LuvToFly

How often do you do three-ring maintenance?

I've gotten really diligent about trying to keep after this, including removal of cutaway lines, wipe clean, etc and reassembly just to give confidence that the system is working well when I need it -

I have a feeling that a lot of people (both low and high jump numbers) don't do proper 3-ring maintenance half as much as they should - and it seems very important that we do -

What's your practice?

"The helicopter approaches closer than any other to fulfillment
of mankind's ancient dreams of a magic carpet" - Igor Sikorsky

Ever since I read an artical (can't remember where) saying that it was'nt a good thing to turn the rings
with your fingers (bodily oil not being PH neutral) I now leave it to the rigger to check them an lube the cables
every six months

Gone fishing

I started rigging this winter and have seen (almost without exception) that the cutaway cables are excessively dirty. I have mentioned it to people and said they should clean their cables when they flex their 3 rings and they look at me funny.

I would imagine that most jumpers simply dont do this and expect their riggers to do all the service their gear needs.

I put a not on the work order of rigs that had dirty cables to make sure the jumper knows about the maintenance. Helps me remember who is who.

Johnny
--"This ain't no book club, we're all gonna die!"
Mike Rome

I disconnected my 3-rings today. I rode my motorcycle to the DZ with my rig on my back and thought that it would be a good idea to disconnect the canopy from the rig. So does that count as maintenance? :)

Try not to worry about the things you have no control over

I do it once a month, at the start of each month so that I naturally just remember when it's due. According to the poll the majority of people do this, which is suprising.

I now do my boyfriends too, if I didnt he'd only do it once every 6 months or so.
www.TerminalSports.com.auAustralia's largest skydive gear store

It was part of my packing class that once a month to clean and lube the cables and flex the tree rings. So far they have been clean when I checked.

Monkeyboy

I find myself doing maintenance at least every 30 days, and there is always some slight dirt that comes off in cleaning the cutaway cables. Definitely not enough to every snag it (because I keep after it) but I don't even want to go there.

I have known some people that are just plain afraid to disassemble to perform any maintenance, and I think that is a concern. I believe that we should know as much as possible about how everything hooks together and is held together in these things we wear on our backs so that we can quickly recognize when things don't look as they should -

I also perform a quick check of my legstraps stiching before donning my container - and this is a new container. Just a habit, but I think a good one.

As far as the person who said that they heard it was not a good thing to do the 3-rings because of hand oil, I think someone had commented on this related to cast fittings, but I don't believe it would apply to stainless steel in any regard.

Even still, I'd rather err on the side of working the ring's fabric to keep set out. You can always wipe off your rings with a clean dry cloth afterwards if you are really concerned.

The other related benefit is that I like the opportunity to pull the cutaway handle. I put the container on and pull just like it is an emergency - as well as try to pull the reserve whenever it is repack time. It's good to actually grab onto to these things and deploy so that it's not completely foreign to you when and if the time comes you'll need to. It's one thing to pull the practice harness, it's another thing to go through the emer' procedures in your own rig. And, even though your handles will probably not be positioned in the same spot if a real deployment is required due to the forces on the harness, I still think it's good to use the 3-ring maintenance opportunity for practicing the cut-away as a spin-off benefit as well.

Flexing and lubing of the cables. At least once a month. Sometimes more often, if I jump at a dusty DZ.
Question: is there such a thing as flexing and lubing too often?

"For once you have tasted Absinthe you will walk the earth with your eyes turned towards the gutter, for there you have been and there you will long to return."

I'd really like to know how people flex the webbing without disassembly.

That sounds like rubbish to me.

I do it with disassembly every 30 days, and usually leave the risers disconnected from Monday to Friday. It's simple when the rig is packed.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

The only part of a correctly made Type 17 mini 3-ring riser (with 5/8" webbing holding the small riser ring) that might need flexing is the white closing loop. This "flexing the webbing" business comes from 20 years ago when we used 1 3/4" Type 12 webbing to hold the small riser ring on Type 8 risers. This webbing, because it was so wide in relation to the small ring, and because there is so much mechanical advantage in the "large" 3-ring system, could cause a problem if it got "stiff". Just clean and lube the yellow cable every month with silicone, and you should never have a problem.

I rode my motorcycle to the DZ with my rig on my back and thought that it would be a good idea to disconnect the canopy from the rig.

I used to ride with my rig on my back once in a while - then I started thinking things through -

Imagine if something really freaky happens and your reserve opens up at 60-70 mph?

Easy Does It

Imagine if something really freaky happens and your reserve opens up at 60-70 mph?

Then I'm going to get dumped on my ass on the highway in front of cars and maybe just maybe I'll never need to worry about making that mistake again right? I don't always ride my bike to the DZ and lately I've been keeping my rig at the DZ if I know I'm going to be riding. But there are the occasional times (like yesterday) when I find myself on my bike with my rig. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened. It's just another risk versus reward scenario.

Then tell me why you pull your cutaway handle?

To eliminate one of the two canopies from coming out and dumping me on my ass with it. Yes sure the reserve is still vulnerable, but at least my main won't kill me. Where's the harm in eliminating one risk? Oh or is this a "you should always be safe no matter what thread". And if that's the case I better give up skydiving, riding my motorcycle, swooping, BASE jumping, Ground Launching, Skiing, Mountain bike riding, mountaineering, rock climbing, etc, etc, etc. Oh what the heck maybe I should give up living my life to it's fullest because it's obviously not safe.

I would imagine the reserve would be more likely to do more bodily damage than the main. (but that's just me-) When I was ridng with my rig on, I'd tuck the hackey into the BOC. Then after thinking things through, now I just stuff all my gear into a T-Bag and put it on the sissy bar. Nice and safe and I still enjoy the putt to the DZ.

Easy Does It

There was an incident once where a guy was suited up and heading for the plane, when another jumper stopped him to ask why he had he bright orange ribbons hanging out of both his main and reserve. They were the ribbons on the temporary packing pins he had put in the loops beside the main and reserve pins to ensure the rig didn't open up as he rode his bike to the DZ. :o
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

The only part of a correctly made Type 17 mini 3-ring riser (with 5/8" webbing holding the small riser ring) that might need flexing is the white closing loop. This "flexing the webbing" business comes from 20 years ago when we used 1 3/4" Type 12 webbing to hold the small riser ring on Type 8 risers. This webbing, because it was so wide in relation to the small ring, and because there is so much mechanical advantage in the "large" 3-ring system, could cause a problem if it got "stiff". Just clean and lube the yellow cable every month with silicone, and you should never have a problem.

I'm definitely inclined to accept your explanation Bill - since you developed the system. But I think it's important to note that manufacturers clearly recommend that this maintenance is done. For instance, from the Infinity manual, pages 45-47 states forthrightly that, "Take each riser and vigorously twist and flex the webbing near where it passes through each ring. The idea is to remove any set or deformation of the webbing. Do the same thing to the white loop."

As an introduction to the maintenance, Velocity states in the same manual on page 45: "Although the system (Booth 3-ring) is as durable as the rest of the harness/container assemble, it requires periodic maintenance to ensure proper operation."

There is no distinction between riser width in these instructions -

I was also taught this method during AFF training.

(edited for spelling)

I wrote those words over 20 years ago for the original large 3-ring systems. Mini 3-ring risers have so little mechanical advantage that "webbing stiffness" is no longer a problem (unless you spill glue on the webbing or something). However, I will admit that webbing flexing does no harm on mini ring systems, and might actually do some good on large ring systems.

So do you recommend that after cleaning the cables with a food grade silicon, that you wipe them once with a clean towel to remove excess lubrication? ( I've heard excess lube attracts dirt)

Also, have you heard of people spraying the 3-rings down with lubrication? I've noticed the 3-ring loops getting pretty dirty on the side that rubs the small ring on a couple rigs. It could just be the way the owners are handling them, but wanted your thoughts/results of any tests you've done on this.

I'm asking because(after recent cutaway problems) we've decided to put up an experienced jumper 3-ring/cutaway maintenence station in our hanger. Thanks....

Question: is there such a thing as flexing and lubing too often?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Only if you leave too much lubricant on the cables.
3-Rings are like machine guns in that excessive lubricant will trap dirt in dusty environments ... just like the root of the most recent Aerodyne Service Bulletin.

.... not a good thing to do the 3-rings because of hand oil, I think someone had commented on this related to cast fittings, but I don't believe it would apply to stainless steel in any regard.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Cast fittings?
Cast hardware has never been fashionable for skydiving.

He was probably referring to forged steel hardware with cadmium plating.
The original reason for rotating rings was to detect a soft batch of rings made in the 1980s. Unfortunately - like many religions - skydivers still obssessively and compulsively rotate rings long after the bad batch was scrapped.
You are correct in that excessive compulsive rotating of rings will wear off the cadmium plating, leading to pre-mature rust.
You are also correct that stainless steel hardware will oxidize at a much slower rate.