krkeenan

Weird Jump

I had the freakiest thing today. Tracking off after a small RW jump @ Sebastian, I was just pulling out my PC after waving off at 2500', and I dropped past a very large bird that was about 25-30 ft. away.

The bird was obviously trying to avoid me, as he was contorted in a wild position, that I think was a diving right turn. I picked up the motion about 30 degrees below the horizon, and off to my right. It scared the shit out of me, because at first, I thought of another jumper. But we were first out, with nothing but tandems behind us, and I was positive everyone in my group was begind me. About the time it passed my level (approx. 1 nanosec.) I realized it was a brown and white bird, and I was going to miss it. We have some big Turkey Buzzards around this part of Fla., and I think that's what it was. Anyway, it was gone in a fraction of a sec., and my PC was out by then. I started laughing as the main opened.

You have to rely on the "big sky" theory, which says that says, "I am a small object in a big sky, so chances are small that I will hit another object." However, I know that if I had hit that fucker, we both would have been toast. Oh well, danger is our business... ;)

Kevin K.
======================
Seasons don't fear the Reaper,
nor do the Wind, the Sun, or the Rain...

I saw that bird posting in the incidents forum on thier site. He was pretty PO'd. Luckily he makes it a habit of checking the air above him.

LMAO

What do you do when someone throws a big planet at you?
Throw your pilot chute in defense!

See, just another reason to do CRW. You wouldn't have that problem if you were doing CReW! ;):P:)
CReW Skies,
"Women fake orgasms - men fake whole relationships" – Sharon Stone
"The world is my dropzone" (wise crewdog quote)
"The light dims, until full darkness pierces into the world."-KDM

I always guessed birds didn't fly that high? But I don't really know how high birds do fly?

It's a funny one but that could have been bad. I;m glad it ended well.
"We've been looking for the enemy for some time now. We've finally found him. We're surrounded. That simplifies things." CP

Yep, I blew through a flock of them yesterday. Scared the hell out of me:o , it looked like a bigway breaking up. Nasty birds, though and pretty damn big too, would not want to collide with one. That's the closest I've ever been to birds.
L.A.S.T. #24
Co-Founder Biscuit Brothers Freefly Team
Electric Toaster #3
Co-Founder Team Non Sequitor
Co-Founder Team Happy Sock

I always guessed birds didn't fly that high?

Hawks, buzzards and geese do.

You ought to see a flying gaggle of geese in a large "V" formation freak out when a 20-way skydiving formation tracks off and opens in front of them. Now that was funny! (And darned near fatal for a few people.)

They didn't maintain discipline in that "V" formation very well. They scattered four sheets to the wind, quacking up a storm.

I think someone up here at Space Center mentioned seeing a bird yesterday too. Perhaps they had a kegger and weren't really into traffic avoidance.

Hit a Robin at 50 on my motorcycle - killed him - had a bulls eye bruise on my chest - luckily no broken ribs. One of our Florida Road Chickens would be bad news at terminal. Glad it was a miss.

---------------------------------------------
Every day is a bonus - every night is an adventure.