mikeyst

Main canopy, Diablo?

A Diablo jumper once told me it was basically a Triathlon with tapered corners... ;) but for some reason, it just wasn't a popular canopy.
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

Didnt think to check since its been discontinued. Good info on there. Why was it discontinued?

I have one with about 250 jumps on it. Characteristics:
- Lightning quick turns from full flight.
- It is in the elliptical "class", i.e. it can and will spin up on opening if you aren't careful. I had to chop it once, and came damn close on two other occasions.
- It has a very low aspect ratio, and feels as docile as an accuracy canopy in deep brakes. You can do a deep-braked flat turn at very low altitude and still get a standup landing.
- Very soft openings.

It is a contradiction. On one hand it's opening characteristics and wild turns mean it is not for beginners. On the other hand, it is a very low aspect 7-cell, therefore it has a steep glide and is not competitive for swooping. So there really wasn't much of a market for it.

It's still more fun to bury one toggle on a Diablo than any other canopy I've jumped.;)
"There are only three things of value: younger women, faster airplanes, and bigger crocodiles" - Arthur Jones.

A Diablo jumper once told me it was basically a Triathlon with tapered corners... Wink but for some reason, it just wasn't a popular canopy.

WAAAAY incorrect. I jumped a Diablo at 1.8 for a while. It is a rocket. The snappiest canopy I've ever flown. HArd diving. Lots of oversteer. Extremely high performance canopy. The ONLY thing I didn't like was the lack of bottom end.

I fly a xf2 97 at 2:1.. My diablo110 was much faster in the turns and dove harder.

If they made a crossbraced, airlocked diablo I would switch today ;)

I recommend you get a little experiance the diablo is fast turning ouick flying canopy.I use one loaded at 0.945 .It opens soft but takes a long time to open if you are not in a good belly to earth position it will spin in the blink of an eye. If you want a fast fun canopy to fly and land the diablo is fine. It was discontinued because of the glide path it was to short people liked the 9 cell better

the lack of bottom end?

The canopy stops quickly. Sometimes flares don't produce nearly the same lift as other canopies. Swoop is roughly half as long as a comparable crossfire.

I have about 7 or 8 jumps on one and that was exactly what I noticed. Not enough lift at the very end of the flare. Some people love them though. Otherwise it is a fun canopy to fly.

How do ya like it Johnny?

I have about 7 or 8 jumps on one and that was exactly what I noticed. Not enough lift at the very end of the flare. Some people love them though. Otherwise it is a fun canopy to fly.

That could have it's advantages. Like jumping into a tight dropzone. That thing flies through chop like you would not believe. I absolutely loved my Diablo. If I could get one with airlocks I would be in love! ;)