sabregrl

Landing Out - DZ Procedures

i can't let this discussion go without sending a response myself. having landed off a minimum of 10 times,and had 3 chops, i can relate to barb's concerns. on all but one occasion, there was always someone there to make sure i was uninjured and accounted for. i have witnessed the concern and reaction from both staff and experienced jumpers whenever a jumper fails to make the dz or suffers an injury. we are family, and nobody wants to see another get hurt.

i've heard the call from manifest many times to have a load check in after a long spot & off landings. i have seen the little white truck race off to assist a jumper after an off. i've also seen experienced jumpers on even more occasions, race out of the dz to pick up a fellow jumper. the potential for confusion is high when nobody is sure who has responded to the situation.

this one isolated incident seems to indicate a need to review the policy regarding the responsibility of the LO. i personally would like to know why this particular LO did not measure up. sunset is the worst case scenario to landing off in this rugged terrain. having never been a LO, i don't know what the policy is, but experience tells me that the LO generally accounts for his load following the dive, and is especially diligent when the dive goes bad, as this one seems to have. are we going to hear from him/her?

the bottom line to me is that this discussion would be productive if both the offended parties and the S&TA investigate the incident and take corrective action. without inflamed conversation, and with an open mind, policy can be refined to make every jumper aware of the concerns and responsibilities relative to injuries and off landings. from my point of view, skydive san diego has always demonstrated concern and response when things go awry on a jump. i also realize the we are all human and there will be incidents where communications break down and procedures fail.

one breakdown in communications should not be an opportunity to tarnish the reputations of the fine people who work so hard to maintain sdsd's fine safety record. there are a few issues common to dz's all over the country i would like to see addressed, and i maintain constant communications with the staff in san diego to voice my concerns. self-regulation always brings with it a higher margin for error, and this tightrope should be walked by EVERYONE.

the bottom line, is, SKYDIVE SAN DIEGO is my home, and it is so because i enjoy the people who fly there, and respect those in positions of responsibility who work there. we are all skydivers, and our continued enjoyment of the sport requires that we all become involved in keeping it safe and caring for everyone who plays with us. this thread tears at my soul because all of a sudden communication has been replaced with half truths and negativity. c'mon, brothers and sisters, remind me why you are a group of very special people. get off your egos and band that energy together to create a solution to this problem. you have proven many times that you can set everything aside to help a fallen comrade, i challenge you to use the same energy to PREVENT incidents that will cause us all pain and suffering.

once again, i am humbled by you guyz. thanks for grounding this issue back to action and away from inflammation. i was getting ready to order up some suppositories!

i hate to sound like a corporate weenie, but i have a suggestion that may prevent these incidents and the hard feelings they can spawn...

it seems to me that in order to reconnect the experienced jumpers with the staff, and especially the S&TA, we could hold an informal, SCHEDULED meeting with the staff and a funjumper liason to address safety issues on a REGULAR BASIS. i am often uncomfortable demanding the attention of a staff member while they are trying to support a busy student schedule on the weekend, and i forget the issue once i can spend a few minutes with them whey they are not so busy. (can you say "senior moments"?)

this solution can provide several things...

- a forum for all jumpers to ensure that their concerns are heard, and a line of communication that keeps EVERYONE aware of the fact that safety is a preoccupation and a necessity;

- constant review and tweaking of existing procedures.

- accountability. not just for the staff, but accountability that reminds all jumpers to remain diligent; and in that diligence, becoming an active participant in keeping SDSD a safe place to play.

in exchange for this service, i would also suggest that when an incident occurs, this liason could expect an IMMEDIATE response from the S&TA so that jumpers will leave the dz with the feeling that their concern did not fall on deaf ears. (i recently reported an incident to manifest but walked away without the assurance that my concern was valid and would be addressed.)

the disconnect between staff and funjumpers is the reality that students support our addiction. our playground is centered around these activities, and the staff is human and often overworked and/or preoccupied. funjumpers can get selfish and egotistical when our needs are not met because of the perceived priority the dz must grant to students. i am committed to doing my part in supporting the needs of the dz over my own wish to have a plane waiting for me every time i'm ready to jump. i like paying only $15 a jump and take a stand for whatever it takes to keep the prices this low. if that means taking an active part on EVERY jump day to make sure none of us suffers injury, i am available and willing!

peace,
chuck

***"this one isolated incident seems to indicate a need to review the policy regarding the responsibility of the LO. i personally would like to know why this particular LO did not measure up. sunset is the worst case scenario to landing off in this rugged terrain."

Well put, Chuck.
I think you hit the nail on the head. Just one of the many reasons the LO slots aren't really free, and there are or should be, responsibilities that go with them. Not all LO's are created equal, no matter what their skill level. I consider them working jumps, but still manage to have fun most of the time.

~Not too deep in the corner...

Good Ideas chuck!! I would be into that! I know to, when I think of something to ask, I 1) forget because I am not around a staff member at the time like you have forgot 2) they are busy with students and I most certainly do not want to interrupt them.

then its the end of the day & I forget. Since I have been incosistent visiting otay w/ surgeries, going to perris or doing something else, I do forget the next time for sure when I go to Otay. So having regular meetings would be cool.

Staff members? comments? Would any of this work for you at all?

cool, cool, I feel the love again, yay!!!!! :)

My comments had more to do with who a jumper should rely on.

Should hope by now you know the answer to that. As a better than "A" licensed jumper you are cleared to jumpmaster yourself. You are the one you should rely on.
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.