dhallman2

Anyone wear glasses out there?

well, as if the grey hair didn't let me in on my advancing age i now have to wear glasses. i have tried everything to not wear them: dry eyes won't let me use contacts and my prescription is changing consistently so lasik is not an option yet. are there any good glasses that can be worn with a helmet and hot have them come off. freeflying with a gath hemlet i'm hoping to avoid using goggles. anyone have any good experiences with particular brands? thanks.

I have both goggles and presription Wrap sunnies both work well under an open face.
This has been discussed several time before do a forum search and you find loads of info about specs:)
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Hi D-Hall,
I have 2 eyeballs that have given me fits since I've turned 40!! I've been able to do "just reading glasses" for a number of years than in 2001, it got to the point where I needed the bi-focal kind and I am thankful for the "lineless bifocal" variety!! My eyes weren't "that bad" or so I thought and for a while i just put up with skydiving without them!! Recently though, Iwent ahead and bought a pair of those "Bug Eye" type goggles that fit over your glasses and all is well on the eastern front!!!!!! I accept that my eyes will never be what they were when I was 20 years old!!! However, I'm glad that I can see and my eyes are not worse than they are!!!
One thing that I can say is,"Protect your eyes!!" On a nonchalant 4-way exit on the 28th of Oct 1984, i got wacked in the right eye by my compadre's elbow. On the following Wednesday, the 31st. of Oct, I went for my usual eye exam for my glasses. All was well but the pressure (glacoma) check in my right eye was over 30 mm/hg.!! (left eye was fine only 16 mm/hg ) so the red flag went up!! That was 21 years ago and thank God I can still see!!!!! I see an Opthalmoligist every 6 mos and am currently on 2 different eye drops for glaucoma, xalatan 0.005% and Betoptic S 0.25% in my right eye!! Left eye is fine!! The bottom line is that "I can see!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Shut one or both eyes and go skydive!!!!!:D:D:D Any way, thanks for letting me rant for a while, but please protect your eyes!! They are so precious and vulnerable!!!
SCR-2034, SCS-680

III%,
Deli-out

Since I was having problems "seeing" when to flare
with my bifocals AND had my goggles blown off a couple of times in freefall I finally ordered single vision goggles from Sportrx. They're GREAT! Very comfortable & now I have one less thing to worry about! B|

Old age ain't no place for sissies!

I wouldn't advise getting prescription Oakleys. I really like their lenses (gold iridium), but they suck for freefall. Breakaway hinges are probably nice if you get drilled in the face with a basketball, but they don't cut it for freefall.

I have always jumped with a pair of Solaris goggles (not expensive, about $20 or so?) with my contact lenses in. I also wear glasses but I don't prefer them, so I have never jumped with them.

I did buy a pair of over-glasses goggles at the Sunshine Factory at Z-Hills for $13. They're just flexible plastic with an elastic cord knotted into each side. Very basic. I keep them in my gear bag in case some day I either lose a contact or maybe my eyes get too irritated and I have to resort to the glasses. The goggles'll keep them on.

I used to have, like, amazing vision until I was around 25 or 26. Then I realized stuff was fuzzy, and I got an exam and needed -1.00 glasses. Not much, but enough to make a differense. Now I'm up to -2.00 in each eye, 8 years later. It's not the end of the world.

-Jeffrey
-Jeffrey
"With tha thoughts of a militant mind... Hard line, hard line after hard line!"

I wore goggles over the glasses till I got sick of them, contacts under gators till I lost my contacts, now for the past 100 jumps or so, have been wearing just my normal glasses with some croakies to hold them on. I've found that with my particular set of specs they work in just about every freefall body position (headdown, sit, and belly are fine ) though I do get irritation from wind when i go out for a tracking dive. My lenses are small and fit close to my face, and have no nosepiece to hold them out away from my eyes.

I purchased a pair of 'script sunnies (Killer Loop) that fit great under my Z-1, and when I jump open-face I just wear a pair of regular goggles over them - No worries. When I do wear my regular glasses I'm stuck with the bulky Kroops, though. Hopefully I'll be back to contacts soon.

Easy Does It

Derivative here,

I got some goggles from SportRx. They work pretty well for me. The lenses were ground just a little stronger than my glasses at the time, so my depth perception was off a little on landing. But, after a couple of jumps, I got used to it. The only other thing I would add is that they do fog up, and the foam lining around the frame seems kind of flimsy.

...the dreamers of the day are dangerous men, for they may act their dream with open eyes, and make it possible.
- T.E. Lawrence

First, if your eyes are too dry for contacts, you are not a LASIK candidate. LASIK dries your eyes out significantly more due to severing the corneal innervation.

If you correct your distance vision with LASIK, you will still be blurry for reading (the same as you wearing glasses without the bifocal in them would make you blurry for reading). If you had LASIK for reading, you'd be blurry at distance (try looking through your reading part of your bifocal for distance). The alternative is monovision, one eye corrected for distance, one for near. Not the hottest idea in the world since it compromises depth perception to some degree (the farther past 40, the bigger the difference between the distance and near prescriptions and the more monovision affects depth perception). I don't like monovision in general for this reason, and would not recommend it for jumping.

I would strongly suggest a second opinion on contacts though, since there are a LOT of different contact lenses. I have not had any patients that could not wear contacts at least part time due to comfort. I would suggest getting contacts for jumping only. I have several patients from the DZ that I have fit this way... wearing one day lenses. Put it in the morning you jump, throw it out at night, keep spares in your gear bag 'just in case'. Probably the most convenient way to do things if you don't want full time contact wear.

If you do want full time contact lens wear, consider the PureVision lenses. These are absolutely fantastic for dry eye, extremely comfortable, more O2 transmission than all but one other lens on the market, reasonable cost, and better optics than most other lenses out there. Talk to your doc about these.

If your vision is good at distance (which it might be considering that you only just started wearing glasses full time due to the accumulation of birthdays) you may not need correction at all for distance.

Get a second opionion with a doc that does a lot more contact lens fitting.

Jen

Do or do not, there is no try -Yoda

For years, when lens styles were bigger, I just wore my regular glasses or prescription sunglasses with a sport strap holding them on snugly. No problem. More recently (now that lens sizes are smaller) I got myself a couple of pairs of prescription sport glasses -- the kind that basketball players wear that are held on with the elastic band -- one clear & one tinted. They're great -fit snugly, good eye coverage, fine field of vision. I swear by them now.