husky

It takes more balls...

Two weeks ago I overheard an instructor @ Perris giving someone an ass chewing for doing a somersault out of a 3000' H&P. Then, when he found out the guy only had an A license (albeit with 150 jumps), he gave him more shit for even doing a 3000' H&P in the 1st place. A's and B's are supposed to be in the saddle by 3K. Like I said, this is just what I observed.

It is actually not written as "In the saddle" it is container opening altitude. See below fro USPA BSR's:

Minimum container opening altitudes above the ground for skydivers are:

1. Tandem jumps--4,500 feet AGL
2. All students and A-license holders--3,000 feet AGL
3. B-license holders--2,500 feet AGL
4. C- and D-license holders--2,000 feet AGL

So in the situation noted as long as the "A" license jumper pitched his chute quick out the door I would interpert it that he would be fine under the BSR's. Being "B" qualified really should not be looked at I guess but looking at it from the point of view of a 2500' min opening altitude you should be able to do a couple of flips get stable do a turn and still open the container before 2500' (IMHO) ..

Now looking at it from the point of view that the opening altitudes are given for a terminal opening your much better off going out low from a plane then pitching at the same altitude at terminal. Look at a 2000' exit. Terminal to the ground is approx 11 sec away. Same altitude from an exit is about 16 -17 sec away.... Which is safer??

$0.02 tossed in from me.... oh well its not worth much with inflation..

Scott C.

edited to add, DAMN DAVE BEAT ME TO IT!!
"He who Hesitates Shall Inherit the Earth!"

Two weeks ago I overheard an instructor @ Perris giving someone an ass chewing for doing a somersault out of a 3000' H&P. Then, when he found out the guy only had an A license (albeit with 150 jumps), he gave him more shit for even doing a 3000' H&P in the 1st place. A's and B's are supposed to be in the saddle by 3K. Like I said, this is just what I observed.

Wow what an ass(the instructor). Not only does he bitch someone out for not having the proper letter to perform a stunt, but he gets it wrong too.

My first ever jump was a SL hop and pop from 3k.

Usually at around 20-40 jumps.

Note to less experienced people: doing a hop n pop at 2500ft is very different to dumping at 2500ft at terminal velocity. In the first instance it takes ~10sec to reach 1500ft; in the latter it takes but 5.

When I teach jumpers (not out of airplanes), I almost always take them out at least once in bad conditions, then wait for them to make the call to back off. I think it's good mental practice, and it also gives me the opportunity to reinforce the "backing down is a good call" mentality.

What's that old saying? Something about "I'd rather be on the ground wishing I was in the air..."
-- Tom Aiello

[email protected]
SnakeRiverBASE.com

Wouldn't the canopy open quicker at terminal than for a hop/pop?

I asked this question once... into saddle

The consensus was that it may take more time for the canopy to open but you lose less altitude because of the forward speed of the aircraft and the lack of vertical speed.
Livin' on the Edge... sleeping with my rigger's wife...

you lose less altitude because of the forward speed of the aircraft and the lack of vertical speed.

I didn't major in physics but I'm pretty sure the rate of downward acceleration (i.e., the rate at which you lose altitude) is unaffected by the forward speed of the aircraft; you accelerate earthward at the same rate no matter whether you're in a forward-moving aircraft or a stationary balloon. Any engineers out there want to weigh in on this?

The rate at which you lose altitude is not accelaration, that is velocity. Acceleration is the rate at which velocity changes.

If you start at zero downward velocity, you will fall less distance in x number of seconds compared to someone starting at terminal velocity during the same number of seconds.
People are sick and tired of being told that ordinary and decent people are fed up in this country with being sick and tired. I’m certainly not, and I’m sick and tired of being told that I am

you lose less altitude because of the forward speed of the aircraft and the lack of vertical speed.

I didn't major in physics but I'm pretty sure the rate of downward acceleration (i.e., the rate at which you lose altitude) is unaffected by the forward speed of the aircraft; you accelerate earthward at the same rate no matter whether you're in a forward-moving aircraft or a stationary balloon. Any engineers out there want to weigh in on this?

I'm not an engineer, but I did camp out on a DZ over the weekend....

And forward speed opens parachutes just as well as downward speed. I have some nasty bruises on my arms from doing just that in a wingsuit over the weekend.

[I didn't major in physics but I'm pretty sure the rate of downward acceleration (i.e., the rate at which you lose altitude) is unaffected by the forward speed of the aircraft; you accelerate earthward at the same rate no matter whether you're in a forward-moving aircraft or a stationary balloon. Any engineers out there want to weigh in on this?

Actually you will drop faster when you have no forward speed, such as out of a balloon, than when leaving an aircraft with horizontal speed. This is due to drag coupling.