Superman32

ProTrack and ProTec

I've just got the ProTrack and I have the a Protec helmet. After a search on the subject I found that lots of people mount the alti inside the protec.
The manual mentions that for the most accurate log recording the unit should be mounted on the leg where it gets the most clean air.
I definitely want to use it as an audible as well as a log recorder. Are there draw backs of mounting it inside the helmet as opposed to outside?
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!

The problem with having your ProTrack inside your helmet is that when you move your head around the change in pressure can confuse it a bit. For the purposes of logging jumps or getting average speeds or freefall times that doesn't really matter. But if you're doing something like speed skydiving and you want to download the data to look at the speed/time graph it can be a bit 'screwy', ie you'll get a 'cleaner' graph with the ProTrack mounted on your leg than mounted in the helmet.

In short: mount it in the helmet.

Gus
OutpatientsOnline.com

To be better able to hear it, mount in inside the helmet, with the front facing the outside -- the little speaker is on the back, so that should be facing your year.

You can stick your finger through the hole over the ear to turn it on. My proDytter worked that way until I bought a new helmet, for unrelated reasons. And I heard it just fine with earplugs in.

Wendy W.
There is nothing more dangerous than breaking a basic safety rule and getting away with it. It removes fear of the consequences and builds false confidence. (tbrown)

INSIDE, INSIDE, INSIDE...

The inaccuracy you'll find between inside and outside your helmet is insiginficant. You don't worry about your Cypres being exposed to open air, do you?

I lost a ProTrack to riser slap, and another to a cracked LCD screen. MUCH to L&B's credit, they provided me with free replacements (ROCK ON L&B). Having it inside the protec will protect it from both riser slap and the occasional drop, and will make it easier to hear, as mentioned above...

Elvisio "been there done that have sweatstains on the T-shirt" Rodriguez

I used to wear mine on the inside of my pro-tec, secured to the helmet by 3 elastic bands tied together (the middle band goes on the outside, feed the top and bottom bands through the holes and put your pro-track - or neptune or whatever - in the 2 loops on the inside), this way I wouldn't drop it when walking back to the hangar etc.

ciel bleu,
Saskia

I've just got the ProTrack and I have the a Protec helmet. After a search on the subject I found that lots of people mount the alti inside the protec.
The manual mentions that for the most accurate log recording the unit should be mounted on the leg where it gets the most clean air.
I definitely want to use it as an audible as well as a log recorder. Are there draw backs of mounting it inside the helmet as opposed to outside?

One easy way to protect a Pro-Track or a Neptune, when you install them on a Pro-Tec helmet, is to buy a couple of 1/2 moon drawer handle at your hardware store. You may have to bend the handles a little, though, so they'll fit nicely over the audible. Your risers will never knock your Pro-Track off of your helmet again. Hope this helps. :)
Yves

Attached are photos of how I have mine mounted in my Protec helmet. It fits snugly inside the foam padding around the ear hole, so you just pop it in there, and really don't have to do anything special. This puts the speaker right next to your ear so you can always hear it (pay attention to up-or-down orientation).

I worried about it falling out somewhere and getting lost while the helmet was laying around, so I used some stick-on velcro and put a thin strip on the top edge of the Protrack, which mates with the opposite velcro piece stuck on the inside of the helmet. That has done a great job of preventing accidental fall-out. And you can still pop it out easily with your fingers by pushing on it from the outside through the ear hole, so that you can turn it on at the beginning of the day, or to look at your data.

Put your name on the Protrac, so that if it does fall out somewhere, an honest finder can return it to its rightful owner.

Photo 1: View from outside
Photo 2: View of inside
Photo 3: velcro setup

P.S. Yeah, I know my custom fabric covering over my foam is getting kind of ratty-looking... :$

I just mounted it this weekend -- I have a zip tie attached to the holding bracket and the protrack in its holder with the rubber band around it.
They must have changed the bracket because it seems very secure and actually a little difficult to remove it.
This set up does place the speaker away from my ear, but I taped the ear holes with electrical tape and I'm able to hear it just fine.
Inveniam Viam aut Faciam
I'm back biatches!