Dmoney

Senior Project for Highschool

Hey, my names Derek and I'm from Rhode Island and in order to graduate our school requires us to do a senior project, I could go through all the details but that doesn't really matter.

Basically for my senior project I want to do a live jump. I'll only be 17 at the time so I'll still need parental permission and when I told my mom I wanted to skydive she kind of shook her head and told me to get her some more information on it. So if you guys could help me with some questions itd be really helpful. I know some answers will vary so just try to give an accurate estimate.
1) How much will the training cost?
2) How much will the jump cost?
3) How many hours of training are required before you can take the test to see if theyll allow you to jump?
4) Just any information you can share about your jumping experience.

Thanks guys.

so what will the project be, exactly?

Learning a recreational activity and doing it may be fun, but is that the intent of the 'senior project?'

If you find a place that will accept a minor for AFF (almost no chance finding one that will do tandem), it's a full day 6+ hours of training, followed by the jump if weather conditions permit. Otherwise as soon as the next morning. Roughly $300 for that one jump.

The project is very loose when it comes to the restrictions. I have to have a mentor (Whoever is teaching the jump class). It has to be legal. I need parental permission. I have to have an arguable thesis about my topic/experience. I think this would work, ive seen projects where people learned yoga, an instrument, or done bungi jumping. Even if I don't end up doing it as my project I can do it for fun if the dropzones around me allow it.

Well, a good start would be a hypothesis, wouldn't it?

If bungee jumping met the requirements, then it could be as simple as - what happens if I fall out the door?

I'd like to see a bit more of a point to it though. There's a smidgeon of physics knowledge to be learned, but not all that relevent to the first jump.

All a moot point if there isn't a DZ nearby that will accept 16 and 17 yos. Or if Mom isn't happy about the risk it entails.

OK, Derek, here's the deal: if you wind up doing this, you attach your final paper to a link and post that link up here for all of us to read. We want to see a proper academic study: a hypothesis, a thesis, and analysis and a conclusion.

There's also a touch of irony: you'll get to buy beer for the DZ, but you won't get to drink it.

But first you better get Mom's permission.

We get similar questions on here quite often. You'll find people are always happy to help out and you'll get a load of great ideas and help with your project... but you gotta give us somewhere to start. What are you trying to prove/show/study??

Or is that where you want help? Do you want ideas on what you might be able to focus on? Even then though give us an idea of how extensive this project is going to be... or we might just come up with topics which require several years to look into :P

hey! we live in r.i. too. my brother's gonna be 16 and i am taking him 2 do a couple of tandems 4 his b-day. i've been researching where he can jump. so far, i've found a couple.

clevelandparachute.com in ohio

saratogaskydiving.com in new york

jumpraeford.com in north carolina

i'm sure there's a few more on the east coast. there's also a bunch more out west.

make sure to contact the DZ about the requirements!

blue skies......
Those Who Dance are Considered Insane...........
.........By Those Who Cannot Hear the Music