Hummusx

Stuck toggles - mal or not?

quicker to take a wrap of the break line

Agree, it's quicker, but IMO less comfortable (see the Skip's post) so if I'll be able to stow toggle acceptable fast - I'll prefer to proceed with both togles stowed...
Why drink and drive, if you can smoke and fly?

Agree, it's quicker, but IMO less comfortable (see the Skip's post) so if I'll be able to stow toggle acceptable fast - I'll prefer to proceed with both togles stowed...

It's dificult to restow a toggle in flight. Tension on the brake line closes the cats eye loop you're trying to stick the toggle through. Given limited time to fix a problem before landing. . . choose wisely.

Given the scenario as described, if I had to land with one stuck toggle I would take a wrap of the break line.

_Am
__

You put the fun in "funnel" - craichead.

Chopping lets me get repacked in a few hours, cutting the brake line and landing my main means my main is out a few days at least for repairs.

bulshit, a brake line take much less time than it does to repack a reserve. cheaper too. if your dropzone doesn't have spare brakelines then buy some. i always ask for a spare set and a tshirt when i order a lineset and i get them for free(nz aerosports/icarus)

i could replace a brakeline in two turbine loads.;)

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, then the world will see peace." - 'Jimi' Hendrix

I'm not chopping a main unless keeping it seems likely to kill or seriously injure me. Rule #1 on every jump is always saving your life, which means getting (or keeping) a survivable canopy over your head. Reserves are dependable, but they're never 100% guaranteed, and they're always your last chance at staying alive. When my main deploys less-than-perfect but still seems survivable and flyable, I ride it down and do the PLF.

I had my left toggle lock in slight brakes on opening. It caused the canopy pull slightly to the left (no spinning). It was easily offset by finding the neutral point with my right toggle and steering/landing on rear risers with a PLF. I'd never landed on my rears before, but I'd practiced steering with them and flaring them.

http://www.dropzone.com/cgi-bin/forum/gforum.cgi?do=post_reply_write;parent_post_id=1671957

A few people have said this already, but I just want to repeat. Landing using rears and landing using rears with one toggle stowed are two very different things. I am not saying you can't do it, but I am saying it isn't as easy as you may think. I had a friend a few years ago that landed using rears with a stuck toggle. I would tell you to ask him about it, but he died in the hospital a few hours later.

-OK
Time flies like an arrow....fruit flies like a banana

I contemplated landing with just the brake lines or rears when one time I found after a birdman jump my toggles wouldn't unstow at first. Turned out my packer had looped the slack (I lengtened my brakelines so there's a lot) around the keeper tape a couple times, instead of folding it in :S[:/]

Usually I set my own brakes, but for some reason didn't that jump.

I had opened high so had some time, because of the very high winds (I spend my entire wingsuit jump from 16 k to 5k above the freeway, widthwise!) I didn't really want to chop it.

I got first one then both my brakes yanked loose (the tape got yanked all out of shape but it stayed on) before my decision altitude so I'll never know, but right now I'd prolly not chop, and not cut the lines either. However I'd then like some wind to land into... ;) and preferably both brakes should be stuck ;)

ciel bleu,
Saskia

Wow no way I wouldnt even think about cutting away in that situation as long as the canpoy was flying straight. Ive only done 8 jumps but I do fly a bit slow stupid manta so I imagine that would be pretty easy to land on risers. I guess if I was flying a 1:1.3 eliptical I would probably answer differently lol!

J

I guess if I was flying a 1:1.3 eliptical

Any reason that came out - not a 1:1.2, not a 1:1.4, but 1:1.3:P

You aren't shopping so soon are you?

Driving is a one dimensional activity - a monkey can do it - being proud of your driving abilities is like being proud of being able to put on pants

Wow no way I wouldnt even think about cutting away in that situation as long as the canpoy was flying straight.

Next time you are under canopy, unstow one toggle and leave the other stowed. Let me know if your canopy is flying straight.

Haha no im not it was just a random higher ratio than I jump. And I think if one toggle was stuck I would put the other one back on its velcro lol lol. then im fairly sure it WOULD fly straight. Anyway my point was i would be more worried about cutting away than attempting a rear riser landing.

J

Putting the other toggle back in the velcro would not make the canopy fly straight unless you managed to properly stow the other other break. That means pulling the cats eye past the ring and resetting the toggle through it then putting it back on the velcro. That is a task that is not as easy as you think. Try it under canopy up high sometime.

I had a friend a few years ago who had around 1600 jumps. He had just done over 35 jumps that week, so he was super current. He was jumping a Sabre 135 loaded at around 1.3:1. He had one brake line get stuck and the other unstow. He decided he could land it by flying with the risers and compensating on one side for the stuck brake. He flew it no problem until it came time to land it. He hit the ground so hard he died a few hours later in the hospital. If he would have gone to his reserve, most would agree he would be alive today.

I'm new to the sport, don't have my A yet. Maybe that means I'll remember my training more clearly. My ground instructor said to look for several things.

1. Canopy is big and square.
2. Slider came down.
3. Canopy can be controllable.

Being as I wouldn't be comfortable trying to land with rear risers, I'd say it falls under #3 and chop it.
The flying hamster of doom rains coconuts upon your pitiful city.

And I think if one toggle was stuck I would put the other one back on its velcro lol lol. then im fairly sure it WOULD fly straight.

in flight rigging is something that i would never try
IMHO if I cant land it as it is I will use the other one

"be honest with yourself. Why do I want to go smaller? It is not going to make my penis longer." ~Brian Germain, on downsizing

Really, I didnt think that would be that hard to do, I will try that next time I am up incase I ever have to do it. Thanks for suggesting it, I am learning constantly on this forum lol! Sorry to hear about your friend. As I said on a highers wingloading/higher performance canopy my decision would probably be to chop.

J

A few people have said this already, but I just want to repeat. Landing using rears and landing using rears with one toggle stowed are two very different things. I am not saying you can't do it, but I am saying it isn't as easy as you may think. I had a friend a few years ago that landed using rears with a stuck toggle. I would tell you to ask him about it, but he died in the hospital a few hours later.

Ouch. At this point I'm not even sure I'd be able to land on rears 'normally' as I don't know that I could get an even flare - I find a left rear riser turn much harder than a right one and there's a good chance I'd end up doing a right turn into the ground [:/] Definitely for newbie me, I'd chop.
Skydiving: wasting fossil fuels just for fun.