katzurki

The Canopy You Fly

Lately I have been hoping for a premature deployment in an aircraft for that reason.

You should have asked me to help... I could have IADed you during the 100 ways....

:D
"Mediocre people don't like high achievers, and high achievers don't like mediocre people." - SIX TIME National Champion coach Nick Saban

It's been a slow winter. I might update it tomorrow, then again I might not. I'm just so unsure of when I'm going to update it... It's not that I don't have the time, I just don't have the motivation. Think of me as an actor, and you as the director. The scene is to update my profile, now what's my motivation?

Lately I have been hoping for a premature deployment in an aircraft for that reason.

Damn you Bill!! I just about choked on my coffee on that one...
seriously!>:(:D

If you see me in the loading area with a roll of duct tape, it'll be for your handles and pin flaps.

G. Jones

"I've never been quarantined. But the more I look around, the more I think it might not be a bad idea."

If Sang had the time I'd imagine he could do some real interesting results like this poll based off our profiles. Take users who've visited in the last xx months, canopy type, wl, jump numbers, etc.

Maybe even turn it into a dynamic script with selectable fields for dz.com members who want to see what the avg wl for saber 2's or average jump numbers of those flying them.

I fly a lightning mostly, and absolutly LOVE it!!!! Of course, most people don't. And yes I do know people who freefall with lightnings:P

My freefall canopy is a Triathalon Hybrid, and that's a good flying canopy as well. Of course I'm a fan of 7 cell canopies:)
CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

So do you think I'm flying my stilleto beyond my ability if I choose to use a Parafoil for Paraski or a PD Lightening for BiDiCReW?

:D

t

Are you comfortable landing off the dz under your stilleto? Can you handle heavy traffic with it?

Maybe the get-back-itis incidents have something to do with people not comfortable landing their canopy off the dz. just a thought.

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

Are you comfortable landing off the dz under your stilleto?

Absolutely. Of course, our DZ makes Arizona look like a built up area.

Can you handle heavy traffic with it?

Certainly. I jump it even when we have FULL LOADS on our Porter.

just a thought.

No, I think it was more than a thought.

We have very different canopies these days, built for very different purposes, different events, different sports. There are fewer differnces between Cricket and Baseball than there are between Sequencial CRW and Speed Skydiving.

There is no way I'd use my Stilleto for Birdman, simply because, statistically, it would expose me to a higher risk of unrecoverable malfunction. I also wouldn't use it for a demo jump with a 70 KG flag into St Marc's square in Venice, Italy. That doesn't mean I can't handle my canopy.

No one drives a Formula 1 car in the Paris/Dakar.

There are no mountain bikes in the Tour De France.

No one wins Giant Slalom in cross country ski's.

No one shoots skeet with a Bisley rifle.

It's not because they can't handle their equipment. It's because doing so would be stupid - regardless of their skillset. To think anything else is clearly not thinking.

t
It's the year of the Pig.

Are you serious about this or just argumentative?

I mean, you know that on big ways air trafic on opening may be more of an issue, and that landing off may also be more frequent.

If you have 2 canopies, one with more docile openings and with a longer flight range for long spot, doesnt it make sense to us that on the big formations?

Same with landing off. While you can land both canopies off with success, the smaller more aggressive one will take more work. Why add that to the issue of a off DZ landing and select the proper tool for the job?
Remster

There is no way I'd use my Stilleto for Birdman, simply because, statistically, it would expose me to a higher risk of unrecoverable malfunction.

Seen that malfunction too many times. So do you think we should have some type of canopy type requirement if you are going to jump a birdman suit.

Let's focus on the "landing off". That is the part that has really bothered me. You can land off the dz at any time and you need to be able to handle those situation or upsize your canopy. Just because you are doing 4-way doesn't mean you are going to land on the dz. Is that statement wrong? Is there some guarantee out there that no one told me about, maybe skyride offers some type of land on the dz every non-bigway jump insurance.

I am unfamiliar with Formula One car racing, cross country skiing, and skeet shooting so I can't comment on any of those.:$

j
Be kinder than necessary because everyone you meet is fighting some kind of battle.

> You can land off the dz at any time and you need to be able to handle
> those situation or upsize your canopy. Just because you are doing 4-way
> doesn't mean you are going to land on the dz.

Doing 4-way makes it less likely that you will land off. A 4-way can check the spot and take it around; a diver on a 100-way can't. On a 100-way you're going to track about half a mile; on a 4-way it's a few hundred feet. On a 4-way you are not likely to have any cutaways; on a 100-way odds are you will see a cutaway (and perhaps chase it) during the event.

Is that a guarantee that you won't land off? No. But it makes it much less likely. Can I land my Nitro off-DZ? Yes, and have done so several times. But I have more of a margin of error with the Pilot. Put those two things together, and I am better off with a larger canopy on a big dive. For 300+ ways I use much bigger canopies, in the 140-170 sq ft range.