slotperfect

A Tandem With My Mom

My Dad passed away in September, and after a brief and thorough period of mourning my Mom began getting accustomed to her new circumstances. She could have moped, been depressed, and lived in the past . . . rather she chose to experience life in the world in new and different ways. She went to Europe (England) for the first time in March with very close friends, and just returned from Peru two weeks ago (even closer friends).

Then last Saturday she came to Raeford to make a tandem with me! B| It was definitely the highlight of my tandem career thus far. She is 75, so I had been a little nervous about it prior to jump day. Once that day arrived though, I was quite relaxed and enjoyed it almost as much as she did!

She said it was an over-the-top experience, and commented about the obvious camaraderie that skydivers share. She was very appreciative of the way everyone included her in that, especially on the ride to altitude. Our only difficulty being a practice exit in the mockup! :S

I want to thank Tony Thacker (TonyT) for the gracious Raeford hospitality, and Arvel Shults (BlueSBDeath) for the crafty camerawork. You :ph34r:s made her experience a special one, and I greatly appreciate it!

My only regret is that I let her get away without buying her case of beer! :$
Arrive Safely

John

John,

It was my pleasure to jump with you both!!

I could see the FEAR in her face, yet the confidence in her eyes as you two got to the door. I know she had a great time and I am proud you let me be a part of it. Congratulations!!!

Thanks for sharing your special experience with me.

Arvel
BSBD...........Its all about Respect,

USPA#-7062, FB-2197, Outlaw 499

My mom started supporting my jumping after 35 years. I don't expect her to go as far as to actually make a jump, but I am forwarding the pix to her.

Between you and Arvel, she was in the best of hands. Congratulations to all of you!!!

Ed

In almost every tandem vid I have seen there is about a 10sec delay after exit before the ear to ear grin breaks out.

Thats because thats normaly how long it takes to get to terminal velocity and the wind stretches their skin back into a smile! :D:P

Be safe.
Ed
www.WestCoastWingsuits.com
www.PrecisionSkydiving.com

I have had the opertunity to do a tandem with my mom and my mother inlaw.

Both experiences where fantastic and both ladies want to do more again soon.

But what is cooler is the way the yhave been eable to experience some thing with me and understand my enjoyment of it (kind of rare whe nwe all where a bit yunger, remember your teens!;))

Matt
An Instructors first concern is student safety.
So, start being safe, first!!!

That is so cool! I love the pic of you kissing the top of her head in freefall - :)

I'm with Deuce - I'm jealous. My dad always wanted to jump, and never got the chance. Your mom will always have that special moment in time (and space!) with you.

Fly on!

That is really cool =) What awesome pictures! I'm taking my first jump in a couple days... just a little bit nervous... and this thread is really inspiring me!!!

"Most people go through life wondering if they’ve made a difference. Marines don’t have that problem."