gasson

Near miss of plane while under canopy - link to video

5 years ago when I was working at the AF Academy, We had a cadet fall inbetween a glider and the tow plane as he was deploying. The left glider wing hit the canopy as it was deploying, and melted some of the f-111 to the wing. The glider pilots thought they hit a bird and detached from the tow plane and went and landed. The cadet didn't realise the situation had even happened, and landed his main, and went up to his next class. The next day he came back down and told us he had ripped his canopy. There was some of the yellow paint from the glider on his canopy too. The glider people thought they had just hit a big ass bird, as it wrinkled some skin on the leading edge of the left wing. There was a small piece of F-111 still melted to the leading edge of the wing. God loves Air Force Cadets.

Using GPS, a pilot is not relieved of his/her responsibility to recon their route and consult the sectionals...there's really no excuse for violating airspace in anything except for an emergency.

-S

That's just it! They aren't "violating" anything. DZs normally are at un-towered fields in Class G or E airspace. It is NOT a violation to fly over a DZ without talking to anyone.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

That's just it! They aren't "violating" anything. DZs normally are at un-towered fields in Class G or E airspace. It is NOT a violation to fly over a DZ without talking to anyone.

yeah, I guess that's right...poor phrasing with violating airspace..more like common sense, I guess. Nonetheless, if I planned my route over a DZ, I'd definately tune in and listen up...

yeah, I guess that's right...poor phrasing with violating airspace..more like common sense, I guess. Nonetheless, if I planned my route over a DZ, I'd definately tune in and listen up...

Many pilots, including myself never knew how big skydiving in the USA was until I started flying skydivers. It's like I had my eyes opened. Sadly, most of the pilots do not realize what is out there. That's why WE, the skydivers and jump pilots, must keep a vigilante waltch and EXPECT that no one else sees us.
Chris Schindler
www.diverdriver.com
ATP/D-19012
FB #4125

True re some pilots just not knowing.

There was a dz near where I used to live and learned to fly and it had been there for many many years. One day a fair while after gaining my PPL myself and about six other aircraft decided to go away for the weekend and the course to get there made us go over this private airfield with parachuting activity.

Nothing was happening on the way there but on the way back I heard the jump pilot calling just before jump run and told him where I was and would be staying 5 plus miles to the North while tracking towards home. The other planes behind followed suit and the jump pilot was rather pleased for a change.

On getting back to the home aerodrome I learnt that two of the other planes had Flight Instructors who had not even heard of skydiving in that area (even though they were clearly listed on the charts!!)

I was suprised to say the least!!

Then there are the gliders who have radios and dont bother listening to them lol!

Most of the problems I have ever had have been due to either having little or poor knowledge of what jumpers do and how they do it or just plain failing to monitor the ol radio!

BSBD! -Mark.

"A Scar is just a Tattoo with a story!!!"

I agree in theory, but in practicality... it isn't possible to see a plane flying 10,000 below and behind you every time even with a long scan. It all depends on the backround. Heck it sometimes takes a long time to see a plane 10,000ft above you from the ground with a solid backround and expecting to see one.

Just last week I pointed out traffic to another jumper while on downwind leg to jump run and he took about 20 sec to find it.

--------------------------------------------------
In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock. ~ Thomas Jefferson

thats totaly true kallend. we do not own any airspace we share it. its hypocritical to put all the blame on the pilot because you feel he's not doing his part checking for active dropzones. when most jumpers arent checking for a/c on exit. like tom buch stated, you should be able to see a/c that are in range of the dz. jumpers tend to put all the blame on pilots when its actually both partys not doing everything they can to avoid a/c collisions. keep in mind pilots have as much to loose as we do. their life. i try to remember that when my temper flares cuz some pilot is doing circles at 2000 ft to figure out what the swoop pond is! all the more reason to check really good for a/c on exit.
>