FrEaK_aCcIdEnT

tandem reserve rides

anyone ever experienced one? when i made my first jump i was messing with my TM. I asked her what are the odds for first jump to be a reserve ride in a tandem? :D:D Has anyone herd of a first jump end up bieng a reserve ride? If so... did they continue with the sport or decide that it was fate telling them they need to stay on the ground.:D

ExPeCt ThE uNeXpEcTeD!
DoNt MiNd ThE tYpOs, Im LaZy On CoRrEcTiOnS!

I've experienced one as a passenger, but I had over 100 jumps at the time. I was the "dummy student" for someone getting his rating.

Many people had reserve rides on their first tandems and didn't even know it until their instructor told them on the ground.

And I think Sunshine's first tandem had a cutaway. She's still jumping!

How about 3 in the last 6 weeks, and one them a double mal!!!!!

My students knew about 2 but the other one I just dealt with and he never knew the difference....

Given the low take up and progression of tandem students (here in the UK) I dont know whether the reserve rides were are factor in them not coming back.

Bryn
Journey not destination.....

My wife had one on her second tandem and I got the joy of watching the whole thing :o...

We also had a tandem cut-away last weekend at our dz, and the passenger never really knew what happened.

Tandem Master: How'd you like the freefall
Student: It was awsome
Tandem Master: Let do it again

***Cutaway***

Student thought it was all part of the show.

Tandem Master was a guy named Hutch. Good TM, Great sense of humour!

I would rather be a superb meteor, every atom of me in magnificent glow, than a sleepy and permanent planet.

And I think Sunshine's first tandem had a cutaway. She's still jumping!

2nd tandem was indeed a reserve ride, but no cutaway. Here's a pic of the drogue in tow. And yes, still jumping and lovin it!!

I get a Mike hug! I get a Mike hug!

Tandem Master: How'd you like the freefall
Student: It was awsome
Tandem Master: Let do it again

***Cutaway***

Funny...One of our TMs did the same thing...and then told the student he got the 2-for-1 Special. :D
My reality and yours are quite different.
I think we're all Bozos on this bus.
Falcon5232, SCS8170, SCSA353, POPS9398, DS239

I've had 3 tandem reserve rides. I continued with the sport.

None of the 3 passengers have continued in the sport, but the reserve ride wasn't why, they were single serving skydivers.
--"When I die, may I be surrounded by scattered chrome and burning gasoline."

I did not have a reserve ride as a tandem, but i did have 2 on solo status. jumps # 20 and 23 were reserve rides, neither my fault. i dont think a mal/ reserve ride early on necessarily mean that the sport is not for someone if it is something you love. I performed EPs like i was taught to on both of them and am still jumping. I dont think bowling is for me.
-Fish

Blue skies, Soft landings

I have seen a few tandem reserve rides. For the most part they were from tension knots. After ensuring we were walking the lines up again after we laid the canopies on the ground that cut the rides in half. Although sometimes stuff happens.

I know a girl in Florida who had a reserve ride on her first jump. She went through AFF with me and is now a tandem master.

14 tandem reserve rides, mostly with single serving skydivers.

Had a couple of bag locks, a couple of slider hang-ups, lots of tension knots, a few broken lines and a few holes big enough to drive buses through!

The worst was a hard pull on the drogue, resulting in my only tandem terminal reserve opening. We saw stars at high noon!

All my malfunctions were all on first generation, F-111 mains built by Strong.

Towards the end I was getting pretty blase', telling tandem level 2 students to "look at that broken line on the right side. We don't want to land it. Pull this red handle and arch some more."
Since converting to ZP tandems, my worst mal has been a tension knot and I landed that.

The worst was a hard pull on the drogue, resulting in my only tandem terminal reserve opening. We saw stars at high noon!

I packed one where the bridle wrapped around the drogue so it would not inflate. The cameraman was in a stand and actually had some good video of it. He got out of the way and the tandem deployed around 8k. The TM said it was the hardest opening he ever had in his life. After packing thousands of drogues the same way it only happened once. Sh?t happens.[:/]

:D:D Has anyone herd of a first jump end up bieng a reserve ride? If so... did they continue with the sport or decide that it was fate telling them they need to stay on the ground.:D

I have seen three tandem reserve rides. I was told the passengers were not phased by the cut away

"You did what?!?!"

MUFF #3722, TDSM #72, Orfun #26, Nachos Rodriguez