mjosparky

Bogus Riggers

mjosparky,

Are you talking about who I think you are?????

Be nice now. You might bring out the S&TA's to ground you!!!!!!

Hope you are well my friend.

Blues,

J.E>

J.E.,
I am doing fine and how about you? Hell I have been grounded at better places.:P
Sparky
My idea of a fair fight is clubbing baby seals

It's always possible to call your local FAA office as listed in the phone book. The inspectors should be able to look up detail for any FAA certificated person and they should be willing to tell you officially that the person has or does not have any specific rating. They will probably NOT offer additional detail about name, address, or history.

Calling to check a rating is not an unusual thing to do. Most major companies and insurance agencies do these kinds of checks prior to hiring or offering insurance. Once the FAA inspector tells you the person isn't listed you may choose to present a case of misrepresentation, or you may choose not to file an official complaint.

With that said, I don't know that there is a legal problem with claiming an FAA rating that you don't have. But there IS a problem if the person exercises the rating. Check with the FAA for confirmation of that issue.

As for USPA ratings, you can easily call HQ and ask about anybody, or check with your local USPA DZ and have them run a computer check. If a person is claiming USPA ratings that they don't have it would be wise to pass that information along to the Safety and Training Director. Claiming ratings that haven't been earned cheapens the rating the rest of us have earned, and dilutes the value of those ratings to the general public.

If you are uncomfortable reporting somebody to FAA or USPA you can have a confidential talk with your S&TA and ask him to handle the report on your behalf without using your name.

Tom Buchanan
Instructor (AFF, SL, IAD, Tandem)
Coach Course Director
Safety and Training Advisor
Commercial Pilot (IAMSEL,G)
Senior Parachute Rigger
Author JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy
Tom Buchanan
Instructor Emeritus
Comm Pilot MSEL,G
Author: JUMP! Skydiving Made Fun and Easy

Sorry, but not true.

The young man was packing un-supervised and using his dad's seal.

His excuse was that an DPRE has watched him pack and stated he would have passed the exam if he was old enough. Even without taking the written exam.

Blues,

J.E>
James 4:8

Do you know if this person is actively packing parachutes? If it is such an issue, why dont you ask to see his or her FAA certificate?

Good question.

I guess, for me, it's a matter of integrity. If I could ask them to see their certificate, I would. Oh, right, I have....and there was a big ol hubbub from their side (name calling, attitude, et cetera). Which is, by the way, the fastest way to pique my interest and make me question bona fides.

I don't claim things which aren't mine. I don't like people who do. If I can't trust the person who's packing reserves to be honest, then how in the world can I trust them to pack my last chance?

And lastly, I suppose, it comes down to safety. If someone is doing something unsafe, we as a community need to speak up and say something. We talk about that all the time here on these boards - tons of threads about that topic. It's not my nature to sit by and say "that's someone else's problem", be that someone else at my home DZ or in Timbuktu. Can you imagine if this person was packing reserves, and isn't qualified to do so, and a client of theirs went in? Huge issue for DZ, DZO, and all surrounding them. Talk about bad publicity and lawsuits...and how would I feel if that happened, and I knew something, but took no action? I'd feel very bad....

By the same token, I will not "out" this person until I am beyond positive that they are not what they say they are. If they are bona fide, then there shouldn't be any issue with me checking it out. I know that if I claimed to be a senior rigger, I'd have no problems with someone checking me out...

Just my thoughts, and you're welcome to your own.

And TomBuch, thanks for your post. I didn't realize I could do it that way, and that's something I will look into. I appreciate the direction.

Ciels-
Michele

~Do Angels keep the dreams we seek
While our hearts lie bleeding?~

I guess, for me, it's a matter of integrity. If I could ask them to see their certificate, I would. Oh, right, I have....and there was a big ol hubbub from their side (name calling, attitude, et cetera). Which is, by the way, the fastest way to pique my interest and make me question bona fides.

That would make me suspiscious too. Personally, i wish people would ask to see my rigger certificate. I'm quite proud of the hard work and would love to show it off. :)
That being said, i am a bit pissed with people that lie about having the ticket. I worked my ass off to obtain it and don't like the thought of people lying and say they did all the work when they haven't.

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Sorry, but not true.

The young man was packing un-supervised and using his dad's seal.

His excuse was that an DPRE has watched him pack and stated he would have passed the exam if he was old enough. Even without taking the written exam.

Blues,

J.E>

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Brag all you want, but it does not mean anything until the FAA issues you with a certificate.
I am so tired of listening to people tell me that they have packed X dozen reserves under supervision and know more than many licensed riggers.
If you are that good, then write the bleeding exam!

I am so tired of listening to people tell me that they have packed X dozen reserves under supervision and know more than many licensed riggers

People that pack X number of reserves under supervision are not riggers, they are parachute packers. Big, big difference.

And Sunshine, you should be proud of your Cert.
Sparky

One more point, that nobody has mentioned yet. This site only lists two different ratings that you can choose for rigger... Senior Parachute Rigger, and Master Parachute Rigger. What if someone has a CSPA or other organization rating? For example, a CSPA Rigger A is basically a senior rigger, and a rigger B is a master rigger (there are small differences, but they are basically the same). If someone has a CSPA Rigger A ticket, they will list on here as a senior rigger, because that is the closest. A search on the FAA website, however, will not come up with their name if you do a search.

Just another point.

That being said, i am a bit pissed with people that lie about having the ticket. I worked my ass off to obtain it and don't like the thought of people lying and say they did all the work when they haven't.

I agree!! I am currently working to get it, and it is way more work than I had expected...

Note to everybody: People on here are getting all uptight about people writing something in their profile that is untrue. Im sure that ratings are not the only thing untrue in profiles on here. The internet is full of "improved" information. You just hafta use your judgement. Nobody will get their reserve repacked because they saw someone on DZ had a rigger rating. They will probably check it out a little bit more. Just my .02cents.

Derek,

One thing you must be careful of, I noticed when I searched my own name I came up with no reference the first two times. The name has to be specific and as shown on the certificate.

My example, J.E. = James. I am a "JR" however it is not shown on my certificates as my father was also a pilot however using SS# and DOB was how they seperated our ratings.

So, make sure you have the full name.

Blues,

J.E.
James 4:8

Sorry I'm late to the thread. I once saw a person on here that had one jump and was apparently a senior rigger, uspa coach, and birdman instructor. B|

Talk about a prodigy!! :D

Wrong Way
D #27371 Mal Manera Rodriguez Cajun Chicken Ø Hellfish #451
The wiser wolf prevails.

I once saw a person on here that had one jump and was apparently a senior rigger, uspa coach, and birdman instructor.

Well it is possible to be a rigger and not jump. As for the other stuff, I'm thinking NOT!
May your trails be crooked, winding, lonesome, dangerous, leading to the most amazing view. May your mountains rise into and above the clouds. - Edward Abbey

I once saw a person on here that had one jump and was apparently a senior rigger, uspa coach, and birdman instructor.

Well it is possible to be a rigger and not jump. As for the other stuff, I'm thinking NOT!

Do you think it would be possible if they used one of the new CREEPS on their one jump?:) You know it has 5 intereface modes.
Sparky

I don't know the particular person beign discussed, but as has been mentioned before, the FAA can take a long, long time to get the paperwork done. They royaly screwed mine and it was 51 weeks and two temp certificates before I got my card. Was a lot of hassle as some places didn't want to honor my repacks as I didn't have a symbol.

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

. Was a lot of hassle as some places didn't want to honor my repacks as I didn't have a symbol.

Interesting. My experience is limited, but the DPRE I used to work for was assigned a range of 10 symbols at a time, and then was allowed to give them to those canidates he graduated. I guess not every DPRE does this?
----------------------------------------------
You're not as good as you think you are. Seriously.

Interesting. My experience is limited, but the DPRE I used to work for was assigned a range of 10 symbols at a time, and then was allowed to give them to those canidates he graduated. I guess not every DPRE does this?

I dunno, my experience was the same as yours. I've never heard of it being done any differently.

Derek

. Was a lot of hassle as some places didn't want to honor my repacks as I didn't have a symbol.

IIRC, what happened was that our DPRE was supposed to be assigned a block but hadn't recieved it by the time of our exams. Though we didn't realize it, this was a hint of the bureaucratic nightmare to come. I've come to understand that it's never a good thing when the FAA classifies your file as "in reconstruction".

-Blind
"If you end up in an alligator's jaws, naked, you probably did something to deserve it."

IIRC, what happened was that our DPRE was supposed to be assigned a block but hadn't recieved it by the time of our exams. Though we didn't realize it, this was a hint of the bureaucratic nightmare to come. I've come to understand that it's never a good thing when the FAA classifies your file as "in reconstruction".

That seems odd. The DPRE who did my exam didn't have a block of symbols, but called the FAA 5 minutes after I passed my exam and got the symbol. It was about a 10-minute conversation, as I recall, and I left with my temporary certificate in hand, with the seal symbol noted on the certificate.

Strange.

Amy

The only thing I found for the name in your profile was a 3rd Class medical from 1989. I did find several local riggers, though.

Yeah, I know, this is a really old thread. But it bugged me, because I couldn't find my name either (the maiden one). So finally it got mostly straightened out; I'd forgotten they misspelled my maiden name as Nordstom. Back and chest, 1978.:)
And the medical would have been a different Wendy Wilkinson, because I never got one.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)