katze

design question (pls pls pls!!)

hi guys! this is katze, a student from industrial design.
we have a project (major one) on extreme sport and i chose skydiving.
here's one of the ideas. this is a altimeter glove. there's a thin altimeter mounted on the back of the glove and two extra control buttons on finger tips.
i think this is more convinient compare to present altimeter mounted gloves.
:$i'm very new to this sport so can anyone pls pls give any opinion/suggestionon my idea?
thx x 1000000!!!!!

Instead of using velcro to fasten it consider sewing or mounting a clear pouch right on the back of the glove preshaped to hold the Altimeter. In a funnel (mid air collapse of the formation) I'd hate to lose my $200 Altimeter due to it peeling off. Just make sure to put vent holes to allow tha barometer in the altimeter to read correctly. Item L520070 on
http://www.para-gear.com/templates/base_template.asp?group=4 is basically what I'm thinking of but its shapped for a helmet. Trick is to design a comfortable glove that allows you to mount something like that, but still allows a method of getting the altimeter out for battery changes or the like.But then thats why you are in school. ;)

Also consider moving it more towards the thumb so you don't have to turn your hand so much to get a reading.
Yesterday is history
And tomorrow is a mystery

Parachutemanuals.com

Just make sure to put vent holes to allow tha barometer in the altimeter to read correctly.

Unless the pouch is rigid and airtight, holes are unnecessary. The pressure inside will equal the pressure outside.

Katze:
Tell me again why this altimeter glove is a better arrangement than wearing an altimeter and (optionally) a glove.

And what are the fingertip controls going to do? Will I be able to hold something and still work the controls? Conversely, if I don't want to work the controls, will I still be able to hold something?

Mark

Waycool industries was designing a similar thing for their Hand Cam glove, and slide in pocket with a clear plastic face, that allows you to see clearly the alti, as the camera is pointed at you and your tandem pax. Email Grant at Way Cool if you want to know more
You are not now, nor will you ever be, good enough to not die in this sport (Sparky)
My Life ROCKS!
How's yours doing?

Mounted my Neptune to the back of my Neuman glove with screws and washers. Alti-2 provided a piece of fabric for the inside of the glove that reinforces the hold. It is really convenient and comfortable. I have about 300 jumps on it.

Ed

And one more thing:

Rotate the face of the altimeter 90 degrees so that you can read it like a watch. We read perpendicular to our wrist, not in-line with it.

For a more secure attachment, you could have nuts and bolts going through the glove to a hunk of leather backing on the inside.

i think this one is lighter n more convenient compare to the non-digital one. coz it seems pretty bulky to weari a non-digital altimeter on hand.

n the finger tip control is an additional.....u may lock the function if u dun want to use it.

i may change the location of the control or cancel it.

I probably wouldn't, though I may by gloves that had an altimeter pocket on them. Gloves wear out in a season or two. Altimeters, if you don't break them, last a lifetime. It would be like buying an entire car just to get new seatcovers.

There are several different ways to wear an altimeter. Your's looks fine for digital, but I still like my Alti 3 on a wrist mount.