SFBayArea

Advanced canopy training video?

Wonder if anyone can refer me to a link for advanced canopy videos?
I've been looking on the web, and either ask wrong questions or it does not exist on things like youtube and such.

Before you flame me for learning from internet rather then local DZ, I want to say that I will be going through the advanced canopy class (when one available at DZ). However, for now I would at least like to know what is possible so I can be more educated when I take that class.

Thanks.

If by advanced you mean high performance landings, then no such videos exist. There are lots of great swooping videos of various events but you will not find HP landing instructional material in video. The Parachute and it's Pilot by Brian Germain is the most informative material that has been published on the subject, the rest you will need to seek advice and coaching from instructors, coaches and the proficient pilots you meet at the dropzone.

DSE has some stuff:

Click here

Not sure of what your looking for. I mean there is all of the big on line places like Chuting star, paragear, and that nice lady in DeLand, etc, etc.....

I will say this there really isn't a lot of really nice video instruction for free on Utube. There is some stuff but nothing like some of the vids / dvd that are for sale.

If your taking some courses take good notes because much of what they show for visual aids, they don't give out. I mean for self reference after the course, something about others stealing their work, which I don't fully understand....The value is the course right??? Not the PPT slide show???

C

Axis has some very nice work and lots to see on their site, but not sure about how much is canopy related....

If you do find something on the internet could yo post it????

Good luck.
But what do I know, "I only have one tandem jump."

I agree with ya, it's cause, I suspect, they want to make money. Just pay attention to the Flight -1 courses they have you starting at basically the biggining, kind of like redoing the B lic canopy prof card. But better. But it is a prerequisite as far as I know of before thay let you move on...

C

[:/]

SFBayArea

Will definitely post something if I find it, but so far nothing serious.
The paid DVDs are way tooo much, they are priced at the same price as the actual class. Wonder why that is.

This is not a pro or con statement on the videos, as I've never looked at them, but I really am curious where you can find a canopy control class for $89. Most are 5 jumps + some cost for classroom instruction/video/debriefing. 5 jumps alone (even hop & pops) runs more than $89 at most dropzones.

That said, I think you're likely to get more bang for your buck from an in-person class and in the meantime, buy and read Brian's book.
"There is only one basic human right, the right to do as you damn well please. And with it comes the only basic human duty, the duty to take the consequences." -P.J. O'Rourke

Greg Windmiller was charging around 100.00 for a day with him, or close too that amount, might be a little less can't remember.

Well worth it. :)
Flight - 1 is charging what, and somebody correct me if I'm wrong, 180.00 for the intro class??

C

I don't think any of them include lift tickets....

At the moment Flight-1 classes are $130 per person, with a minimum of 4 people.

On a side note there are some exciting changes coming to Flight-1, our available courses, and where/how you can enter the program where it's relevant to you.

Stay tuned.
Ian
Performance Designs Factory Team

ianmdrennan

At the moment Flight-1 classes are $130 per person, with a minimum of 4 people.

On a side note there are some exciting changes coming to Flight-1, our available courses, and where/how you can enter the program where it's relevant to you.

Stay tuned.
Ian

Anyone want to take on why class participants can't take home the presentation? I mean for the class they paid for??

I can understand wanting to protect your work and all, but I don't think the efforts to protect your work will ultimitly hurt you guys in the long run, if the material gets out....

and yes I know the web site has the record and milestones there...

C

Sorry, but there's a ton of work in the power points, and we have no intention of handing them out. I can understand your desire, but attending the class is in no way paying for the PowerPoint, but instead the information presented therein as well as the 8 hr day of videoing landings and doing debriefs.

Participants are free to take whatever notes they'd like, as well as reference the website, and are always free to take their videos for the day so they can take them home and study them.

As always thank you for supporting our program. We believe its the most comprehensive one available. Look forward to seeing you in more classes soon.

blues!
ian

If your taking some courses take good notes because much of what they show for visual aids, they don't give out. I mean for self reference after the course, something about others stealing their work, which I don't fully understand....The value is the course right??? Not the PPT slide show???

When you pay to see a movie in a theatre, do you expect to get a copy of the movie as part of the deal?
The choices we make have consequences, for us & for others!

GLIDEANGLE

When you pay to see a movie in a theatre, do you expect to get a copy of the movie as part of the deal?

Ya know that's not a bad idea. What with some movies costing 12 bucks and all.

On the other hand If I wait 6 weeks I can buy the DVD to take home with me to study and watch over and over again.

C

And that's a lot of note taking by the way. What your suggesting is a choice between taking notes from the media presented or listening to the presenter. I want the whole package, just so that in case you only get one jump in and the course isn't taught again till a year later, unless you want to travel. And then there is the subject if there is a considerable length of time in between courses, what you don't want a participant siting in to watch or listen in unless they pay the course fee again??? And that's fair???

:)

I am in no way making comments about the quality of your most excellent courses! I am pointing out I think you guys are being stingy with the presentation and written material and that for more effective learning and retention, I'd like the stuff to look at later in the convenience of my own home. And I certainly disagree that we have one year to "just" take the eval jumps only and not a repeat of the lecture and course. I certainly forget some stuff over time. And without the coaching as well, pictures of my landings just are not the same as the whole immersive experience.

I get your point and understand your concerns but from the students perspective you guys have made a choice to protect your material at the potential cost in learning for the participants. You guys yourselves have pointed out as much when you have admitted that a lot of work went into making them. So in a sense there is the value that you don't want to share.

I get your point and understand your concerns but from the students perspective you guys have made a choice to protect your material at the potential cost in learning for the participants.

I disagree. Regardless, we have no intentions of changing our policy regarding the powerpoints at this time.

Nonetheless, thanks for your feedback.

Blues,
Ian