EDYDO

Skydiving Aircraft Pilots

I used the Garmin GPS III Pilot. Bought it for 700 back in 97. I used it to spot the 300-way attempts at SDC in 1998. It worked great. It's a tool. It can't tell you when to put the green light on but if you understand drift it is a great moving map "bomb site".

I'd recomend it or it's bigger cousin (think it's called 195) to anyone. It's a black and grey display.

Took 4 AA batteries. Energizers would last me a day and a half. (40 plus loads). I bought rechargables and saved a bunch of money. I also have the power adapter and the otters now have power receptacles.

One phrase: Love it.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

I used the Garmin GPS III Pilot. Bought it for 700 back in 97. I used it to spot the 300-way attempts at SDC in 1998. It worked great. It's a tool. It can't tell you when to put the green light on but if you understand drift it is a great moving map "bomb site".

I'd recomend it or it's bigger cousin (think it's called 195) to anyone. It's a black and grey display.

Took 4 AA batteries. Energizers would last me a day and a half. (40 plus loads). I bought rechargables and saved a bunch of money. I also have the power adapter and the otters now have power receptacles.

One phrase: Love it.

I just bought a Garmin GPSMAP96 which is cheaper than the 195 (smaller display) but has essentially the same functionality. It is Really Easy to set a waypoint (such as a spot) right on the map display. Also it has all the GPS approaches from the Jeppeson database programmed in.

The only sure way to survive a canopy collision is not to have one.

If you're looking for a small & cheap spotting solution, you might want to look into this. I got an eTrex Vista for hiking and found the Jumpmaster accessory while doing a firmware upgrade a while back. Haven't tried it in the air, but it looks simple enough. The downside is that you can't use an aviation database with this unit.

For normal flying, I use a Garmin 196. I'd recommend a unit with an aviation database if you're going to be traveling much, but for a stationary operation, the Vista might work fine. Good luck with it.

Lance

Make that two votes for the Garmin III Pilot. They can be had these days for $400-$500 brand new and as low as $300 used.

They are small, so they don't clutter up the yoke or windshield. The display, while not the largest, is easy to read, and allows for vertical or horizontal orientation. All the data fields are customizable so you can display the exact information you need.

I use the HSI mode exclusively and I display the off-course deviation, distance to, time to, and groundspeed in the data fields.

The only thing the database does not have compared to the more expensive aviation handhelds are instrument approaches, but it is very quick and easy to set up to "monitor" existing ground-based approaches, and with a little preparation, you can program stand alone gps approaches into it manually.

Rechargeables or a lighter plug are the way to go.

Anyone know what Mike Mullins uses to spot with in the King Air? Although I think he has some zen magic thing going on, and can prolly do it without any avionics assistance!

It's definately a zen magic thing!:)
Judy
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.