dekac99

Waiting

Hi,

Just wanted to check something with you. I have started my PFF course a month ago. I have spent 5 days at the DZ I was able to do only level 1 & 2 jumps. I wasted three days waiting for the jump even I made a reservatyion. Is this something that is common at all DZs (in Canada/Ontario) or should I start looking for another DZ? I understand that they want tandems to go first, but making an reservation 3 dayse in advance, comming to the DZ, waiting for the jump all day without anyboody saying anything and not jump is unaccesptible, don't you think so? Am I right or what?

Any reply would be greatly appreciated.

Blue skies,

Dekac

If the weather was good, the plane was getting full altitude, and the winds were less than what the DZ lets students jump, often 14MPH.... Then, you should not have had to wait without some explanation or good customer service... If your reservation was bumped for a walk-in tandem, then the DZ has it's priorities upside down, often called a tandem-mill... They should honor reservations weather permitting... But again, tandems can go when students can't because of weather, so make sure you know why...

You might have to go out of your way to remind the office staff you are still there, but they should go out of their way to get you jumping or at least in communication with instructors once you show your smiling face...

If you don't jump, they should clearly explain to you why.... After all, when not to jump is a very important training lesson....

So, that being said, if you went out of your way to make sure they knew you were there and not just hiding in the corner, and they did not clearly communicate back to you - find another DZ in my opinion.... If you were a bit shy, give it another try before moving on...

There is a saying in skydiving "hurry up and wait"

Come check out skydive burnaby we have a twin otter and most of our students move through their progession pretty fast.

www.skydiveburnaby.com/home.html
One must ensure that his or her spirit is never broken......Samurai Maxim

Thanks for the replys. The weather was ok, I let the manifest people that I ahve arrived. Also the instructors were ell aware that I am there, I was sitting next to them and said hello. And yes I did my 64 jumps with rounds long time ago (15 yrs to be precise) :P
Don't get me wrong, I like hanging around DZ, but having a wife and two small kids I cannot afford waisting all day and not jump. If I do not jump then I do not have an excuse for my wife ;) . Also to go there I rent a car (I do not own one since my work is near and it's cheaper to rent it when neede than to buy it) and if I didn't jump I wasted money too.
I was thinking of going to Niagara Skydive but not sure.

In my experience a student that wants to jump often needs push to get on loads or maybe I should say be very direct. Obviously I wasn't there so I don't know how you presented to manifest, but sometimes patience is not a virtue and its the squeaky wheel that gets the grease. B|

There is a difference between letting manifest know you are there and walking up and saying "When can I get on a load with my instructor?". If they don't schedule your jump then asking "when should I check back?" and being there on time to check back is good so you can say "Well you said I should check back at this time, so when can I get on a load?" (:)Be nice always - people like nice people!)

I'm not faulting manifest - it ain't an easy job. But I know people that come out and hang at the dropzone and don't make many jumps and they are happy this way. You need to differentiate yourself from the people that hang out and make sure they know you're eager.

Get in their faces (in a nice way) and they'll get you on a load.:)
"Where troubles melt like lemon drops, away above the chimney tops, that's where you'll find me" Dorothy

Yes, follow Ian's advice.
Pleasantly, but firmly remind manifest of your appointment.
Ask instructors specific questions about wind (hint: the book says maximum 14 knots for students) and clouds.

WHEN you schedule your PFF jumps can make a big difference too.
For example - at Pitt Meadows - weekend mornings are usually quiet, a great time for PFF, but the tandem hoards arrive around noon and dominate the airplane until late afternoon or early evening.
PFF students who arrive at 09:00 get the un-divided attention of instructors and usually have one or two jumps before noon.
Weekday mornings are an even better time to do PFF.

If the problem persists, take the owner aside.
Remind him of how many times his staff has let your appointments slip and how you are getting tired of this practice.
If they bump you again, threaten to take you money to Niagara Skydive Center.
The third time they bump you - in favor of tandems - take your money to Niagara Skydive Center, where you can have lots of fun jumping with Tim and Javier and Bryce, etc. from their shiny Cessna 182 and King Air.

:)
Skydive Burnaby is a fine choice.
You may also feel welcome to visit Frontier Skydivers www.frontierskydivers.com in Western New York. we are approx 18 miles east and slightly north of N Falls... off NYS route 104
( Cross at Queenstown- Lewiston Bridge) We have many members from Toronto..... twin otter, large private airport, really nice people, fun times.... I have not heard of "Niagara Skydive"... please tell me more.. Location? days of operation lift rates etc.... thanks :) jimmy

I sure will give them a few weekends before I decide what to do next. When I contacted them and asked about PFF course they said I could do it in a few weekends[:/] Niagara Skydive is located at Dunnville, Ontario

Thank you all for your suggestions. I really appreciate it.

Dekac

... making an reservation 3 dayse in advance, comming to the DZ, waiting for the jump all day without anyboody saying anything and not jump...

Find another DZ. Encourage others to do the same. No one should be keeping this kind of customer service afloat.
AMDG

... making an reservation 3 dayse in advance, comming to the DZ, waiting for the jump all day without anyboody saying anything and not jump...

Find another DZ. Encourage others to do the same. No one should be keeping this kind of customer service afloat.

Reading their websight[:/] The dude is in the wrong place for what he wants to. Start jumping again, not just making a trophy Tandem ride.

First time shame on them second time shame on you. What's going to happen if he ever gets thru their program[:/] Do solo's or watch tandems.

Remember when you were dateing and the other person didn't show up? They could have canceled but took the easy way out for them. The message is the same.

R.I.P.

Go somewhere that is fun-jumper friendly - not a tandem factory.

I agree with this & the other posts saying you should go elsewhere (unless you've already down-paid your money >:( ) You should be treated like a valued customer and a brother jumper, but that's clearly not happening. Cross the border & go to Frontier. They're a great club-operated DZ and will make you feel welcome, always.

I did a couple of Tandems at SWOOP and have friends that jump there.. good times.. but I don't think they are insanely busy w/ fun jumpers.

check out skydivegan.com

It's a bit of a drive, but the majority of our instructors and regulars drive 2 or more hours from T.O. or Montreal every weekend to be there. Not to mention our pilots. There has got to be some reason they do it. And that reason is that our dz is just a wicked place to hang out and do alot of jumps. Ask the fun jumpers around there.. they know us.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson