somewhere in the middle. Being a proactive canopy pilot is the name of the game. Don't just let things happen up there.

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over