minobu

Went on first jump this past weekend.

Hey all,

I loved the experience and plan to do it as often as I can. I did have a question, I went Tandem for my first jump and for the last 2 days I have been EXTREMELY sore in between my shoulder blades on my back, I was wondering if anyone had heard of this before and what kind of exercises I would need to do to prevent this or was it that I may have been too tense while in freefall and therefore put undue stress on my upper back? It feels like it is just muscle soreness. Oh and I was also curious do you ever get used to the leg straps while under the canopy?

Thanks for any answers,

Only skydivers know why the birds sing!

Jim

Don't think that's too out of the ordinary. It may have come from holding your arms back in the arch the whole time. Maybe not, but I've had all kinds of new and exciting muscle soreness since I started jumping, so I don't think this is something about which to worry.

And yes, you do get used to the leg straps. Keep in mind that tandem harnesses are "one size fits all", whereas a custom-fit sport harness is designed specifically for the jumper. There is a world of difference in terms of comfort.

Congrats on the first jump. Only 9999 more to go...

Congratulations!!
Um, sore muscles yes... I also often find (sometimes unexplained) bruises in wierd places after i've been jumping :S... it's all worth it!! some stretching exercises before jumping was what was suggested to me for muscles ...hasn't worked yet...:o
...personally never noticed leg straps as an issue..

so, when you gonna start jumping on your own?
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.

Well I was planning on going tandem to AFF but I am gonna ask if I can just go straight to AFF instead of doing anymore tandems. Its kind of nutz I can't stop thinking about doing it again so I figure that would be more fun than going the tandem to AFF route.

Jim

Welcome to the sport! :)When you start doing AFF jumps, you may be doing 2 or 3 in a day, and the thigh pain will be bad. Using extra pads has helped me get through the day under canopy.

Good luck! :)
"At 13,000 feet nothing else matters."
PFRX!!!!!
Team Funnel #174, Sunshine kisspass #109
My Jump Site

Hi Jim,

While tandem passenger harness' have improved over the years sometimes they aren't fully adjusted for comfort. It'll get better when you start AFF, and better still when you get your own gear . . .

Welcome to skydiving!

NickD :)BASE 194

Hey! Welcome to the club!!!

I know how you feel! I don't go more than about 2 minutes before I start, or I should say continue to think about skydiving. I did my first two student jumps last weekend and it was awesome!!! It was one hell of a lot more comfortable under my own canopy than in a tandem harness. I've started stretching a lot as soon as I get to the dz because I'm usually on wind hold anyway. By the time I've jumped and the beer light is on, I don't feel any different (soreness wise) than I did when I got there. When you arch, just relax and have fun. I've noticed that crossing your feet after you're under canopy helps your legs and thighs and it gets some of the blood back into your body so you don't land with sponge feet! ;) Read everything you can about the sport and most importantly, be safe and have fun!!!

Blue skies!!!

Ryan
The key to being a good teacher, is to be a good listener...

Thanks for all the responses guys, I really like the vibe.

oh yeah its definitely gonna be hitting the pocketbook decided instead of the TV I am gonna spend it on getting those first 8 Assisted jumps out of the way so I can start working toward A liscense.
:)
Oh and if I cut off my phone I could probably get a few more jumps in per month as well ;)

Jim

First of all, congrats on your first-jump! It only gets better from here on out. I usually didn't feel sore after I jump, but I do get really tired after I start driving home (coming down off all that adrenaline). I think once you start jumping even just student gear, you will learn how to best adjust your own straps to your body to be the most comfortable. I know even when I was on student gear, after just a couple jumps I learned what the best position and tightness was on the leg straps especially for comfort. Keep it up!!!! -Mike

You'll never find me Jew gold!